knitnana: She Knew Me? Wow!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

She Knew Me? Wow!

It's a small world when you're blogging, a very, very small world. It amazes me that I've now met several knitbloggers from afar that I didn't think I would ever (and all in the space of 4 days!)...the most astonishing of these was one of my most esteemed (yes, I really DO use that word) knitbloggers - Stephanie Pearl-McPhee! And when I told her who I was, she KNEW me!

(at least she said she did, and I have no reason to believe that she would lie...right? OK...PINCH ME??? I'm dreaming, right?)
lolol

Our little roadtrip began about 12:45 yesterday as we headed out from Roanoke, and evenutally careened down I-77 towards Charlotte, NC:

Sandra's sock was enjoying the view from the side of the car, over the ridgetops, looking WAY down (yes, way, WAY down) into the valley below...Yours truly was getting a touch queasy at the sight...I don't do heights well, but the camera was fine, and it's a point and shoot!).

We finally arrived at Borders about 15 minutes later than we'd planned and learned that we could get our wristbands for the book signing, but NOT be seated till 5. So off we went for a snack, vowing to eat a better meal after the event was over...

When we got back, seats were set up and we were forced to realize that the front row wasn't to be ours...(sigh). Still we got seats that weren't too far away, and settled in to wait and knit...

That's Lynette in lavender, then Sandra, and Becky from Knitter's Knook on the right...(Sandra disappeared to take a brisk walk around the mall, reappearing after Becky and I had done some damage in the Borders bookstore...we'll, I think they were happy about the damage we did to our credit cards, at least! (more on that in a bit)

Here you can see those sitting behind us, waiting...

And those sitting in front of us...

(The crowd got bigger - I didn't get a good shot of the cafe in the balcony, but there were knitters up there, as well as below - and that was where I ran into several bloggers I hadn't expected to meet! You know it probably helps that my car clearly identifies who I am...people could see that Knitnana was present and accounted for! Yes, I am a geek!!)

When Stephanie arrived, my camera decided to take only dark, grainy photos that were clearly NOT complimentary...so I won't show those...You'll see shots from others, I'm sure...

She was hysterically funny, there were times I laughed till I cried...I must say I worry about her on this trip as I can't see how on earth she'll get any rest. They've got her running every day, for crying out loud. Reminds me of the old saying "if it's Tuesday this must be Belgium" and how she can be sharp and witty and not falling down in a puddle of exhausted tears is beyond me. Of course, she's younger than I am, so that probably helps a lot, huh?

Still...the Knitnana hopes she gets a good opportunity for a break somewhere in all this!

When her talk was over, we lined up for the book signing, and photos. Just ahead of me, a lovely young gal had her first steek with her. She asked Stephanie to help her...
The poor gal was trembling so (I'd have been petrified!). The knitting in this vest was just so impressive - gorgeous work, and with Stephanie's encouragement and support, the steeks were cut! I held my breath in support - we all did!

Finally, it was my turn, and like I said, when she heard me say "I'm Sallee, I'm Knitnana" and she looked up with surprise and said, "You're Knitnana? Oh! Hello!" I was so surprised!!! She graciously signed every one of her books that I'd brought with me and one for a friend who couldn't attend, then took my sock and I took hers, for this shot!
(I gave her a little something from Kimberly (her stalker), and another little something from me...then as I started to turn away, she called after me, "That's a lovely shawl, isn't it from Folks Shawls?

You know what, folks? That Stephanie...she doesn't just know her stuff. She knows EXACTLY what to say and how to say it to make you feel as if you're really special and such an accomplished knitter (I'd guess she can do this even if she can tell you're really only a so-so-knitter, or a newbie, or whatever). I was so pleased (because I'd been a rough-around-the-edges newbie when I knit that shawl!). I almost danced right there...

And yes, it was from Folk Shawls - my favorite knit of all time (so far), my Highland Triangle Shawl. Stephanie you made my night, just by noticing...(((hugs)))

Here we all are after the signing...the Roanoke Contingent posing for the camera:


We headed over to Fridays for dinner (at 10:30!) and then finally got back on the road...

