knitnana: What Would You Do?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Would You Do?

I started knitting the size 39 Soleil yesterday. But today? I suddenly realized I hadn't checked my measurements and it's almost time to do that (Tuesday would be the actual day, but under the circumstances, I thought I'd better not wait...)

May I just say? "Wow!" I'm down 14.5 inches overall (that's counting each arm and leg by itself...I think I'm supposed to do that, right?)

In essence the 39 would fit now. But I'm not wearing Soleil in the middle of a snow storm *wink* so I'm kinda thinking I should rip what I've done and knit to the next smaller size? That would be a 36.

I'm just going to admit here that I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around that number. I haven't been a 36 since high school...(and I thought I was fat then!)

But as a frame of reference, I located this photo during a bit of organizing yesterday...
(Sorry for the blinding white shirt, that's a scan of an actual Kodak photo)

That's me and Big Sis in July 1998, two years before my heart attack and by-pass. We'd just had lunch at a restaurant known as Spinnaker's and they had wonderful (WONDERFUL) Flower Pot Bread (Whole Wheat). It was a personal favorite. (I know, you'd never have guessed, right?)

(Have you picked yourself up off the floor yet? I was at my heaviest then. I will only say that I hadn't quite made it to 200 pounds and I never did (Whew!). I am a whopping 5'2" tall. Okay, give or take 1/2 an inch.)
eta: I lost 10 pounds right after my by-pass surgery from following Dean Ornish's program for reversing heart disease - it's very restrictive with only 10% of calories from fat, and also vegan-centric. Vegetarian I can handle, but lacto-ovo-pesca vegetarian is about as far as I can go down that path. So after that, I lost and gained about 10 lbs. repeatedly over the next few years, including about 6 lbs. in the first part of 2009 because I started the CSA program and had so many veggies I'd paid a lot of money for, I had to eat them...that works, btw - lots of veggies! And it helped to change my perspective about food, too...So half of the weight loss was prior to my joining Weight Watchers in October, 2009).

Still - Vive la difference?
I think so...now - do I knit the 36? Can you see why I'm having trouble making that decision?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it depends: have you purchased new, er, "foundations" since your weight loss? If not, you probably will measure less right now with the proper size.

Then you should evaluate where you might trim down with the additional weight loss. I've known gals to get really thin on the back and have all their remaining weight in their hips, for instance.

Having said that, I'm cheering for the 36!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Wow, that is amazing, and look at those glasses! Isn't it incredible how accessories really tell the year? Congrats on your weight loss that is spectacular.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

The 36. Yup. Although I agree with Meezermeowmy that perhaps getting new foundation garments would make a difference, too. I know that it did for me! (It also did some lovely lifting and shaping that just emphasized the weight loss.) Of course, that means going out again before casting on... I guess I'm thinking that with a top like that, you don't want it too loose, or you'll have to wear something underneath it to keep unmentionables from peeking out.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Soleil is quite fitted. I wish that I had made a size bigger than my measurements, but I like a little room in my clothes.

Just think, if you get too small for this Soleil, you can make a smaller one later. ;)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'd say the 36. Soleil is a nice fitting pattern...the bigger one would bag and look wrong. IMHO

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

36. And go treat yourself to some really *good* foundational garments and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. NOT Victoria's Secret. Nordstrom usually has pretty well trained fitters. :-)

I'm looking into the Ornish stuff right now, thanks for posting it!

3:50 AM  
Blogger squiggi said...

Go for the 36!
If you knit as fast (slow) as me, you'll have to rip that one and make it smaller anyway.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!