knitnana: Warm Hats Not Hot Heads...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Warm Hats Not Hot Heads...

Catchy title, eh? I can't take credit for it...

Actually, Ellen and her friend Alison have come up with a response to the whole craziness-in-Tucson-stuff that speaks to something I wished for a few years ago...and that I happen to think is an excellent idea!

Warm Hats Not Hot Heads is a knitters' movement for political civility. It follows along the lines of the wish I had that we could teach all these politicians and heads of state to knit, and ask them to knit for those less fortunate, and that in doing so, they might have a moment to think, to cogitate, to consider that the things they are doing now tend to make things worse, not better, tend to make us less likely to care about one another and more likely for some folks to do something appalling.

So, of course, when Jocelyn pointed me to the new endeavor, and I read what both Ellen and Alison had written (and what Joce wrote so eloquently) and I was reminded (by myself) that I'd once had similar thoughts...

Well, what could I do, but sign on?

Representative Goodlatte? Prepare yourself to be met at a (not-too-distant) future event with the product of this knitter's needles.

And prepare yourself for the note I will enclose...I hope you will wear the hat. I don't particularly see your political side of things, but I will knit this hat out of love for this country and remembrance of the shattered lives of those injured and killed in Tucson.

And Rep. Goodlatte? I hope it really does keep your head warm.

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Hooray! One more on the list. Thanks so much, and thanks for pointing other people to this great project :)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

I have an overpowering urge to marry or adopt him. What a FABULOUS name.

It sounds like a worthy cause but there's no way I'm squandering my precious knitting time. I wonder if we can ah, cap the whole Senate/House/Assemly though? That would be pretty cool.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Thank you, S, for posting so eloquently on this. And for knitting.

Carrie, I sure understand the tight budget of knitting time, so I'll ask you to help by telling other knitters about it, OK? THANKS!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

If only I knew how to knit hats! Sounds like a very worthy cause....Gonna have to have the ladies at my local yarn store steer me in the direction of knitting hats!

http://sheeplessinthecity.blogspot.com

4:08 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a great idea! :)

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!