knitnana: Sedalia!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sedalia!

If you're still on dial-up, this is a photo-heavy post - go grab a cup of coffee, because Sedalia was just plain fun, and I hope you'll enjoy sharing it with me!!!

I'll start with the obligatory Nana Sadie Rose booth shot!

We had a lovely space this year and plan to keep it for future festivals (as long as they'll let us!!). The space was right across from the food booths and restrooms - convenience!! - and one of the first you came to as you entered the Pavilion.

We hadn't been set up and open long before I heard a voice behind me and turned to find:

JennyRae! We've "known" each other online since the early days of Yahoo Groups when we first forayed into blogging. Since we live in the same state (which is after all, a big one) you'd have thought by now we'd have met in the flesh! Nope. Yesterday was the very first time! I'd been excited for several days, since Jen had written to say that it looked as tho' they'd be able to make it to the event (something she'd tried unsuccessfully before). I can't tell you how exciting it is to finally meet up with someone you feel as if you just know... We caught up a little, and then she went off to enjoy the event...

It wasn't all that much longer into the day that someone walked into the booth (and again, she came up behind me!) and this time it was a reunion!

Kimberly and I first met at Stitchin' With The Dogs two years ago, with Kimberly driving an insane distance (from New England!) to meet up with the Virginia Knitters who spent a delightful day knitting, eating, drinking local wine, knitting, gabbing, wine tasting, knitting...making mistakes, tinking, frogging, ripping, driving to Roanoke, eating Indian food...laughing and knitting and talking, talking talking....well, you get the idea, right? Hmm...we must do that again, gals!

But I digress. Kimberly looks fantastic, has finally moved back to the "home" of her Hokie roots (why, um, yes, we're both VT alums), and has tried to hook up with me since she got back here. We're planning a night of Indian food again really soon!

Then there was the Ravelry Meetup:

(I had no idea how this photo would turn out - the sun was so bright, I just literally pointed the camera and hit the button, no ability to focus, because I just couldn't see the screen!) There were way more people there, but I snapped the shot and ran back to my booth, as it's hard to stay away for long...

I had to record the two gals who are good knitting buds here in Roanoke. In the middle is Babs, who graciously offered to help me run the booth this year. Babs has been a craft instructor, run her own crafts business, and is so much fun to be with, that she really made this event a joy for me. I can't thank her enough (tho' perhaps she thinks that the VT Dyes yarn was a downpayment?). And the other gal in that photo is my Sock Guru and Red Hat Ladies pal, Rae, the Thinking Knitter.

Speaking of hats...I was wearing a baseball cap - it was hot, humid, and my long hair just doesn't cut it under those conditions...here's a close-up, as I know those photos make it look a little odd:


Of course, this was a fiber festival, so I know you're wondering what stash enhancements I might have acquired while there? I'll admit that I can't seem to do anything without some sort of yarny "souvenir" and this time was no different, tho' I did try to behave a little:

But I'd been out on Ravelry on Friday night and visited Serendipitous Ewe's blog and discovered her new Iris colorway. Well. I had to have it - I know there's yellow in it and I know that's normally not a Knitnana color, but you see, purple and gold (in that same brilliant yellow tone) are my high school colors. And while I'm not normally one who wears them, I just know that another reunion is upcoming (not sure when, just that it will be...in a few years, um oh dear, 4, we'll have been out of high school a whopping 40 years - ACK!). Ok. I will make a pair of gorgeous stripey socks to sport at that event (they already know I'm a crazy sock knitting cat lady, this will just seal the deal).

The colors, by the way, are amazing, the yarn is wonderfully soft 100% merino, SE's Charmed Sock version...you must check out the other colorways - that Snapdragon, if she has any left is as brilliant and gorgeous as the photo on her blog conveys.

Everyone at last year's Sedalia raved about the Flock Bronsonas yarns, but I missed the chance to have some...

This year, I made it a point to visit the booth. (sigh)

Well, I'm converted. The Rowena colorway above called to me over and over again as the afternoon wore on. I couldn't decide (it IS laceweight, it IS cashmere/silk, it is just as silky, soft, and sensuous as that photo implies, more so, really) whether to get two skeins or only 1. I finally got a grip and decided that buying one would mean I could knit a wonderful lace scarf (pattern to be decided upon) and not spend nearly as long getting the finished project as laceweight shawls tend to take me to complete! And I might even feel a bit virtuous over the sinful purchase...

(such are the fibs I tell myself when it comes to spending a chunk of hard-earned Nana Sadie Rose income! lolol)

That's the extent of my yarn stash acquisition...but I also added something to the fabric stash!

We finally have a new fabric store nearby (tho' it's not like I can dash off very often, it's about 35-45 minutes away) - and they also carry yarn!

The Crooked Stitch had a lovely little booth out in the grassy field, just past the Ravelry booth. I was so surprised to see Fat Quarters (I really have had blinders on for the past several months, and when Dani spoke to me over the baskets of Fat Quarters, I had to do a double-take - didn't realize she was involved with the shop, but I'm so very, very glad it's there and loved seeing Dani again!). I had a tough time deciding on some of them, but I finally did. I just love the browns, greens and reds in these four prints, and there were more that coordinated. So don't be surprised, gals, if you see me again, soon!

After dinner at Panera Bread, and unloading the car, I can honestly say that everything got put away except the suitcase of fabric that's still packed up in the sewing studio right now. It will be unpacked later this week.

My thanks go out to those who helped me with the booth yesterday, those who stopped by to visit, the customers who returned again to buy my wares, and especially most especially, to the coordinators of the Sedalia Festival, Dana and Diane. You two do an unbelievble amount of work to produce a top-notch event. I hope you get a little rest, a little wine, and a lot of knitting to recover. You both deserve nothing less!!!

Hope we see everyone again next year!!!
;)

8 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, it looks like it turned out to be a wonderful day! I'm so glad. The booth looks fabulous, and you look gorgeous, and I love all of the new stash acquisitions. Mmm... :)

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that Iris yarn! So pretty!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh, I am so sad to have missed JennyRae! I hate that. Looks like you had a fabulous time. There's always next year and I'll put it on my calendar again!

2:12 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Look at the colorful fabrics! Sounds like someone had a really super day.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

WOW! That looked like an amazing event! Me thinks you had a good time by your pics! I love that little sock on your hat! *hugs* :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

I'd love to be able to visit your booth too. Joe and I plan to visit all of the states (we better get crackin') and when that happens, we will stop in. I'd love to meet you in person (hopefully the Meezer too).

11:49 AM  
Blogger VPI Dyes said...

Thanks for the linkypoo *winks* I'm sure Babs will enjoy that BFL :-)

1:11 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I'm finally catching up now. I'm so glad you enjoyed Sedalia and thank you for the kind words; they mean a lot to me!

Tonk is soooo cute! When may I come and play with him??? :)

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!