knitnana: Ten On Tuesday
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ten On Tuesday

This week's Ten on Tuesday list is EASY!
Ten Favorite Movie Moments!
1. "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" - Dirty Dancing (truly my favorite movie of all time, but mostly because of Patrick Swayze.)
2. "I'm Singin' & Dancin' in the Rain" - Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly!
Okay - both of those two are because of the amazing dancing (I could probably also add An American in Paris on that score)

3. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a da**" - Gone With the Wind
I know, you thought I'd say that movie for some other reason? But frankly? Scarlett deserved what she got!

4. The very last scene in Flash Dance when she runs out of the building to find Michael Nouri and Grunt waiting for her with red roses to celebrate her having TRIED the thing she most feared to do! And the music plays "What a feeling!"
Oops - another one for the dancing! (and I should probably mention that the fact it was filmed in Pittsburgh - at a time when I spent a week there - just brings back a lot of memories?)

5. Pretty Woman - when Richard Gere comes riding down the street with the top down on the limo, roses in hand, and climbs up the fire escape to Julia Roberts.
(Pure romance, yes, I'm a sucker for it!)

6. Sally Field holding up the *UNION* sign in Norma Rae and the machines fall silent.
(Hooray for the underdogs!)

7. Steel Magnolias - Sally Field in the cemetery, "I'm supposed to go first."
(just one of the best movies about female friendship in the South that I know of)

8. Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson - Last Chance Harvey - when he finally shows up, late, after a health scare, and Emma realizes he's really, really interested. (how on earth she walks and walks all over London in those shoes is beyond me - she FINALLY takes them off in the end!)

9. Thelma and Louise as they clasp hands and gun the engine to drive over the cliff. Another story of female friendship, but also one about women standing up for themselves in bad situations...I think they were totally misguided, but I'm not sure, given the circumstances and the day, that there was another way out for them. Still I wished, with all my heart, that they hadn't felt they had to end it that way.

Okay, I realize that most of those are "chick flicks," and most of them are dated. Still, I'm not much into current movies...except:

10. The Red Violin. I'm not sure I can pick a favorite moment. This entire movie is so rich and complex, the music (by Josh Bell) is amazing, the filming stunning. I watch it repeatedly and can't find a favorite - the point at which you realize WHY the violin is red, perhaps? If you haven't seen it, rent it. And watch it at least twice. You might not catch everything the first time, but it will all come together - it's truly complex...much like Seven Pounds - where I was still making stunning realizations in the hallway outside the theatre on New Year's Eve, with my sis-in-law, and another pair of sisters who were doing exactly the same thing we were, so we compared notes.

Ok. I guess that counts as an extra one! *wink*

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, so many good movies! I've seen a lot of these, but not all of them. But yes, Thelma and Louise -- I still remember sitting in the theater and realizing what they were going to do and being so shocked I gasped. I guess I hoped there was going to be a way out. And I adore Steel Magnolias. Love love love it.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

You keep getting me all excited this week - first with promises of finished Violettes and then with a fabulous movie I haven't seen. Since I resonate with most of your other choices, I bet I'm going to love The Red Violin. It is going on the netflix list right now!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Carrie K said...

Steel Magnolias is the SADDEST movie EVER. Gah. My mom took me to it to "cheer me up" and me (and the rest of the audience sobbed through the whole thing.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!