knitnana: WWKIP! The Crooked Stitch
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

WWKIP! The Crooked Stitch

Lynette and I took a roadtrip today, which makes me very happy. We used to take road trips a lot till our respective health issues and businesses managed to get in the way (Lynette created Enchanted Forest Soaps, which is now owned by her DD and spent many years, as I have, working nights and weekends while doing a regular 8-5 job, too, creating her extra-special scents and churning out cakes of soap, my favorite of which is Lavender-Lemongrass, tho' she also has a coffee flavor I love). Lynette has retired (wish I could, sometimes!) and it allows her to be available on fairly short notice for these things.

However, this roadtrip we'd planned for. It was the first of two WWKIP (World Wide Knit in Public) events that mostly local yarn shops/groups have planned either for this weekend or next. I will be tied up with a family yardsale next weekend, so we wanted to make sure we participated today:

So we tripped on down 220 South to Rocky Mount, Virginia and The Crooked Stitch. There were quite a few of us on the lawn next to the shop not far from the Farmer's Market. I can't identify everyone, but that's Dani on the left in that shot up above...the photo I took of Whitney, owner of The Crooked Stitch, was nowhere to be found on my camera. What? Wonder what happened? I'm sorry Whitney...

Someone kindly took what I think is a really good photo of Lynette and me. These days, having good photos of fun times with old friends (and new ones, too) is more important than stash enhancement (I am stressing the "good" there - I take way too many photos that aren't good at all!).

But of course, there was a bit of stash enhancement, too:

That's Berroco Sox in Color 1432, fushia and deep purples, one that I don't have yet. Have I mentioned how much I love this sock yarn? It wears like iron - in fact, Dani and I had just this discussion after I purchased it and brought it outside! I've made several pairs of socks from this yarn. The colors are amazing, the striping makes me smile (come to think of it, it makes everyone smile and I love the comments I get when I wear these socks).

I also picked up lots of fat quarters of pretty fabrics for coordinating with bag fabrics - all in colors that I'm usually short of - yellow, orange and a touch of red. I also picked up two FQs just for me - in a vintage-y muted grape. I adore fabrics in this shade and don't find it often. And I just realized I didn't photo it.

I shopped the farmer's market (surprising both my boss and myself by running into her on her turf! She lives way out in the country and shops there often, while I'm more than 30 minutes away and don't go that way much). There were wonderful green beans, white potatoes and summer squash I chose for a special veggie dinner tonight.

We had to come back a little earlier than anyone else, because I had a 2 hour restorative yoga class this afternoon, but we stopped at Edible Vibe Cafe in Rocky Mount for lunch before we came back. This was lunch:

It's Eddy's Bruschetta. Now I pretty sure that Eddy is the chef. I can't check that out, because their website is under construction. But I can tell you this - it was totally divine. We'll go back. I'll have this again (because once I latch onto something this good? I don't let go).

A huge thunderstorm hit while we were eating, and we finally had to race and dodge the raindrops to get in the car to come home. Once here? I discovered that my whole area looked like it had been bombed with trees down all over - and no power. My plan for my veggie dinner from the Farmer's Market was dashed.

I took off for my yoga class and when I returned? Still no power. It's finally back on, tho' I had a cold dinner tonight (that's not so awful when it's summer, but boy was my mouth set and ready for that produce - oh well, tomorrow!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Thanks for the great pictures Sallee, it was great to have you there yesterday

And yes, Edible Vibe is AWESOME. I eat there much too often

3:59 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, that looks like a truly wonderful day (except for the no-power ending!!). Time with friends like that is truly the best sort of stash enhancement :)

11:10 PM  
Blogger sandra said...

Want a fun day for you and yum... that lunch looks divine!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a perfect day! Knitting, new yarn, good friends and a yummy healthy lunch! :)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Looks like you had a very enjoyable WWKIP Day! I haven't tried Berroco Sox yarn yet - thanks for the picture and info about it.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous PlainJane said...

Your farmer's market is way ahead of ours because of the differences in growing seasons. Last time at ours there were just plants on sale & no produce. Glad you stayed safe during the storms & that your power is back on. {{{HUGS}}}

11:57 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

It sounds like you had a GREAT WWKIP. You and Lynette look marvelous in your photo. The bruschetta...mmmmm.

By the way, thanks for the information on Berroco Sox. I bought four skeins this weekend on a lark and I'm very happy to read that it "wears like iron."

Have a good week!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!