knitnana: Resurfacing...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Resurfacing...

Hi
Well. I went to work today.

That in and of itself shouldn't suprise anyone who knows me. I do that a lot.

But you know what? I'm a different person from the one who left on Tuesday afternoon to drive to Charlotte:

I.AM.A.KNITTER.NOW.

You thought I already was???? HA!

No. I was a knitter.
(I can't figure out how to reduce the font size...if I could, it would be miniscule and quite faint.)

How do I explain what I mean by that?

Do you remember (those of you "of a certain age") when Helen Reddy first sang I am Woman, Hear me Roar? (ok...the rest of you bear with me here)

The first time I heard that song (actually I really saw Helen sing it on TV) - I felt powerful. It was an anthem of sorts, a song of strength. I was actually a member of a consciousness raising group at that time, and I remember how it felt to have that connection with other women, lots of women, different ages, different socio-economic levels, educational levels, colors, creeds. That song can take me back there so fast.

It was "sisterhood."

(Forget the feminist connotations of the song, forget the negativity of the times, please? Just for a bit? Give me a minute to try to make the analogy?)

Being at Stephanie's talk on Tuesday night, spending time with KNITTERS (and knitters, too), women AND men - well, it was empowering. Stephanie talked about wanting to validate us as knitters (since so many folks in this world trivialize what we do...and she's right - oh wow is she right).

Well, my boss - whom I adore, okay? - had a good chuckle when she learned where I was going on my mid-week "vacation." As did my landlady and a lot of other non-knitters. Not many people could understand why on earth I'd go so far, drive the hours we did, into the wee-small hours of the night...for a KNITTING HUMORIST? ("oh, what's that?")

Okay. But you know what? I came back a KNITTER.

And I'll never be the same again.

So what did I do when I got home tonight? Remember this?

It's been in hibernation for a long, long time. There are too many mistakes, as it was a very early lace project. I tried to rip it completely out and ended up with knots all over it.

It's frogged. And since I really love the pattern (but not so much the yarn), I'm going to find another pretty yarn to make it in...

Because?
Thanks to a wonderful batch of terrific, like-minded people on Tuesday?

I AM KNITTER HEAR ME ROAR!!!
Muwahhaaaahhaaaa!!!
(((Hugs)))

9 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Hey, Good for you. I can hear you roar. Keep it up.

Debbie

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it a nice feeling? :)

Emailed you the details BTW...

9:18 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

*roar* back at ya! :-)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Roar loud and proud! :-)

9:45 PM  
Blogger errs said...

Now I have Helen Reddy running through my brain... LOL

Good for you for frogging! Hey I knit my husband a sock and started the 2nd one and decided I hated them and frogged them. He's got size 13 feet! Another pair has been started and the 1st one is already finished. :D

12:28 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I understand your analogy completely!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Roar away girl friend! Self empowerment is an amazing thing. You can do anything! Watch out world here comes Sallee! *hugs* :)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I felt the same way when I saw her in NY. We are knitter hear us ROAR!

11:05 AM  
Blogger kat said...

lol great!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!