knitnana: A Christmas List...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, December 08, 2008

A Christmas List...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags – All the way!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial – with my allergies, real can’t make it in the door…
3. When do you put up the tree? Used to be Thanksgiving weekend, but now it’s closer to Christmas...at this point it might be the Saturday before – I’ve got so much else to do in between...
4. When do you take the tree down? New Year’s Day.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, but NOT spiked!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? It would have to be my RED two wheeler with training wheels...
7. Hardest person to buy for? All of the men in my life – Brother-in-law, nephew, niece’s husband, son-in-law...All I can ever come up with is a Barnes & Noble gift card. :(
8. Easiest person to buy for? My daughter, she needs a lot, and is a good giver of long lists of ideas...
9. Do you have a nativity scene? I have a nativity scene ornament for the tree, but not a full table-top display - and I have no real room for a table-top display!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I send only a very few cards to close family and a few friends...when I get around to them!
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? The bag of dirty pantyhose my sister and sis-in-law (his first wife, not this one) gave me...what I didn’t know at the time was the there was another box that held the felt-craft doxie dog for me to sew together and appliqué flowers on his back, and then of course, stuff him with - torn, clean pantyhose! But they thought it was great fun to put the cart before the horse...I had a very difficult time holding back hurt tears – I’ve never "gotten" practical jokes.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? White Christmas – and there are one or two on Lifetime that are newer that I love to watch, too...
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I shop a bit as I hear things people like, and stash things away. Then I’m usually at the last minute thinking I had all this stuff, and it’s not quite what I thought so I’m out in the crowds kicking myself all over again. I do not like last minute shopping and I HATE crowds...
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I have – not just wine, either. If it’s new and I have no use for it, haven’t used it, it’s still in the box? Of course...pass it to someone who WILL use it for heavens sake…(tho’ I’m careful not to give to the person who gave it to me, or one they know...)
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Nut loaf – an old family recipe for the vegetarians in my mother’s family. I’ll have to see if I can find the recipe and share it...
16. Lights on the tree? Yes, CLEAR – and in the windows - CLEAR
17. Favorite Christmas song? White Christmas See number 12 above...and Merry Christmas Darling by Karen Carpenter (but it always makes me cry - her voice was so beautiful and to have lost her so young is a travesty)
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Sure, but I'd have to sing to do it.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning
21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The lack of Christmas spirit while out and about – shopping for people you love and grumbling, pushing, shoving...
22. Favorite ornament theme or color? My tree is gold, silver, white, and crystal, with birds – mostly cardinals – all over it
23. What do you want for Christmas this year? I’ve done a list down there below…mostly books on knitting and sewing.
24. Angel on the tree top or a star? Old World Santa
25. Favorite Christmas dinner? A good beef or pork roast with veggies and some good bread - and an apple pie and a chocolate silk pie.

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

This is a good meme. I may have to steal it today!

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may have to steal this one, too! :-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger kwhitney34 said...

1.wrapping paper shows you put more work into it especially if you didn't spend that much time on the gift
2.Real tree you need the smell and feel of a real one it brings more christmas spirit
3.a week after to make sure the tree is still living by xmas
4.new year's day i agree
5.it is definitely a prefernce taste
6.dolls
7.brother's/ boyfriends
8. agreed
9. nope i don't think the yard scences are so cute either a cross would symbolize what you believe
10.Definitely mail is a traditional thing that everyone should do and plus mothers always like mailing a recieving them
11.I can't think of a bad gift but i can remember that grandma's gifts were always a little odd
12. i can't remember the name but the one with chevy chase its such a good oldie classic! it is real funny too. a newer one would be elf you have to love will farrell in it i guess he would be the new chevy chase of christmas cheer
13. you can start anytime of the year only if it is something that is limited but most gifts the day after thanksgiving, but merchants want you to start once they put of the christmas decorations
14. i personally have never recycled a christmas present but things that i have bought for myself i have rapped up and given to people i forced to give a gift to when i drew their name out of the bag
15. my mothers flank steak and heavenly potatoes those are always sooo good!
16.definitely lights on the tree why wouldn't you i dont think i have ever seen one with out it and with ordamnets on it
17. Santa baby is probably my favorite its a little risky and still full of christmas spirit or i like moriah carey's all i want for christmas is you! it is so exciting and so up beat brings my spirits up!
18.stay home because that is where my family is otherwise if they were some where else that is where i would go
19.dido
20. if we opened presents christmas eve then why would we have christmas
21. how many people are out everywhere you go
22.green is the best color
23.a new bag and boots!
24.either or i kind of like the star
25.when everyone is in high spirits and hopeful for the year ahead and i am not bored out of mind by the adults talking

5:33 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I would love to see that nut loaf recipe!

