knitnana: Another One Bites the Dust!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust!

Sunday, that is...

Yesterday was just a play day for the most part, because I've been working most of the month and I deserved it.
;)
Sis-in-law and I met up and got scoops of the best darn dark chocolate ice cream ever, then wandered around a couple of "antique" malls - I put quotes around that word, because, like my mother before me, I'm having a rough time seeing the things I got married with turning up as "collectibles!"

When I got home, I did cut some fabrics for bags, and then spent my evening alternately working on my Buttermilk Sky (just realized I don't have a photo of that on my project page! ACK!), and also on the Marsan Watchcap I'm making for Warm Hats for Hot Heads:

I made a Mavis bag for an order today (and will get a photo later of it with the two needle cases they ordered to go with) and then started on this:

I love the way this turned out! The fabrics I used for the pockets are lovely and were what I started with...all in my stash. I found the Asian green leafy fabric under a pile of other green fabrics on my stash shelves and was pretty psyched that everything went together so well...added the baglet when I realized I had a little of it left!

You can see the insides there along with the insides of a Sock Monkey Oressa behind it (those are #8 and #9 of the 111 in 2011 I'm doing).

In addition to all that, I did many loads of laundry and fabric today, and finally got around to finding the matelasse comforter cover that I have been saying I was going to stuff my Mom's antique satin down comforter into. Once I found it and stuffed it in, I then took some white yarn and tied it in several places. The last time I tried to use that cover the comforter ended up sliding to the bottom of the bag. Being satin and all, 'tis the nature of the beast, I suppose. I decided some time later that the solution was to tie it the way you'd tie a quilt...and the hope is that this will keep the satin fabric from shredding and giving up the majority of it's down feathers.

Mind you, Mom's been gone for 15 years next month. I've used that comforter every year since, and the satin has had tears in it long before it became mine. I've agonized over it all this time, but there's just nothing to be done about the age of the fabric. The embroidery on it is stunning, but I never got to enjoy it, because I kept that side turned to the bed to try to protect it. With the arrival of The Tonk, the stuffing's been flying everywhere (and I'm relatively sure is much inside the little guy as well) and the tears have been expanding. It was long overdue to try to find a way to contain it.

(I have no idea if this will work, mind you...)

But the furkids liked the results just fine, so my fingers are crossed!

And then tonight? Not quite finished with my crazy day: I made "Mom's Goulash" for the Clean Out the Cupboards Challenge I'm participating in over on Nana Sadie's Place.

Whew. I'm not done, either...it's time for breakfast making for the week (slow-cooking oatmeal) and lunch packing (leftovers!), as well as taking the last load of fabric out of the dryer.

Oh. Hmm...Maybe a bit of knitting before all is said and done. I must get to my mittens!

Have a great week!
(((hugs)))

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture - such a look of indulgence of a fur mommy and her "picture machine"! That's a happy pair of cats!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Lester's Mama said...

I made a Marsan watchcap. It turned out to be the right size for a 5 year old.

Is it turning out for you, size wise?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

Yay for having it in your stash! It does go together really nicely.

That looks like a nice save for your Mom's coverlet. I can see why you wouldn't want to but at least you still have it this way!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow! That's a busy couple of days! I'm glad you took some time to smell the roses (in the form of dark chocolate ice cream ;) ). The bags all look wonderful, and I love the picture of the cats. As for the "antique" thing - I'd always heard that it takes 100 years to be an antique, otherwise it's "vintage" (not sure if that makes it better...) :)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely needle cases...
I'd need one case per size the way my dpn stash seems to have exploded.
I use a binder with zippered pockets.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Can you patch some of the really worn spots with bridal netting? I know this is used to preserve antique quilts sometimes.

Just an idea...

6:15 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What beautiful Asian fabric! I think you did the right thing combining antique with antique, and hopefully the down will stay in and stay in place. At least you got the Meezer Seal of Approval!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous MrsGreek said...

oh wow! was it hard to make those needle holders? im debating whether to sew some or crochet some.... FABULOUS as usual though!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I'm glad you found a way to save the coverlet. The kitties look really sweet hanging out on it. :)

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!