knitnana: My Office Photo Essay
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

My Office Photo Essay

Over the years of blogging and blog-reading, I've seen some interesting photo essays of people's workplaces. I've always thought I'd do one, but have continued to put it off because I have one wall in my office with a planned photo frame (a big one) and have just never gotten it put together and put up. With things speeding along as they are? I'm thinking it might not happen for a bit, so I'd better share now...

But first? Yesterday, I wore the Textured Shawl in to work, hoping I'd find someone to take a photo of me with it on. That didn't happen, so I draped it on the back of my chair. It works:

Yarn: Knitpicks City Tweed DK in Orca.
Needles: Addi Natura size 9 circular
Pattern: Textured Shawl Recipe (Ravelry link)
Time to Complete: Sept 28 to Oct 29, 2009
Notes: Next time I'll buy more yarn. It's a very small shawlette. It might end up being someone's gift, because it's really too small for me - the blocked size of 60x29 shrunk once it was unpinned, of course. I used most of 3 skeins so next time? I'll definitely use 5. And yes, there will be a next time. I LOVE this pattern.

Ok. Now I'll show you my office...as you walk in my door and look to the right you see:

And if you look left?

I have two narrow windows that lead to nowhere (they've built on to the back and side of the building and what I have was a corner office - but not anymore). So I have two dusky amethyst drapes hung (leftovers from an old apartment)...and yes, everything in my office tends towards purple, fushia and copper (which is a nice word for the burnt orange office carpeting and "oak" desktop) with black filing cabinets. People walk into my office and go "wow!" The pictures on the wall above are two pieces of original art - by two little boys near to my heart. They were my 50th birthday presents (and this was before the youngest DGS was born). The huge piece in the first photo is an art poster from the Los Angeles Celebration of Canadian Contemporary Native Art back in 1987 called "My Grandmother, Myself" by artist Maxine Noel. I've had it for years but only recently got it framed and up on the wall - it's one of my favorite pieces - I can only imagine how beautiful the original must be. I found it back in my "feminist/womanist" activism days at the Women's Center at Virginia Tech. It speaks to my steadfast insistence of the critical importance in women's lives of the concept of matriarchal lineage back to the dawn of time. I read somewhere that our cells remember, even if our minds can't recall, the stories of our foremothers and grandmothers. I believe that, with all my heart.

That was back when I first discovered Barbara G. Walker, too, but that period was long before I knew of her knitting tomes... *wink*

Oh. And this is what I'm reading these days...

Fascinating. I'll be sure and tell you how it ends, okay?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had seen the pictures of your office posted without identification, I would have known it was yours. It really looks great...all the parts play so well together.

I'll pass on the reading material. Enjoy !

8:03 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

No, don't spoil my pleasure in the book! Only nasty people do that.

(hee hee)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Please tell me how it ends! Does it end? Boy, the new 990's are murder.

I love your office! And your shawl.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Very very pretty shawl!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

The shawl is terrific! I may have to add that recipe to the queue.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I love seeing the space that people inhabit. You can imagine their stories so much better.

I once owned a copy of Accounting for Churches. Equally fascinating, I'm sure. It was scary but necessary for a non-trained volunteer bookkeeper, I'll tell ya!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I don't think I'll be staying awake waiting for the ending of *that* book! But I love the office tour, especially the art. Absolutely perfect :)

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!