knitnana: Happy 2009!!! Whew, We Made It!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy 2009!!! Whew, We Made It!

I almost feel as if I've climbed to the top of the mountain and can finally descend the other side! What was it that made 2008 such a nightmare? I think, besides the fact that I never, ever thought the election would END (that campaign was the longest in history), it was the nearly constant, day-in-and-out, depressing economic news. Fall is always a challenging time for me, with the light fading (I only have a touch of SAD, but it's enough to set me lower in my enthusiasm and energy levels...with all the rest of this stuff this past fall? It's been a real challenge to stay positive).

But you know what? I LOVE New Years. It's all about hope. It's all about new beginnings. And while I'm not a complete Pollyanna (I hear you in the back of the room, shhhhh...I'm not! *wink*) and I recognize that we've a long way to go to dig out of this mess, I have a lot of hope that things are going to start getting better - and smarter.

I heard someone this morning being interviewed on MSNBC - on the subject of just what the comedians were going to do with the lack of material now that the election is over (was it just me, or was it appallingly stupid stuff going on there?) - but the interviewee said, "I think it's going to be smarter, if only because we have a president-elect who can speak English."

Amen.

(Who knows? Intelligence may just come back into vogue?)

Ok...enough of the political stuff...

I have made some PLANS (remember, I do not do resolutions) for 2009. And as to the knitting ones, I'll detail them here. Over on Nana Sadie's Place, you'll be finding a new "A-long" - give me a few hours to get that post up, okay? - not related directly to knitting so it's not a KAL. It's a SAL. (haha) It's a Save-A-Long.

My knitting plans start with this really cool new concept from Ravelry's Stash Knit-Down group:
1. Participate in the Personal Sock Club 2009
2. Participate in the Personal Lace Club 2009
3. Complete Boing!, complete Diamond Fantasy Shawl (Ravelry link), and I promised my sis-in-law a Faroese shawl...in pink. I have the patterns to choose from, and the yarn, so that might be the extent of my lace this year, we'll have to see.
4. Do a bit more charity knitting. I didn't do a lot last year. I'm hoping to use the charity yarn we got at NoSo to make a Baby Surprise Jacket (my first), I want to finish the prayer shawl in Blue Ridge Homespun that I've been fighting with for 3 years, more chemo caps, and dishcloths.
5. Finish the Log Cabin blanket. I'm getting there. It doesn't have to be huge (and since I really don't want to buy a lot more of the black Mission Falls, that means it'll be finished soon).

Otherwise, the biggest and most important knitting goal/plan I have? To finally, once and for all, get the office/knitting room organized and set up for business. I won't show you photos, because it's such a disaster I don't want to even own up to it. I've got help coming (when I call, supposedly) in the form of my son-in-law, to swap out chairs (from the living room) and to help move bookshelves and storage around. I was hoping for this weekend...but

I had a little accident. And you know what? You gals were right...I'm sore today. So I'm taking it easy.

Today? I managed to complete these three Kerri bags:


So here's the start of the New Year's Plans - the Personal Sock Club, all wrapped up identically - 12 months of stash sock yarn, for me to pick on the first of the month and knit to my heart's content. Most folks are adding in sock patterns. I didn't. Partly because many of the yarns are self-striping and I'll just do stockinette (there's a sanity-inspiring factor there, too - I prefer a plain vanilla sock most of the time, and it's the one thing I can carry anywhere without worrying about keeping my place in the pattern!). But then, you can see that ticker up there, right? I'm reserving the right to knit ANYTHING I want from Wendy's new Toe-up sock book when it's published. So there's NO restrictions on my pattern choices:

I've already opened January 2009's edition of the club:
I have to admit, I kinda cheated on this one. The 12 purple lunch bags I bought at Micheals? The very first one had been faded by the sunlight streaming in the window and I didn't catch it when I bought them. I knew that if I left another skein of yarn in this, I'd know which one it was, and I'd be picking it (or not) all year, but there would be no surprise there. And I knew that I really really wanted to knit up this Berroco Sox yarn, as the two pair I've already knit in this yarn are very soft and warm. It's January. I need warm. I put the two together, photoed them in the first picture, then opened this one. It's going to be my plain vanilla pattern! Okay, I owned up to my "cheat" and I hope you can forgive me for it...?

Now. Because I'm a bit sore, and achy today, after I finished sewing the bags, and then wrapping up the bags (teehee!), I realized a certain Meezer was very very interested in spending some quality time with me....
yes, that's her tearstrip...
Oh! Goody, Mommie! We can Play!!!
...The Meezer.

7 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

I am SOOO with you on rejoicing at seeing the past year come to a close! I love the idea of the personal sock club, even though I am not much of a sock knitter and don't think I want twelve bags of sock yarn waiting around. I will have to work on my own plan for 2009.... fodder for the next post? Thanks!

Isn't it nice to always have a Meezer that loves you?!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy New Year! I like the idea of a personal sock and lace club. I tend to not knit what I've set for myself to knit though.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen indeed to having a president who speaks English. I'm not expecting miracles from Obama, but it's so refreshing to listen to him speak. He sounds intelligent and I don't cringe every 10 seconds.

I love the bags you're using for your personal sock club. That's a great way to make it even more fun!

As for 2008.....2007 was a much worse year for me. I remember on NYE 2007, I was literally in tears at midnight because I was so happy to see that year end. 2008 was a bit better for me and I'm hopefully that 2009 will be better yet!

I'm so glad you weren't injured in your accident. That post accident soreness can really hit you, though. Good for you for taking it easy.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Happy New Year, Sallee and Meezer!

My 2009 knitting goals are very similar to yours, and I hope to actually accomplish some of them this year - lol!

You take care of yourself and watch out for car bumps ;( Hugs, Cary

7:58 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

You have such a great year of knitting and socks and such planned! I just want to complete (one) pair of Cat Bordhi socks for me and I will be so happy.

Awwwh Meezer and her tearstrip always makes me smile. :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I can see why you wanted to knit that sock yarn first -- I don't blame you one bit for rigging things just a little ;) I'm sorry to hear that you're sore, but glad that you can take it easy today!!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Happy New Year! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident! (I'm desperately trying to catch up on blog reading.)

I love the Personal Sock Along idea! Too bad I don't knit fast enough to complete a sock a month anymore. I love your January sock yarn. Can't wait to see it knit up!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!