knitnana: Pinch Me! I'm Dreaming!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, September 04, 2009

Pinch Me! I'm Dreaming!

Way back 5 years or more ago, I stopped mass-producing fun fur scarves to sell at my craft show booths (because it's much easier to knit something while we sit than it is to bring along the sewing machine - and just what else do you DO with 100 fun fur scarves?) I started knitting Prayer Shawls. The first one turned out okay (but I'd decided early on that I would keep it because I wasn't that great a knitter and I needed to make the first one for myself so as not to embarrass myself. (Lots of mistakes in that shawl, too.)

I still have it, it's draped on the back of my office chair and in the winter, with the thermostat turned down to keep the electric bill down, it's quite nice to pull it over my shoulders (yes, I'll be working on something nicer than this Lion Brand Homespun that squeaks when I knit it and will replace this shawl.) After I finished that one, I started another with a plan to gift it to a charity.

Only I couldn't stand it. Somehow I'd gotten ahold of an even nastier batch of Homespun, splitty crackly stuff that made my skin crawl to knit. (The color is Blue Ridge, which had a bit of redeeming value, at least...)

Every so often over the years, I'll pull it out and knit a few rows. And tonight I finished it.

I still need to make the fringe and weave in the ends, but the knitting is done. It will be donated to NoSoKnit at the end of the month. And that then will free up my charity knitting time to make a Red Scarf for Norma's pet project. I have a lovely Encore black/red tweed, unless I run out for some true red Paton's...and probably a Corrugator Scarf to send...and you can contribute to the special fund that knitters have set up to assist these young college-going orphans in times of emergencies...stop by here or drop by Norma's for more info.

Anyway, here's the unfinished shawl - ends to be woven in, fringe to be cut, formed, and attached. Hope I can do it in a few days...I'd love not to think about it again when I head for DC next week - to know it's FINISHED!!!

This was one of the 4 items I wanted to complete in Rainy's Basket o' Doom! I think I've done three now...

Along with the sewing I accomplished tonight, and the pasta, pesto, & chopped fresh tomato dinner I had, I'm feeling quite in control of my own destiny tonight - it's nice to feel as if you can manage to cook, clean, produce food, make clothing and items to sustain your livelihood and such...!

Doncha know?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember blue ridge - I threw away a shawl project I started in that stuff. You're right- nasty!

By the way, before you spend a lot of time cutting, you should know that the fringe of that yarn will totally unravel. Try a little sample first. My friend Dez suggests making knotted fringe if you need it.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Barbara-Kay said...

I should have also said congratulations on finishing a long-lingering project. That must feel great!

6:32 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Congratulations on finishing a shawl in a yarn that looks and feels so good but knits so bad (in my opinion).

And yes, self sufficiency, with a goodly measure of having enough to give to others (your shawl), is a wonderful feeling.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, good for you! It's a gorgeous color, but it's hard to make yourself knit something that doesn't feel good, I'm glad it's done :) And yes, it is nice to have one of those moments where you feel like all is right in your world -- I'm glad you got to have one last night :)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Good job in the personal best dept! I had thought the same thing, it would be nice for prayer shawls, washable, etc., and just eyed the unfinished one I have... I may just lack your determination.

5:57 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow! This gives me hope that I will finish something some day. Congratulations, Sallee!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!