We determined that Borders has to make out like a bandit whenever our Stephanie shows up...Here are the two books I picked up:

The Cokie Roberts book I'd heard about on NPR yesterday morning and made a note to look for when I got to Borders...it was 30% off, so I was pleased...

And this one has been in my shopping cart for some time...it wasn't on special, but I still decided I wanted it - there are so many patterns I think I might consider knitting (um...yes, I DO think I might try one of these SWEATERS!)

Isn't that cable action great?

And this one is just so flattering...

There are also a couple of shawl patterns there I'd consider - overall, probably 3/4 of the book is something I think I'd seriously add to my queue!

We got back to town about 3:30 this morning (um...I think we probably were a touch nuts to attempt this just this way, but I'm SOOOOOOO glad we did - we had so much fun!)...and I finally realized just how far I got on my STR Atomic 6 sock during the evening last night...and knitting in the car when Lynette was driving (we shared the duties). Here's a shot of the sock, and Stephanie's new book, signed by my heroine!


And yes, there were disgruntled kitties in the house upon my arrival...food was dispensed...snoozes next to the MIP (most important person) were allowed during the "night" (I woke up at 11 this a.m. with a Meezer curled under the covers with me)

I think CC is especially glad I'm back!

Just a note - if you have the chance and can even go a bit out of your way? Go see this lovely ambassador for our people? Stephanie is so very special, and I think it's wonderful that she allows us into her life for even a little bit. She's funny and she's cool.

It will be well worth your time and effort. And when you see her? Give her an extra little squeeze - because this has to be one of the most gruelling ways to make a living ... a book tour? Blogging is so much easier! Perhaps we can lend her a little strength if we just hug her a little extra bit?

Bless you Stephanie!
(((Hugs)))

20 Comments:

Blogger teabird said...

I second the blessings on Stephanie - and the admiration -
great pictures!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a wonderful experience! That is so cool that she knows you! :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm green!! I should have given you my copy of her book to get signed!!
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm glad you had fun. Stephanie is very funny and of course she knew you!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Denise Bein Kroll said...

Sounds like a great time! She's headed to my neck of the woods on the 25th and I'm planning on going! Okay I'm actually really excited about being able to go... thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Color me green! I've always wanted to go to one of her book signings. I doubt I'll ever get the chance as I don't see her ever coming to Hawaii. Thankfully I get to meet her vicariously through lovely people like you! I'm so glad you had such a great time!

CC looks darling. :-)

2:53 PM  
Blogger errs said...

The knitting world gets smaller all the time... I read a blog post earlier today with a very similar picture -- http://turtlegirl76.com/
The girl with the steeks...

And of course she knows you... your bags are devine. :D

3:27 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Glad you had such a wonderful time! Thanks for telling us all what it was like & all the photos.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

What fun! It sounds like a perfect day.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Glad you had such a good time, I just knew you would!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

Well of course she knows who you are!

Say, is that an Arwen that I see before me? Is it in the BigGirl book? I bought it online (the pattern, not the book). I am trying to decide whether to knit that or the Central Park Hoodie. I need some hooded thing for dog walking.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Looks like you had so much fun! That shawl is very pretty.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

how very wonderful!!!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Isn't that a total freak out when she does that?! :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

awesome Harlot story! she was hilarious in NYC as well. she speaks our language.
:-) great shot of you tow together!!!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

What a great post Sallee! You do get around, don't you. Huggs to you and headbonks to the kids. Tell them Mr. C and Ms. M have a post waiting for their perusal.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

You have just written about the best post of all the posts I have read from all three of Stephanie's tours... I am glad you are such a good ambassador for our people yourself! You do look lovely in your Highland Triangle and these are some flattering photos of you -probably because you are having so much fun.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

What a great day and I'm tickled for the four of you! It must've been beyond exciting - - I cannot begin to imagine. :)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Wow, I'm very envious of your wonderful trip. Seems you're becoming famous in the knitting world yourself!

7:01 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Sallee, what a wonderful trip! I was right there with you. Thanks for sharing so eloquently.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!