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She gave you used unwashed pantyhose? Even as a gag gift and practical joke, that's awful. OTOH, I generally hate practical jokes.

Yes, the nutloaf recipe please! It sounds delicious.

I love A White Christmas too!It's not Christmas until I've seen that movie with my Mom.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, reused if possible. You may or may not recall that your aunt G.F.L. had two huge boxes of such stored in her basement. Although your uncle put most of them in the dump when he sold the house (and rightfully so, as there were many more valuable items we could not take), some pieces were used to pack breakables.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real. What other kind is there? Admittedly, my mother-in-law just bought a six-foot artificial tree, which is the envy of C.G.S., who always had artificial trees growing up in Tasmania. But I can assure you that he isn't going to go to Tasmania just to have an artificial tree (or at least I think he isn't).
3. When do you put up the tree? I plan to cut the tree at a tree farm early this week, as I usually get it around the fifteenth. However, I'm facing numerous logjams, not the least of which is having my snow tires installed.
4. When do you take the tree down? Twelfth Night, unless municipal pick-up requirements mandate otherwise. This year it may be January 5. The alternative is to take it to the dump myself.
5. Do you like eggnog? S.R.E. wrote: "Yes, but NOT spiked!" For once, we agree.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Although I didn't generally like dolls, I loved the one I called Sarah, a gift from I.F.A. and R.P.A. J.A.A. and M.P.A. trashed some of my dolls when they were about eleven and twelve, respectively, but they left Sarah alone. I may still have that doll.
7. Hardest person to buy for? C.G.S., my father, my mother-in-law, R.M.A.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My daughter (same answer as you, but for very different reasons).
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, a small one-piece set, sustainably grown and carved in Bethlehem.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I'll probably do those when I retire.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Hard to say. Maybe too much candy.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I infrequently watch movies at Christmas. It is the busiest time of year at work, and I am taking a break right now only for you.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I shop a bit all year round. I try to have the bulk of my shopping done before Thanksgiving, when presents have to be sent to the in-laws.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I do so very rarely if at all.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? You wrote: "Nut loaf – an old family recipe for the vegetarians in my mother’s family. I’ll have to see if I can find the recipe and share it..." Your mother contributed a version to the church cookbook in Roanoke 25 or so years ago. Does that help?
16. Lights on the tree? You wrote: "Yes, CLEAR." What else is there? We also use electric candles on the tree. Nothing in the windows. The cats would knock them off.
17. Favorite Christmas song? The Holly and the Ivy or Cantique de Noël. Garrison Keillor's Christmas album is also lots of fun, and of course I listen to the Messiah and the Christmas Oratorio while driving to Vermont or while dealing with work.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel. All the time.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Not sure.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? It depends. If we are away on Christmas day, we open some of them before we leave and the rest on Christmas morning. Otherwise, we open them on Christmas morning.
21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The fact that people make too much of a fuss over it, to the detriment of those whose lives are not happy or who do not celebrate Christmas.
22. Favorite ornament theme or color? Danish-style ornaments from the one Christmas season we did not spend in Vermont. I made some Danish flags about fifteen years ago and put them on a swag over the entrance to the dining room. I haven't yet put them up this year, which says something about the state of chaos (hopefully, controlled chaos) in our place.
23. What do you want for Christmas this year? World peace and a healthy economy. Otherwise, it's a state secret.
24. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel. One of the first items I retrieved from the house was my parents' angel. You may remember it.
25. Favorite Christmas dinner? My husband and daughter sometimes request spanakopita and chocolate cake. My mother chose spanakopita in her later years, once she finally had to allow me into the kitchen. I don't know what I will do this year. My deadlines at work are different this year, which means that I won't get to the supermarket until the 22nd at least. We leave on the 26th and will see my father and at least some of the surviving Flower clan. I may suggest slumming it in the interim. Two of C.G.S.'s grad students came over last year for Christmas dinner, but I haven't suggested it this time, as they and we may have different schedules.
Lots of love to all of you, your wayward cousin

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!