knitnana: Did I Mention My "Inner Hippie?"
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Did I Mention My "Inner Hippie?"

I know I've been thinking about my inner hippie for the past few days...I guess ever since I saw the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and the float for the Broadway musical Hair!

You see, that musical came to my town when I was a sophmore in high school and I got to go see it! Now...in my family, had my dad had any idea that there was a nude scene in that show? Well. I'd not have gotten to go, I'm sure. As it was, he was pretty unpleasant about the guy who took me to the show. Kenny was well-mannered, came into the house to pick me up, and when my mom introduced him to my dad, Kenny held out his hand to shake "man to man," you know?

My dad was watching the news. He stood up, turned to face Kenny, with his hand held out...took ONE look at Kenny's shoulder-length hair, turned back around and sat down and never said a word.

(Can you guess how long it took us to get out the front door? Yup. THAT fast.)

So seeing the actors on that float brought back a ton of memories...especially since I learned to knit about that time, and the knitted ponchos and crocheted mob-caps the gals were wearing, with the long, long hair?

Yes. Oh yes, did it take me back.

And so did this:
The Peace Flowers Sadie bag. I have been groovin' while I made this bag, I'm tellin' you...and the song Aquarius running thru my head..."When the moon is in the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars...then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars...."
*wink*
Sorry for the earworm...But isn't this bag cool?

I managed to make another Sadie and a Glady today...so at 7, I realized I'd sewn myself out. It was time to switch to Christmas movies and knitting.

I finished these:
my Big Sis's Berroco Sox - just like mine, except hers started with a teal stripe, and mine started with a burgundy one. And I did a stretchy ribbing on the tops of hers to make it easier on her ankles that don't like anything tight. Mine have the picot edging.

I even worked a bit on the Log Cabin Blanket! Yes, it's cold enough...it's going down in 20s tonight and the teens Sunday night! Brrr....good weather for Mission Falls 1824 Wool, if you ask me...

The Meezer oversaw the sewing today...
Well, Mommie, that's why my title is Sewing Assistant.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pam! said...

I LoVE Hair ... I've never seen the broadway version but have a totally worn out copy of the movie that came out in '79. Maybe I'll catch the Broadway revival in 2009.
As far as the ear worm, I can think of several other songs from Hair that would be worse to have running through my head. Not from a musical standpoint but from a lyrical standpoint. muhahahahahaa

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories!

Great socks - she should be very pleased.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

LOVE the bag. My girls have seen some pictures of their daddy with HIS long hair and were pretty astounded ....

8:22 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

LOVE the bag. My girls have seen some pictures of their daddy from those days with his long hair .... they were pretty astonished, as his inner hippie is now well-hidden.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Barbara Marr said...

Aquarius is a favorite of mine, too. Partly because it is also my sign. As another said, thanks for the memories.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

A great story, and a great bag!! I have some similar stories from my youth, though I think my parents were most upset by the long-haired boyfriend I lived with for three years than my 'just' dating a few. Poor parents... they had just come through the bland and reassuring 1950s after all.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to have some inner hippie - and that bag is just wonderful.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Peace Flowers bag is really cute!! Hmmmm.

LOL over your date to Hair! My Dad, working in Homicide at the time, was usually pretty nice until The Dinner, when he'd start describing murder scenes. WE could eat through anything. Any guy that couldn't? Oh lordy.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!