knitnana: Snow Day - Snowy Weekend...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, February 01, 2010

Snow Day - Snowy Weekend...

There was absolutely NO getting out yesterday, as my hill was ice and snow, and it was late day before they did much of any clearing. Unfortunately? It had melted a bit, and last night? It went down to 10 degrees. I won't tell you what The Meezer did, because I bet you can guess, and you'd probably be correct. But before I went to bed last night, I learned that the Community College would be closed today, meaning my office was closed - WHOOHOO!! Snow Day!

Since I had two days to do this, I opened up my closet and decided it was time to try on everything and clear away the stuff that doesn't fit. (Ok...I didn't try on everything, because after a bit? I realized anything that was 1X was way too big, so it just got pulled.)

But I should start by saying that I've only done ONE closet. I have an entire wall of my bedroom (I know, don't hate, me, okay?) that is two huge closets. One I use for Spring/Summer clothes and the other for Winter. I felt I was only able to tackle the Winter one, and it was the most pressing.

We begin with the door - this is what was hanging there (except for two Nana Sadie Rose Kerri bags that I use for symphony. I'm keeping them - they still "fit!" *wink*

You'll see these again. Most of them are way too large, still, but without these? I have almost nothing to wear.
This is a shot of the closet angle to include the center and right-hand side:

And here's the left side of the closet - use the fuzzy red fleece turtleneck on the far right as a frame of reference to get the size of the closet as it's in both photos (next to the red plaid in the photo above)...

It got to be funny, actually. I probably should have thought to bring the space heater in, because I got quite chilly running around in my undies before I finished! But this is the Center of the closet with the few things I am hanging onto - that bunch on the left of the photo is really too large (most of the stuff from the door), but is okay for a bit:

The things in the middle? Those are the only things I have that fit! On the right are things that are ok, but loose. It's a good thing I have them, because they're pretty warm for the most part, and you know the weather we've been having!

And here's the Left side of the closet post-purge:

Lots of empty hangers, eh? :)

Here's the stack that's leaving:

Some of those will be put in a yardsale, and there are a few things too nice not to try to sell either on ebay, or to save until fall for the second-hand store. The rest will go to a charity store.

To be honest? I suddenly thought of a bin of clothes I hadn't opened in years. I pulled it (from the Spring/Summer closet) and opened it. It smells strongly of the cigarettes I used to smoke heavily, and so much of what's in there will have to be dry-cleaned...

Dry-cleaned? Yes. Because most of it includes Pendleton wool suits: Blazers and skirts, from the 1980-90s when I was a "career girl." They are the true size 10s and 12s - you know, before the American woman got "upsized" in clothing sizes? I can almost wear them. And I thought I'd gotten rid of all of them! It was delightful to find them, and I've pulled a few things to take to the cleaners...

But they might have to wait. Because this afternoon, I managed to get out, and I took the car for state inspection. There's a full brake job in my Forester's immediate future.

Priorities, you know? I can wear things that hang on me, but I can't take chances with either my life or anyone else's on the road...

(Oh, and the aqua Soleil has been frogged. Thank you all, I think I will reknit it at size 36!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! The closet looks fabulous, and completely devoid of any temptation to gain weight back :) Get those brakes, and then you'll be ready to get some clothes again just in time for a new summer wardrobe (or at least one or two really good things for summer) :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! You really are an inspiration! I admire you getting rid of everything and committing to a life change. Your closet looks wonderful all clean and ready for the "new you"! *hugs* :)

7:20 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

What a big job - and exciting!

You know what's funny, after meeting you at SS09, I've never once thought of you as overweight. I think that slender person you are becoming was projecting out of you even then.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your next assignment: fill those hangers with pretty things that fit! (Yes, I know, after the brake job.)

I'm so proud of you!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Wow!! Look at all those reds! Your closet looks great.. {{{HUGS}}}

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!