knitnana: Best Money I Spent At Sock Summit
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Best Money I Spent At Sock Summit

I've detailed a lot about Sock Summit here, and almost three weeks later, I'm still thinking about it, and evaluating everything I did. Today was a day to distill some of my thoughts and try to convey a bit of it to you (since I was a tad under the weather).

I paid for two lectures, a 3-hour class, and 2 one-hour "wonders" - a little bit of change spent, and I wouldn't trade any of it. But if you take the two lectures out of the mix (which were totally awesome and on an entirely separate plane from the classroom experiences), the class that will no doubt pay me many many times over the original tuition price was Merike Saarniit's "Darn It!" one-hour class.

We had to knit a swatch as homework prior to the class, and bring contrasting yarn. And once class got started...she made us cut a hole it the swatch (about the hardest thing I've done in knitting, it was a lovely swatch...)
But then, she told us how to fix it...(ok, that's not the best sewing job, but normally? I use a sewing machine to stitch).

So...do you remember this?
My beloved Claudia's Ingrids Blues Mock Cable sock. I hadn't worn it very long when that hole appeared. And that hole? It was my soul (sole?) motivation for taking this class.

Tonight, while watching tributes to Senator Edward Kennedy, I did this:
No, it's not perfect...and I don't know yet, if I've put too much in there to make the heel comfortable to walk on, but it looks better, and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

Thank you so much Merike!

(OH...and if you happen to be headed to one of the next two Stitches events? I'd see if I could snag this class. Not just because it was worth every penny - but because Merike is so much fun!)

10 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Classes are the best thing about knitting events. Learning new techniques can be such a kick. You did a great job! I received a lovely package last evening and it's full of wonderful goodies. The yarn is yummy and so are the cookies. Thank you!!!!!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

You know, that was the one class that I didn't sign up for that I second-guessed myself on again and again. I'm so glad that it was such a good one!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Looks like a great repair job! Glad that class worked so well for you.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh, excellent! I hope it's comfy to walk on but that's just a great knitting technique to have in your repertoire.

I'll keep an eye out for her class if she's at Sitches West next year.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Nice job on the heel - and from darning DH's Felted Footies again & again, I can tell you that the darn area will flatten out after it's worn.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Now that is a skill worth having! Nice job on the heel.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I learned to darn years ago, about six months after I had started on the plan of making all of DH's boot socks! You did an excellent job for first real-time sock-with-a-hole. Now, get a darning egg, which I believe makes it easier to darn without puckering... try Lehmans, a store catering to non-electric types.

6:03 PM  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

I want to go to that class but, alas, too far! LOL I inherited MIL's darning needles and thread all organised in a tin and would have no idea where to start. That is such a useful skill to have!

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Merike Saarniit said...

Thank you thank you thank you... Just so you know, I'm all goose-bumpy and lumpy throated here right now. Knowing that I've made a difference in the life of a well-knit and much appreciated sock means a lot to me. xxx - m

12:38 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

Where? What hole? I don't see any hole! Amazing!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!