knitnana: The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men....
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men....

Or some such.

I have been putting together, in my mind, at least, some of the guidelines I'd like to live my life by for the next several months, into years, if they seem to hold true for me, but I'll need practice to be sure of that.

Well one of those guidelines was a bit put to the test this weekend, as Becky returned from China for her Christmas holidays and decided that she really did want to open Knitter's Knook for just a few last days before the end of the year to reduce as much as possible the remaining stash on her shelves. She (being an accountant, I realize her madness here) did not wish to have this in inventory if she didn't have to when she folds...

The announcement went out on Ravelry. I just happened to see it late last night. Forgot it as I looked at the clock this a.m. and convinced myself that another hour's sleep was what I truly needed...until at the end of that time, I came straight out of bed, and went "drat!"

I took time to shower. (Someone else mentioned she should have left that bit of personal hygiene out of the mix to get to the store in time. I got there at 10:20. There was barely much left. I did a bit of damage, in spite of a great deal having been swept into bags ahead of me.

Why would we do this? We'd seen the yarn a couple of months ago and not considered this something to wake early and trek 10 miles to her little shop and fight amongst ourselves for it...
Mountain Colors Mohair in Mystic Lake and Moondance, and Louet Gems sock yarn in pink, blue, and navy...
Trekking, Austerman Stepp, Fortissima sock yarns...
Three balls of Zephyr laceweight wool/silk - ivory, black, and baby blue; 3 skeins of Green Mountain Spinnery Mountaing Mohair in navy blue; a skein of Lamb's Pride in teal...

So why, especially when I was considering the "guideline" of knitting mostly from stash in 2009?

Because every ball was $1 - $5.

Nothing was over $5. The Mountain Colors was $3 a skein...Can I say, this was a bargain, and I don't easily walk away from bargains?

No plans for any of it. Just scrumptious yarns that needed a home and at that price?

It's the equivalent of a Geezer Meezer turning his or her cataract clouded blue eyes up to look at me, reaching out one paw to say, "Please take me to my new and final forever home? I'd like to go home with YOU!"

And so the yarn did...and at this point, I haven't succumbed to any meezers, but I know that won't take me long...(sigh) I have very little willpower around yarn and cats.

I did manage to finish the last Christmas gift tonight and it's blocking now.

And I'll be good...more or less, from now on.
Maybe at least until payday?
lolol

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could say that you got an early start on next year's Christmas gifts. Now, you just have to figure out what/for whom. VBG!

We figure that since we're at retirement age, we are raising our last generation of meezers that we got as kittens (the youngest are 5 years old now). The next generation will have to be geezer meezer adoptions. By then, we won't be able to promise new cats the 23+ years they live.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Pat K said...

It's a terrible thing when yarn doesn't have a home. You've done a good deed!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said this was a guideline for 2009. According to my calendar, it's still 2008! Enjoy!
Janet

12:11 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

that's an unbelievable bargain. i can't see anyone passing that up! don't beat yourself up too hard!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Janet: no guilt because it's still 2009!!

Seriously...that's amazing prices for the yarn you bought. Enjoy it and don't stress about it!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I'm happy that the awesome yarn got such a loving home..just consider it 'a good cause'..all are winners..just sorry I could not get over..but..it just did NOT work out..hugz

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Congrats on your amazing bargins! Now you have a stash for your yarn diet of '09 and you helped out someone who needed to reduce her stash...I say it is a win-win! :)

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!