knitnana: The Colors of Grief
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Colors of Grief

In light of the shootings at Virginia Tech yesterday, I've been incredibly sad today after spending last night in a stunned, disbelieving state.

I earned my Master's degree there, and continued towards a doctorate, completing most of my courses and beginning work on my dissertation before family concerns forced me to abandon that path. Because I was an adult student and living off-campus, I never developed the "Hokie" mentality, especially, I thought, because I'm truly not a sports fan at all...

I also have always detested the Virginia Tech colors (sorry, Tech fans!) - burgundy and orange do not - I repeat - do NOT go together. They clash. Horribly. (This from someone who is well admired for her abilities with the color wheel.) I was aghast when I finally earned my "batwing" masters gown and the hood displayed those very colors along with the colors of my major - pale blue! Can you say...eeeyuuckkk!?!

Last night, I cast on the second sock in STR Red Rooster and began forming the toe. Both last night, and tonight, while listening to news reports and the sad stories we're finally hearing about the chilling experiences of the victims, I pulled fabrics to create bags in advance of the Southeastern Regional Persian Show I will be attending on Saturday in Richmond, VA. Fabrics and yarn...the stuff of my personal means to healing....

And suddenly I saw this:

Stop. Is that? Yes. Orange and maroon.

What colors did I pick last night and today in my fabrics? Maroon. And a rust that is close to orange.

I would not have told you that I would watch the convocation and remember the Hokie Cheer. It's been 11 years since I walked that campus. But in my living room, I was clapping along.

The colleague who convinced me to return to his "Hokie High" for a Master's degree in Vocational Education emailed me yesterday as this insanity was developing. His words instilled a sense of pride, "OUR school."

Indeed it is. OURS. But now the pain and the grief are not our's alone, it is the world's. To quote a cartoon I saw briefly on tv tonight...."we are all Hokies today."

Some of us always were. And some of us just didn't know it, till this horror occurred. Maroon and orange...fabric and yarn.

When the realization hit, the tears finally fell...for the lost souls. Dear Heaven, please take care of our lost Hokie souls.
((((hugs))))

13 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

It is so difficult to comprehend such atrocities in this world and to have words to express our sadness and outrage at such meaningless killing.

I am continuing to pray for everyone impacted by this tragedy. I also pray for those that would even remotely consider such an act to instead, choose life.

((((Hugs Sallee))))

10:33 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

its hard to believe a person will come to that and be able to cause so much grief.
((Hugs))

1:06 AM  
Blogger margene said...

It is such a horror to think this could happen anywhere. But when it happens in a place you know and love it is a larger horror. Hugs to you, dear one.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Pam! said...

A wonderful post! Such tragedy and horror at a place I know so well.
My thought & prayers are with you, our fellow Hokies, and our extended Hokie family across the world. "We are all Hokies today."

8:29 AM  
Blogger RoxanneZYG said...

Hi Sallee...I'm so sorry for this tragedy. My heart goes out to you and to all who are affected by it. Take care and loving thoughts your way.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Such a moving read...

I wore maroon and orange today for all the Hokies everywhere. Sending you a big hug...

9:27 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

As I was leaving the gym this morning I passed a mother with her two small children. All were decked out in Hokie t-shirts. Brings tears to this Va born and bred girl that something so horrendous had to happen within the borders of my home. Yes, we are all Hokies today.

10:15 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm sorry, Sallee - hugs to you and everyone who was touched personally by this horror.
A friend of mine works in a college library in Georgia. The son of their writer-in-residence was one of the dead. When something like this happens, it touches us all.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

*hug*

12:29 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

The world is, in fact, a small place and we are all affected by the actions of others. Benjamin Franklin had the right idea when he would ask himself each morning, "What good can I do today?" and each night, "What good have I done today?". I hope that the prayers and good works will help to make this sorry, sick world turn around before it's too late for more people! I'm sorry for your pain! Sending virtual (((hugs))) and prayers of peace your way!
Lana

3:53 PM  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Such a sad and poignant post encapsulating the horror of what happened. What a tragedy and meaningless loss of life! (((Hugs)))

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are will everyone - what a tragic, heartbreaking loss.

6:47 AM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Hello Darlin!
First things are first, I do hope you send over your snail addy, cause I'm popping that skein of Trekking to ya.

And second: Tonight before bed, I was curious to see if anyone has created any yarns for Hokie Hope day. I G**gled the words "Hokie Hope yarn" and viola... This post appeared in the top 10. This week has been horrible for our VA Tech family and those affected.
Bunny hugs,
=:8

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!