knitnana: Be Careful What You Wish For...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For...

You know, it's really hard when you hear that a snow storm is on the way, and you know very well that if schools are closed, the office will be too...it's hard not to think "Oh, a SNOW DAY!! Yes, please? I'd love a little time for R&R."

Well, you do have to be careful what you wish for, because if you have just one snow day, that's fine, and a fun break, but when it's more than that, when it stretches to 4 work days with a weekend in there, too, especially when you've already had a week of 3 days off the week before that due to snow?

Well...then you know in your bones that there will be H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks to pay.

Today was a late opening day (we were in the office at 10 a.m.). Less than one day to catch up on the past 4 days off. Because you know the work is still there, you still have to get it done, there's no way around that!

And then? If you add onto that, everything electronic in that office apparently malfunctioned while we were gone? Can I tell you how much fun we had today?
*wink*
Everything is pretty much under control now, but we had service technicians all over the place today. So I think, in the future, I'll be careful what I wish for!

And of course, there's this little clipper coming down thru on Monday (which by the way, is a holiday for us!)...Robin Reed (my favorite weatherman) said something about another 1-3 inches - and he ducked when he said it, too!

So at lunch today, while I took a short breather, I opened my bloglines and read Stephanie's invitation to the Knitting Olympics. And I thought, "I could do something...surely?" And off I went with my brain cycling through what might be challenging enough but not ridiculously challenging, because I'd want to finish, really I would. I didn't want to do anything I didn't already have in stash, or needed either patterns or needles for, just on the general principle of striving this year to mostly not buy, or at least not buy much...

I went around on knitting a sweater (since I've never done one) and decided that was too much of a challenge, and then I thought "a vest?" well...I only have certain yarns in stash that would work, and I wasn't really vested (GRIN!) in that...

So I suddenly thought - colorwork?

I'm batting around the possibilty of a pair of two color alpaca mittens in worsted weight, but haven't found a pattern yet - it's got to be free. Any ideas will be accepted.

And then I remembered this:

Bought as a kit for this:

Too much? Do I have the time? Am I totally crazy? Should I mention that I'm not a person who even watches the Olympics? (Tho' to be honest, IF I watch, it's the Winter Games I like to see...)

But after all, I have bags to make, too. And work!

So give me your opinions if you will? I have a few hours before I have to commit to something and tell Stephanie what I'm doing so she can add me to her list. And if you think I've lost my mind, it's okay to tell me that, too!

One thing we finally had to do today was visit the vet for a clinical reason:

Someone had to have yet another "delicate" procedure. She's fine, if a bit uncomfortable tonight...and while we were there, we had blood drawn.

Missy is going to be 9 years old this summer. And next week, she's going to have to have her teeth cleaned for only the second time. I wanted to be sure she'd be okay for the anesthetic...

(shhh...please don't tell her, because after tonight? I'll never get her back in the carrier if she knows...)

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

She'll thank you when she has clean teeth. Okay, probably not, but she should. :)

I think you should go for that hat!! It's totally adorable and considering your weather lately, completely practical. The Winter Olympics have the best competitions. Well, except the gymnastics. ;)

How long does the Olympics last? Two weeks?

9:21 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

The hat is pretty great. And the yarn - what fun that would be to knit. Colorwork kind of pulls you through it (at least I keep telling myself that as I get ready for a Bohus hat for Ravelympics).

I think you can do it, but I don't know how long your order list is, either!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Honestly, I think you can do anything you put your mind to. But I have to admit, I am partial to that hat. I adored from the moment it came out.
*hugs*
:)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Mum's the word... :)

I think you should go for the hat! It's fabulous, and it's not like you can only knit it while watching the Olympics (in case you don't want to spend that much time watching people hurl themselves around on white stuff -- me, I'm a sucker for the Games). Even if you don't finish in time for the closing ceremonies, you'll be well on your way and motivated to finish! If it makes you feel any better, I've signed on for a sweater, lace and cable, and am going to be out of town for the entire last weekend of the Olympics. Join me in my insanity :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Sallee, it totally escaped my mind that you were one of the many folks mired in snow up to your eyeballs. I do hope you and yours survived relatively unscathed.

The hat is adorable. What did you decide? I'll still cheer for you either way.

Oh, and Miss Meezer will be ever so grateful - once she gets over being handled by strangers.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!