knitnana: My First Real Post on Ahimsa
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, January 23, 2012

My First Real Post on Ahimsa

It's taken a couple of weeks to get my head far enough above water (known in the vernacular as W-2 season) to begin to think in terms of just how I do violence to myself, how I jeopardize my sanity and sense of calm, and how I can move in the direction of Ahimsa in my own life.

This year will be about several behaviors I see as detrimental to my own health, well-being, and sanity:
1. My inability to say "no." I'm better at it than I used to be, but then I do silly things to complicate my life (usually when I'm facing some sort of stressor - which is totally crazy, because if I'm already stressing, why on earth would I say "oh, yes, please, let's add on some more!" WHY?)

2. My insistence oh competing with my (much younger) Self. I'm particularly good at this when it comes to yoga class and other types of exercise I set myself up to do. I was a dancer in my past life and from there moved on to being a better than average yoga student (I was really flexible, still am, and so being able to slip into some of the poses easily inspired the "show-off" in me!). So far, I'm keeping myself from joining up with the next level of yoga class (to the effect that right now I'm not going to yoga class! Silly me. But if I'd just do the gentle classes I'd be so much better off (as would my spine!). Now if I can just re-organize my schedule so that I start yoga class again.

3. My complete inability to part with stuff. I'm one of those "collectors" and to be fair, I was raised by one, my sister is one, too. I've passed it on to my DD (please forgive me, Sweetie, I wish I hadn't!). It's a family curse. But that's not a reason to continue the process. My goal this year is to slowly begin the unearthing process. There's another generation who could benefit from the inheritance of family items and now's the time to move those things along. But I've collected tons of things and it's really time to move the "non-inheritance" things OUT! Waiting for a yard sale isn't going to happen, so I hope to begin the process of selling things via Craigslist and ebay. If I can face it, you might even see a destash sale over on Ravelry. I have to keep reminding myself: I am NOT my stuff!

4. A few years ago, I finally got in the groove of working towards a retirement for me. Yes, I will retire, tho' at present it doesn't look as if it will be all that soon! (Blasted economy!) The plans are moving forward to increase what goes to the IRAs and conservative "investments." I use that term loosely, because it sounds ostentatious to me. I know I don't have anywhere near what I'll need, and there's a certain pride that I wear when I think of my high school friend's pronouncement a few years ago that I was the only person she knew who could probably live quite nicely on my Social Security alone (backhanded complement that it was)...Still, I'm figuring I won't be getting anything until I'm 70, and perhaps then it will be botched and whittled away by those in government who seem to think it's an entitlement program that's long overdue for its demise. (Guess how I'll be voting on that issue? Social Security is a liabilty the government owes us.) Still, I could do a lot more to pad the savings accounts, and learning to say "no" to myself on accumulation of "stuff" is part of my learning to be kind to me.

So those are the primary areas I'll be working on in the upcoming year. And in thinking of those, I happened upon a video today that showcases exactly the sort of life I'm aiming for. I talk about it a little bit over on my latest Nana Sadie's Place post. And the video is posted there, too.

Stop by my little "lifestyle" blog once in awhile (I don't post there nearly as often as I do here). Sometimes I have interesting spots I've come upon in my roaming around the blogisphere...stuff that I think really doesn't work over here on Knitnana.
(((hugs)))

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

I'm sending you lots of positive energy for bringing about the changes you'd like to make in your life.

One of my goals this year is to get back to doing at least some yoga every day. So far, so good! It's working becuase I haven't set myself up for failure. The goal is "some yoga, any amount." Some days that's a challenging class, other days a gentle class, and still other days it's just standing in Tadasana for a few breaths. Today my yoga practice was one Kripalu yoga break (find them on their website) at my desk in the afternoon, and 20 minutes at home in the evening. So I'll never be on the cover of Yoga Journal - who cares?

It all counts!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

These are really good focus areas, and you've articulated so clearly what you're aiming for in each one - good for you! Some of those really resonate for me, especially the "stuff" one; I keep having to remind myself that there is enough in the world for me, I don't need to hoard in order to ensure that I will have some. Ah, well.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

I've been battling the hoard instinct myself. Sounds like you have a good grip on your goals for this year, good for you!

I hope that sinus infection is all better.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Well thought out! Those are excellent goals, and I wish you the best in working on them.

Since Michael and I will need to move at some point this year, clearing out stuff we don't want or need is high on my list. I can't bear the thought of packing all of it and then having to unpack it somewhere else!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!