knitnana: Amazing Story...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Amazing Story...

Today, during the first day of the cat show, an odd, unusual, and, I think, amazing story unfolded:

Almost 12 years ago, my mom died and we put her house on the market. This was the house I'd been born in, had lived in all my life except for the short period I was married. My daughter was raised there. I was torn to pieces when the family had to sell...but...

A lovely couple bought the house and moved in. It was their first house, he was blind and they were delighted that it was on the bus route so he could easily get to work each day. She loved cats and hoped that she could finally have one there in that house. She invited me to come back and visit, and it has just not been something I could handle. The years have slipped by.

Today, a woman came into the booth and my sister-in-law was helping her, but finally brought her over to me. She told me who she was - that she had bought my mother's house. And she ordered a bag from me (yes, it was odd writing down that well known address on the sales slip!).

That might not all seem so odd, until you hear a few more of the details.

She knew me on sight. She's a knitter who loves to knit socks. She loves cats. Her mother has the same physical illness my mother had (and that's an unusual thing, being an autoimmune disease that isn't all that common). Her husband has died, but she still lives in the house and loves it.

She's begun taking piano lessons. My mother was a piano teacher.

Ok. Maybe I'm making connections here that I shouldn't, maybe I'm too tired to see that all these things don't make a hill of beans. Maybe it's just a small town, after all...

Or. Maybe. Not?

13 Comments:

Blogger Turtle said...

some interesting connections. Maybe your mom is saying hi to you in this way, letting you know she is always around. Smile, maybe she and the lady in the home have made friends! (if you believe in that, which i do) Good luck with the rest of the show.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

There are no coincidences. I think it's wonderful that you've reconnected with her.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Jillsknit said...

Home and connections are a very important thing. I bought my parents house last year and found out I'm the 3rd person my age to return to the neighborhood. It's spooky but great to see the old neighborhood again with the same people. We all love the connection.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

What a wonderful story! It's nice to be able to reconnect with your house and your history just a bit, no? :) I hope the rest of the show is going well!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

There's no such thing as coincidence? (Or something like that.) Hrm. Makes you wonder.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....that is some kind of wonderful story Sallee!!!!

I loved reading this. What a great day it must have been for you to meet this woman and to have such a nice visit with her. Thanks for sharing, this was truly special and I definitely think this happened for a reason,beyond just coincidence.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Very cool story. Be blessed by it. Maybe you two can spend some time together.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing happens for no reason. My money's on Mrs. E!

8:52 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow! That's simply amazing. Sounds as though you were meant to reconnect in this way.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great story! Whether it is a coincidence or not, it sounds like a good encounter.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Amazing story and I agree with Turtle's comment.

It sounds like it made your heart happy. :-)

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom,

Remember my first wedding...

Well, you said it best... "Nana's here..." always.

Cause this isn't that small of a town.

But I still don't like the fact that she tore out the old fireplace in the backyard and took out Nana's garden. ;p

Love you.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

What a cool story. I think your Mom knew you needed a hug from her so she found a way to give you one :)

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!