knitnana: It's All About the Socks!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, April 06, 2008

It's All About the Socks!

Today's been busy, what with trying to finish up orders for Nana Sadie Rose in advance of taking a couple of days off, but I still wanted to update you on my knitting...

Big Sis's socks are finished! This, you may remember, is yarn she bought at Knit Happens in Alexandria and mailed to me to make her a pair of socks. The yarn is C*eye*ber Fiber, the colorway is Augustus. I used my Harmony size 1s (my standard sock needle) with Judy's Magic Cast On. The Mock Cable pattern is one I've used many times from the Toe-Up sock class I took through NeedleCraft U a couple of years ago...I have to tell you, I wasn't in love with the merino/tencel blend yarn. It's very similar to one I got from Zen Yarn Garden in the Art Walk Sock Club. The yarn feels yummy as can be. But it's really soft and slippery to work with, and splits rather easily with the Harmony's sharp tips. Perhaps if I used regular bamboo needles? The other thing that worried me, tho' I don't see a problem with the completed socks, is that my fingers are very dry and can snag on yarn this soft when I don't have enough lotion on them. (ok...whose problem is that? The yarn's? Or mine? lol!)

I can't tell you I didn't enjoy the knit. The yarn feels lovely. But I am not sure I'll pick a merino tencel blend in the future.

Now...because I was getting close to finishing my sister's socks and I really knew that I needed a pair of blue/brown socks of my own, I cast on my old standby favorite all around sock yarn - Yup. Trekking XXL in color 176. It has a bit more mustardy-gold in it that I usually wear, but it's a pretty tweedy yarn (and I do so love my tweeds!). I've just been knitting on it a little here and there...

and I haven't decided on a cuff pattern yet. I might have to break out the stitch guides and find something new!

But this one? STR Atomic 6 is the yarn and the colorway...all that gorgeous purpley-fushia-teal is just, well, it's absolutely my favorite. I started it this weekend for my trip yesterday to Chateau Morrisette, and also to have a really gorgeous sock OTN for photos with the Yarn Harlot on Tuesday. My plan is to do my old stand-by, absolutely favorite all-time pattern Feather & Fan on the cuff...and yes, I'm vain enough to color coordinate what I'm knitting to what I was wearing yesterday! It also coordinates with my new Posy...oh! I'll have to show you THAT, too!

This is also the first time I've tried to coordinate my sock bag to my handbag (the first Knitnana) which also goes with the majority of my clothes.

I'm sure it's a little odd to think that I don't do that as a matter of course? Well, I think it's a little like the cobbler's children. Nana Sadie Rose makes lots of bags for everyone else, and seldom has taken the time to make something for herself...What I usually do, is adopt a bag that I like, but for whatever reason hasn't sold. That usually means it isn't something I'd have chosen to make for myself, but will do!

I kinda like carrying a coordinating set!

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely socks! I like how your Posy coordinates. Very cute!

9:41 PM  
Blogger RoxanneZYG said...

Your socks are great! The merino/tencel takes some getting used to though - it is slippery! Bamboo needles help with that :) We haven't done the merino/tencel blend yet with the ART WALK club but we did a bamboo blend that will be similar but nowhere near as slippery because it's only 20% and not 50%. It does have a sheen to it too like tencel. Okay, now that I've written a book, off I go...LOL!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think coordinating knitting projects and bags is a must!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I really like the way the cuff looks on that sock...and yet it seems strangly familar lol ...love the coordiated posy! :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Good job on taking care of yourself. I know how it is to give away (or sell) all of your handcrafts and have litte left for yourself (although my recent knitting has all been for me!)

I am terrible about abusing my hands in the garden or cleaning until they are like scouring pads that snag everything. Lately, I've been putting on lotion at night with those thin cotton gloves (from the $1 store) and my hands are much better. I only wear the gloves for a short time when I go to bed. It's worth the effort!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

It's nice to see how the Augustus knits up. I have some of that sitting waiting patiently, although I'm not sure it's the tencel blend. I also have an Atomic 6 on the needles, except it's the other end of the sock - LOL! Nice work!

3:23 PM  
Blogger margene said...

I think you have all the sock mojo!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Pretty socks! I especially like the colors in the STR socks, and coordinating with the bag is very cool.

9:12 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Wow! The socks and bag look gorgeous. Hope that if I cannot meet up with you tomorrow that you get a hold of my friend Aimee/funfairiegirl

11:03 PM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Oooh, I have some Atomic 6 in a S2S kit that I'm gonna spin up one day. LOVE that colorway! Your socks look great.

And I like the matchy bag very much. :-)

12:19 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh, Sallee. I really like those socks. Nicely done!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!