knitnana: Total Befuddlement Saturday..
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Total Befuddlement Saturday..

Before I left for Sock Summit (yes, I know, here I go again, the topic that just won't end...), I considered the fact that those of us who were going were getting terrifically excited about what turned out to be a pretty amazing event, but that we were going to have to come home, the event would end, we'd come back to our lives, and the letdown would be rough.

I did my best to console myself, that I wouldn't have time for that, I'd be right into preparation for that Cat Show in DC (note the ticker above...it's so darn close!), and of course, the rest of my work commitments...

Surprise!
(or not...depending on your perspective)

It does not matter how much I prepared myself, nor how much I have to do (in fact, I think that makes it worse).

The letdown is enormous. And I don't think I'm alone, either...(I'm seeing folks on the Sock Summit group on Ravelry continuing to discuss how wonderful the event is and when is the next one...and what was bought, and what their regrets are (yes, I've also participated in such discussions...I'm every bit as into this as they are!)

I'm trying to push myself, but I am also reminding myself that I wasn't as up to snuff as usual when I left on the trip, and I'm not bouncing back either...(surprise, again!) It was after all, major mileage and timezone hopping, which I have never done before...

So. I'm making myself to-do lists, and crossing things off. The old stand-by behavior for when a person is under stress of any kind - CONTROL WHAT YOU CAN, and recognize your TANGIBLE progress...

So:
Yesterday I finished the Neopolitan Disco socks (that's my Personal Sock Club July edition, and is a plain vanilla sock with 2x2 rib cuff. I knit them on my trusty size 1.5s, but - this is complicated - I started on my new Addi Lace Needles, then realized I could not risk losing those needles to TSA, so I switched to the Hiya Hiya bamboos that The Meezer munched on, then to my least favorite set of Knitpicks Harmony needles (because the bamboos went on the feather & fan socks I just finished). I guarantee you they look fine, none the worse for the switching out of needles...
:)
So that's my first accomplishment (knitting-wise).

I've been reading two EZ books - yes, I tend to do two or six things at once, why do you ask? Isn't that "multi-tasking?"): The Opinionated Knitter and Knitter's Almanac, both available from Schoolhouse Press. It seems to me that it's only appropriate to buy the books from EZ's company, run by her daughter, Meg Swanson, now. I wouldn't think of getting them anywhere else, hence the link you're given. We knitters need to support our own!!!

But I digress...

I'm reading EZ because I never have. (ok, don't get nutty on me, I haven't because I've never had any reason to want to knit a sweater, and that's where EZ was in my head - a sweater knitter - yes, I know I was dense. I'm working on it.)

I'm hoping to make a BSJ (Baby Surprise Jacket) with the donated yarn from last year for NoSoKnit this year:

Yes, unfortunately, that is what I am required to work with. I'm not looking forward to it. Well, except that I do hope to learn something of EZ in the process...(of course, I know she'd recommend WOOL!)

Remember this yarn?
I started the toe before I left for SS09 because I had packed everything else. I left it at home. When I started working on it (this is the Personal Sock Club August edition, Trekking 173), I didn't realize I'd added 2 stitches more to each needle (4 sts total) making the width of the foot just too wide for me.

It was frogged and reknit yesterday...I'm now back where I was when I left for Portland. Because this is the August edition of the Sock Club, I'm hoping to finish it before I go to DC. We'll see...

Because of course, the reason I'm going to DC is the cat show, so you know I'm sewing too, right? I've been working on existing orders, too. Today I've washed fabrics, and am starting on regular laundry, doing some cleaning that is desperately needed, too...

And still not feeling all the best - not quite sure what the next step will be for my back, but I can tell you for sure that I'm not giving acupuncture a third try - it might be that my version of fibromyalgia just makes it too uncomfortable (I also cannot be hypnotized, for what that's worth), or perhaps the heat lamps affect my Lupus too negatively, but either way, it's just not for me.

Anyway. I didn't want you to think I'd fallen off the end of the earth, and I was at a good point for a sit-down rest between "stuff."

I'm fortunately not depressed (that was my very worst concern - that I'd come back from SS09 and slip into a deep funk, all the excitement gone...BAM). I'm very relieved about that!!! I'm just ...

Tired. Hm. That's it. I'm Tired.
(explains why it was almost 10 when I rolled out of bed today, right? Oh, well that and the RAIN...we're getting a bit mildewed around here - lots of storms, flood watches, BILL - that hurricane off the coast and a front, I think. Our beautiful Blue Ridge acts like the sides of a bowl, funneling water down into the valley that is where I live...)

Ok. Time's up. Back to work!

9 Comments:

Blogger Geraldine said...

I wonder how many handknit socks you have Sallee? It's amazing all that you produce. I am still struggling to find the inspiration to tackle those TINY needles!!!

Hugs to you,G

1:12 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Glad you are home and had a good sock summit. Sorry your befuddled.

Stop having rain and sending it north. We've had a very rainy summer and it's getting not fun.

A tree came down yesterday in the storm.

Good luck with your sewing and knitting.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your finished socks are lovely! Well done!

Don't despair about the acrylic yarn. This spring I knit a white baby blanket from acrylic, because 1) I had the yarn and 2) it was going to a "non-fiber" household with a new baby. Friends advised that it softened up significantly after going through the washer AND the dryer. They were right - it became something I was proud to give.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I know all about that tired feeling -- I can't seem to get enough sleep to feel recovered! And yet, you're still sewing and working and knitting such gorgeous socks! I'm sorry your back's still not feeling as good as it should; I'm betting that doesn't help, either (I find pain to be tiring in and of itself). Hang in there, and know I'm sending hugs :)

11:34 PM  
Blogger margene said...

Take care of yourself. Eat well, sleep much and don't worry about what you can't do, think of what you can do. Feel better soon!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

It seems to me you are getting a tremendous amount done. And I needed to sleep all last weekend to recover, without the added drain of fibromyalgia and Lupus. You are really doing quite well, just not as well as you'd like.

Cat show? I haven't read enough of your posts to know - do you show the Meezer?! My husband and I went to a cat show once and for the rest of our lovely felines lives (they lived to be quite old, but are now gone), we'd frequently deem one of them "first best cat!" I'm sure Meezer is FBC to all who know him/her.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

I am not sure that you should be knitting with Red Heart while you are still in withdrawal from Sock Summit. It might plunge you into a deep depression from which you would not quickly recover.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Beautiful socks! And I hope you find EZ's books as life changing as I did when it came to my knitting and willingness to experiment.. {{{HUGS}}}

10:06 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Delighted to hear you are going to make a Baby Surprise... you will find it fun and challenging both! I love, love, love the latest socsks - how can you call them 'plain vanilla' when they are so jazzy?! NOT delighted to hear that your back is giving so much trouble... hope you can find the right course of action quickly. I want to know how many handknit socks you have, too...

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!