knitnana: Knitnana's Knot Knitting...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Knitnana's Knot Knitting...

It's been a very busy weekend (do I ever start a weekend blog post with any other sentence?) - but this week, Nana Sadie Rose responsibilities took a back seat to a bit of spring cleaning and the monthly bookkeeping for my client!

I am knitting, but just on a couple of blanket squares a la Oliver's Blanket from our endeavors three years ago with Mason Dixon Knitting...a dear friend in one of my knitting groups passed away a couple of weeks ago. We were making her a blanket (we're making 8 inch squares rather than the 4" ones in the original blanket). Now the blanket will go to her daughter to comfort her in her loss.

But in every single thing I've tried to do this weekend, I've had a fervent, excited, inquisitive Little Helper:

Here he is, making very light work of dishwashing...

He thinks every piece of machinery in this house (including the open refrigerator!) is his private playground....the top rack? His jungle-gym...

Here he is waiting for me to add more dishes to the bottom rack (or, shhhh, do you think maybe he's a little tired?)

Yesterday was a bit terrifying for him, tho. I ran the vacuum cleaner in the downstairs. Until this point, I'd just done a quick pass in one or two rooms since he arrived, but yesterday, the entire living room was turned topsy-turvy, with curtains down and washed, ironed and rehung, vacuuming and dusting - you know the spring-cleaning drill (he LOVED climbing up in the windows and chasing the blinds' cords!!).

I started into the kitchen with the vacuum to get the cat fur off the two area rugs in there, and found him in a corner spinning like a top. He'd stop and drop. Then up and spin again, the head at full-tilt, then drop.

I turned off the machine, immediately. He looked at me in exhausted fright, completely disoriented.

I think the noise, coming through his damaged ears, was just too much for him, but he couldn't stop spinning (to make the noise stop?) to get himself away from it. I had a time picking him up (he was terrified), and I got him upstairs into a room far from the noise, shutting the door firmly behind me.

And when I went back after I was done, he was sitting calmly, curled up on the rug.

Whew. We've gone back to the original daily prednisone because backing it down to every other day was causing the symptoms to reoccur. I've got my fingers crossed that in a couple of weeks he'll be much, much better.

8 Comments:

Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I'm thinking you'd better make a habit of checking the inside of the machine before you start a load of dishes!

He is growing into such a handsome cat. I sure hope he outgrows the ear issues soon.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one, too! And I second Ellen's thought -- I have a terrified fear of shutting a cat in the washer or dryer!

I'm glad to hear that he's becoming such a happy, active kitten -- lucky boy to have found you :)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the problems you have been having with the Tonk. The younger of the cats we have now hid under the bed in either the spare room or the master bedroom for almost an entire month when we first got her. She was obviously traumatized by something that happened before we came along.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! He has some serious energy! I'm sorry about the vacuum trauma! Poor little guy. *kitty hugs* :)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Poor Tonk.. Sadie & Boomer hate the vacuum too, but Max pretty well ignores it until it gets too close. The other two disappear as soon as I pull it out of the closet.. I hope his ear problem straightens out, but cats do adapt. Patches spent 18 years with a balance problem but he just walked against the wall to get from point A to point B.. {{{HUGS}}}

4:57 PM  
Blogger sandra said...

Oh it is so fun to have a child in the house :-)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Tonk needs to play with my Libbie. She's still trying, after four long years, to engage our older cat in play. Sabrina still won't give her the time of day.

I hope his ear difficulties go away soon. Enjoy your wee one!

4:21 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Poor, scared bunny :(

Even during the best adjustment periods, there's always the possibility for a brief setback. I'm hopeful that you'll be able to ratchet down the prednisone again.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!