knitnana: Holiday Hysteria?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holiday Hysteria?

Anyone else feeling the pressure? With the two weeks of holiday fast approaching, things go on high speed for a few days, as everyone who has tons of vacation they need to use up before year end, tries desperately to finish all their projects before they leave (that usually means this Friday). Those of us who have only a little bit of time left (or in some cases not enough seniority to be granted the precious holiday time off), usually feel the stress of too much to do in too little time (we of course, will get to take deep breaths on the days during the next two weeks that we work and they don't...things will slow down - I keep saying this as a mantra to remind myself that this too shall pass!). I've always worked at least some of the days of the last two weeks of the year. Many moons ago, I had a non-profit job that got many, many calendar year-end contributions (in the form of checks mailed in to the office). The president of that organization's board of directors firmly believed that someone had to physically be IN the office to pick up those checks, record them in the accounting records and take the deposit to the bank, at least several times before the LAST DAY OF THE YEAR or IRS would not consider the contribution as made in that calendar year.

I do not want to admit to you that my powers of persuasion were sadly lacking for a number of years - I could NOT convince the man that as long as the checks were DATED December 31, they were for that calendar year, regardless of when I took them to the bank - well, okay, had I waited to February? That probably would have raised an eyebrow, but the first week of January would have been fine. (After all, the IRS understands the machinations of the government machine that is the US Post Office - ok...POST MARK DATE at the very worst?). I finally had him semi-convinced, and then he left the board. The next president was a CPA. (Whew!)

But I digress.

My life is a little hectic right now. No. That's not it: Life is nuts! But only for a couple more days...there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'm pretty sure it's not an oncoming train.

I'm almost finished with Christmas orders (only local bags remaining to be completed - Whoohoo!). And I can't show what I've done, because they really could be seen by the recipient. Not a good idea - I'll show you photos AFTER the holidays, okay?

I'm knitting myself a pair of socks, because I needed something really simple to carry to work and I needed a chocolate brown pair of socks. I have one more Christmas gift to knit and that's complex enough that I want to wait till I'm off work to knit it (tho' it IS a quick knit) - and the recipient won't be here to open gifts till the New Year's weekend (oh, yes, the Knitnana family will have its normal multiple Christmases again this year!). So I have a little time. But they do read my blog so I can't tell you (or show you) what it is...

So. Hysteria and pressure-cooker environments tend to turn me to this:

Good, basic, garterstitch. Dishcloth cotton and Susan Bates pink aluminum needles. Do you remember that blog quiz that was around 3-4 years ago? What knitting needle are you?

I was pink aluminum. And it was true till Knitpicks came out with Harmonys! And Addi came out with their Lace needles...

I've decided that there have to be a number of things I can do with leftover dishcloth cotton to find interesting combinations to make dishcloths. There's a member of the Cloths for Crisis group that's in need. I have no stash (ack! and I'm a co-owner of the group - how bad is that?). So in between everything else, I pick up the dishcloth cotton and garter away.

Worried about the bailout of the banks and whether those bank CEOs will get their bonuses? Mad about those bonuses? Mad about government money enabling those banks to pay their shareholders dividends?

Pick up a dishcloth ... and garter away (and join us in C4C (link above) and we'll get those cloths where they can be of help!

It's something YOU (and I) CAN do, and right now doing something that makes a difference is what matters...and keeps us from losing it.

(because frankly folks? I'm not sure what we can do about the bailout mess and Paulson will be gone in about 34 days when perhaps we'll see some changes made at least to those little loopholes...)

Tell me, do you think The Meezer was trying to share her crunchies with the draftdodger cat?

She goes in there every night with a mouthful of crunchies, drops them on the rug and chows down in just that position with the cat draftdodger lying there...

Can you tell it's way too late for me to be up and talking to you? I'm calling it a night!
(((hugs)))

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I'll bet that between the nice rug underfoot and the draft dodger, the Meezer has found a warm spot to snack.
Her coloring is so beautiful in that position!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I completely understand and recognize the signs of holiday hysteria! I've given up on all remaining holiday knitting and am concentrating on stockinette sweater sleeves. Followed by a stockinette second sock. Simple, soothing, stockinette... :)

12:36 AM  
Blogger elaines630 said...

Ah, aren't Board of Directors great? Ugh, I can not stand any of mine, so I feel for ya! I too have given up the rest of my Christmas knitting and am going back to what is comforting for me - socks! Sitting back with a cup of coffee or tea and my knitting is the perfect stress reliever for me!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Tan said...

I don't care how bad the economy gets, I'm not knitting a dishcloth.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit I'm not much for knitting dishcloths either.

Sock, now... socks I can knit forever. And do.

The only Christmas object I have left to finish is a pair of mittens. I think I'll make it unless something really strange happens.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she's taunting him. Draftdodger cat? Perfect! lol.

I gave up on the holiday knitting. Again.

Dishcloths are a great quick knit.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!