knitnana: Roanoke? It's a Snowstorm, Not TEOTWAWKI
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Roanoke? It's a Snowstorm, Not TEOTWAWKI

There can't be much on any shelf in any grocery store in Roanoke. I had enough sense to wait till after dinner tonight to stop by for the few little things I thought I needed, but I couldn't get IN the door of one store (heck, I couldn't park!). (And since I know the size of the store, and that people stand in lines all the way to the back of the store to check out? I didn't want to try it.)

So I went to another, bigger one. Better, as I didn't have to walk far from my parking space...but once inside? It looked as if there'd been a run on everything - mostly nothing in the produce section...shelves stripped almost bare. I didn't check the milk (I have plenty), but I did stop in the bakery section for bread - I got whole grain hard rolls, which fortunately I like a lot, but there was almost nothing in the "good bread" section at all!

I managed to get the ingredients for Mushroom Barley Soup (ok, I don't have sherry, but I hope a tablespoon of dry merlot will substitute?) because it's low points, and after tonight's splurge, I'm going to be good all weekend.

We had Mexican for our fundraising dinner. I had a mixed drink (there are many folks who know me well who will fall over in a dead faint on that knowledge...I don't drink "hard liquor" anymore).

But..Abuelo's Sangria Swirl? At 10 points? It was a huge splurge!!! (ok, with the wine in that, it's only "1/2 hard liquor!" *wink*

Still...I've started using my 5 pound weights and have been walking in place to up my step count. Surely that counts for something? I might even make myself plug in the old Jane Fonda exercise tape or maybe sit on the Health Rider for a bit? If nothing else, it will help keep me warm, right?

On an up note? I stopped at the PO today, and there was a prize I'd won on the Seasons of Lace Autumn Lace KAL...Lindsay made these lovelies for me...and you can check out her wares at her Etsy Shop. They're just great, Lindsay and I can't wait to use them on some lace. Hmm...maybe this weekend? They're so fragile and delicate, I think they need a suitable laceweight! Maybe I need to cast on another project?

Well, maybe I'll work on something a tad warmer this weekend, just to keep heavy wool in my lap...But these will get a good workout soon, as I have an itch to feel very thin yarn on my needles again...Thank you so much Lindsay!!!

I'll keep in touch, as long as the power holds out! Stay warm, and stay inside while the wind howls and the blizzard rages!

And we'll all pray it's not really The End of The World As We Know It!
((((hugs))))

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Cool stitch markers!

I think this is going to be a bad storm. Schools are closing early...the government is already on liberal leave...and you can taste it.

Stay safe and warm...that soup will be yummy!
*hugs*
:)

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like our stores as hurricanes approach. Actually, I've learned to stock more than food that doesn't need power to be cooked. The worst problem is AFTER the storm has passed. It disrupts the supply chain, and the stores have empty shelves for WEEKS.

I'd go to the store and say "Oh, look! They have toilet paper!". The one item that took the longest to replace? Sugar.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Stay safe & warm for the duration of the storm!! Think of it as extra time to knit & snuggle with The Meezer & CC.. {{{HUGS}}}

10:20 AM  
Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

I couldn't believe how bare the shelves were in Food Lion...and not just the usual run on bread, milk and eggs either! It seems to be getting worse with every storm. When they run out of wine, then I'll panic ;)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Very pretty stitch markers!
May you keep your power and stay warm!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

And I Feel Fine... (That's the song that'll be running through my head for the rest of the night now!) Glad you're home safe and sound and with food in the fridge. Stay warm!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!