knitnana: Lace!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lace!

Saturday was a fun day, as sis-in-law and I trekked to the town of Bedford about 35 minutes from here to spend the afternoon antiquing. We did stop at Yarn Theory which is a delightful shop, and one I'll return to soon (I ordered yarn, yes, but that's not the only reason I'll return!). What a visual feast the shop is, with so many samples of lace and felted bags, yarn galore (of course, that goes without saying) and lovely places to sit and knit and chat. Just fabulous!

But from there, we shopped at several of the antique shops in town. I was on a mission (successful, too) for a certain kind of container that I'll share later in July, if my plans pan out as I hope, but mostly it was to enjoy a day with almost no responsibilities except to have fun! We did that, too! We ended up having dinner at The Olde Liberty Station, and I totally splurged and had a burger and fries and probably the best coleslaw I've ever had! We were too full for dessert, but I hear they have yummy cheesecake.

Before we headed out on our day, I spent the morning in the floor blocking Ishbel:

The Tonk was extremely interested in the process and began his tutelage in blocking assistantship. That's such an involved process, and I have to remind myself that the little guy does have brain damage and retention isn't his strong suit. The Meezer was in the wings, but in this early stage, she added nothing to the instruction, probably laughing under her breath at his clumsiness and the fact that I was correcting him often...

Still we managed to get everything pinned out nicely (see that lace detail shot? Wow! I LOVE Ishbel!)

I discovered in the pinning process that the little guy, who cares absolutely nothing for catnip, becomes weak in the knees for wet wool! Who knew?

When I arrived home, I unpinned the shawl and draped her for the "money shot" - The Tonk was immediately on the scene, arranging himself artistically on top of the lace.

And one second after the shutter clicked? The lace was in his teeth! He BIT ISHBEL!
(and was soundly chastised and unceremoniously lifted up and dropped about 1 foot onto the floor with a loud "NO BITE!" (our code for keeping teeth inside the mouth!)

Ishbel is now neatly folded and stored in a drawer with my other shawls...Every speck of yarn in this house is corralled either in bins or plastic zip bags, to keep the wool from a certain kitty's inquisitive nose and destructive teeth.
(sigh)
As long as it takes the little guy to learn? I may be old and gray and still saying "NO BITE!"
(with a corresponding thump on his nose)

The details on Ishbel:
Pattern: Ishbel (Ravelry Link)
Needles: Size 6 Plymouth Bamboo circulars
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersocke in Augbergine (bought at Sock Summit 09, the first two skeins of the colorway!)
Time to Knit: Feb 1, 2010 to June 19, 2010 (and it could have been much sooner, but unfortunately, I don't stick with one project!)
Finished size: 68" wide by 35" deep - a perfect size for me.

Pattern notes: I LOVE this pattern. LOVE.IT. And working from the chart made my life so much happier. I started it with the written instructions and got so blasted messed up in my head. But either side of the chart is the mirror of the other, and if you can do that conversion in your head, it will go much faster. It took me about 3 minutes after I switched to the charts to figure that out. After that? Clear sailing! Whoohoo. The yarn is scrumptious (as The Tonk can attest) and I adore my Plymouth bamboos when I'm using dark yarns.

Because I didn't want The Tonk to feel too chastised and unappreciated, I pulled out the fake leopard throw I've been using at yoga practice during Savasana (Corpse Pose) and spread it out on the bedspread...
Ohh...a new blankie
I loves it, Mommie
(and not a spec of wool in the thing! HA!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

Wow, I just love your shawl and you certainly did an awesome job on blocking it despite the dubious assistance! That color is so luscious, and I am sure will look great on you. The last photos had me falling for your Tonk; good thing he found such a loving home.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous tami said...

I KNOW what you mean about cats and wet wool, I have a couple of those criminals myself.

Your ishbel is beautiful. I've been wanting to do one of those too.

The kitty isn't too bad looking either. I can hardly wait until I get my new baby.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

No Bite! was a rule for our children, too. ;-)

Ishbel is just lovely - very nicely done!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Congrats on a lovely Ishbel! What shawl is ever really finished without some feline "help?"

6:40 PM  
Blogger Monique said...

Very pretty. Love the blocking photos!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Lynette said...

You know, if that boy ever grows up, he's going to make quite a Tom Cat. Now, if we can just talk to him about growing up part...He helped me fix your computer, too. He was a bit puzzled over why I was there and Mommie wasn't, but I had a lap and that was all that mattered...

2:39 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, Ishbel is gorgeous!!! I bet you'll be wearing that beauty a LOT -- the colors are so very you :) I'm glad the Tonk has found something other than wet wool to make him happy -- Gwilim feels the same way about wool, it's his very favorite!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Beautiful shawl & handsome Tonk - a heavenly combination despite the need for "No bite!!".. {{{HUGS}}

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Oliver said...

I can't believe you made the shawl...stunning!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Your Ishbel is so lovely! I'm sorry Tonk took a bite out of it. He is just adorable in those last photos. I'm so happy you found each other. *hugs* :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Ishbel is BEAUTIFUL; truly amazing! Your stomach must've slammed the floor when you saw it in Tonk's teeth. lol (I can laugh because I didn't knit it). ;)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Your Shawl is stunning!!!

Seeing Tonk on it makes me nervous!!! LOL All that beautiful work.....

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading back...Dez Crawford tells me wet wool smells like mama cat to kitties. No wonder they go bonkers!

Rinsed out cat litter pails make great yarn safes. You can stack them, and it's easy to put a label on the "bump" by the handle.

Hey, I've even been known to shove knitting into the kitchen china cabinet when the phone rings. :-)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!