knitnana: Fall is in the Air...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Fall is in the Air...

Anne is harvesting winter squash along with her tomatoes and zuccini and eggplants and that always gets me to thinking about fall...I adore winter squash, and then I always think about butternut squash soup, which makes me think it's time for the leaves to turn, and the A/C to be turned off...

But I think it's a little early for that yet, even if it is Labor Day Weekend. Over at Nana Sadie's Place I'm telling the tale of one large 'mater...but I thought I'd share a glimpse of it here, too. My lunch today:

Once I finished that, I had the strength the finish these three additional bags for the cat show next weekend:

None of those fabrics is new...you've seen them before I think.

And when I'd done as much as I could stand at the cutting table and sewing machine, I allowed my fall wistfulness to take hold, and I brought out:

The yarn to make my Corrugator Red Scarf. This is Encore DK. I couldn't make my Harmony size 5s work with this dark yarn, so I went to the only size 6s I had - a circular - but it's bamboo, so I'm seeing the stitches better! I'm going to try Norma's trick of 5x readers if I can locate some, because when I make a mistake these days? I cannot see them, even with my tri-focals. (sigh)

I don't know if Jocelyn has decided to admit out loud (other than to me) that we're going to be buddies and try to keep each other in check when it comes to buying new yarn this fall. With her university cutting across the board with a 10% furlough, that's tough, and we're not 100% sure what the state here is going to do this fall, tho' there's been discussion of our creating budgets for 7% and 10% reductions. I'm thinking that even without that, I'd like to reduce my spending down about 10%, partly because I'd like to save for a special event in the spring to attend, and partly because I think it wouldn't hurt to have that extra savings in the bank, either...

So, completely without Jocelyn's agreement, and totally using something that's been on my blog for a couple of years, thanks to Becky who made the blog button back then, without further ado, I hope I'm going to adopt a bit of a "make-do" mindset around here for a bit...



In fall, I want to dig into stash anyway, and see what's been pushed to the back, what I've forgotten about...You know, I get into "use it up" mode...

And then, this is when I really start to feel that fall is in the air:

I got a couple pairs of Birks this week from QVC - they had a really good deal on them - but the larger box sat on the sofa for a few days, because it was a good size and I was thinking surely I could pack some things up for the yard sale my sis-in-law and I keep saying we're going to have. Today I discovered that CC had decided that I must have arranged for her to have a new nest. Once I realized she'd appropriated the box for her purposes, I tossed in one of her towels...

And ever since? The Meezer has been determined to make it HER box, to much hissing and spitting on CC's part...yet another sign of cooler temps to come...they become "waallooween" cats (as Lynette is fond of saying) and begin their skittering around the place, tearing up and down the stairs and across the furniture...

Children!

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I had to laugh at the description of the cats! I know how that goes :) And I'm glad you outed us! I'll have to borrow the logo for my blog and make sure I write about it when I post next -- I'm glad you're in this one with me, I need the support of a good friend! ;)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oh, I love the photo of CC napping! I have been spending the weekend cleaning up here and there, and now ready for some knitting time. It became apparent that I had plenty of projects to finish AND plenty of stash. I did order some more roving, though, as I have spun up much of what I had and am skipping the fiber fairs this fall in order to save money. I grabbed the button, though.. nice.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

Hey, I have that bag in the back!

I do think it's too early to talk about fall. It isn't going below 80 here this week.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!