knitnana: Knitting? Yes...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Knitting? Yes...

This is a knitting blog, I know...

And these arrived yesterday. I'd had Anna Zilboorg's, Janet Szabo's, and the Stranded Knitting book in my cart forever, but the Knits Men Want only made it in when I read Kate's review. Now I'm sure there are a few of you surprised to see anything related to knitting for men on my bookshelf? Well...

I do have three grandsons. And while they are little guys yet, they will one day be grown ups. It's possible I'd want to knit a sweater or vest for one of them. And Kate's review was nothing short of convincing. I, too, like that there are multiple sizes offered. But mostly? I love the classic designs, and I'm totally bowled over by Jared Flood's photography (I'm just a "mush"-mallow for photos that show off scrumptious yarns!).

Oh...and I have to tell you that Anna's mittens and socks? Oh my. I'm not sure where to start, and I'm somewhat blown away that I want to do such extravagant multi-colorations...reading about putting the book together with her editor and photographer? Just a delight. Seeing Anna's photo again? Well, I was transported back to Sock Summit and meeting her for the first time.

And when I read this, on the last page?
Feet, that always bear such heavy burdens, deserve to be indulged, pampered, adorned.

Tears came to my eyes.

I was a ballet student for many years, wrapping my toes in cotton wool to buffer them against the abuse of hours mashed into toe shoes, soaking them in Epsom salts at the end of the day. I wish I'd been smarter as a young woman and left the 3+ inch heels out of the "business professional" wardrobe I used to wear. More recently, I endured two years working through plantar fasciitis pain and finally discovering shoes I can wear that are supportive.

Like most sock knitters, I'm constantly badgered about "you know you can buy socks at Walmart for $1" ("oh, well, no you can't get these socks at Walmart at any price, not the kind I make of 100% hand-dyed merino wool and knit with love. Besides, knitting wool socks is cheaper than therapy and wearing them keeps my feet warmer than any acrylic Walmart sells!") ... in other words, I try very hard to pamper my feet ...

Anna's statement is a validation. Another wise knitterly quote that I'll print out and put on my bulletin board at the office, to remind myself that it's okay that I'm a bit out of the ordinary, a little bit on the "odd" side...a Knitter, not a knitter...

Do you know what I mean?

And speaking of Sock Summit? Did you hear? July 28-31, 2011. Portland OR. I hear we're going to "take sock knitting almost too far" again!!! I've got my savings account in full-steam-ahead mode...And Nana Sadie Rose is seriously considering being there as a vendor!!
*wink*

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I really love that quote, too!! And that book looks absolutely amazing. I may need to treat myself to that -- I haven't gotten a knitting book in a while ;) You should definitely indulge those feet -- they've carried you through much!
((hugs))

7:46 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Sitting here reading this with my foot in an ice bath and with a half-knit sock at my side, you know I agree 110%.

Vendor at SS? I bet I know some folks who could help out...

12:24 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Thanks for letting me have the thrill of new knitting books vicariously, through your purchases. I know I have a big load of materials and ideas to work through before more purchasing is allowed. Glad to hear I have over a year to save up for Portland... I will be trying to improve the financial picture around here to the point of starting a savings acct., and will see how the economy improves.

2:45 PM  
Blogger squiggi said...

I love that colorwork book. I got to take a class from the author. She's a kick in the pants. She signed my book while I was there. I highly recommend her classes if you get the chance.

By the way, you've never said how you came by your new little guy.
A rescue?
He really is adorable!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

That colorwork book is fantastic...just the cover is awe-inspiring.

Feet do so much for us...I really think making them some nice warm, soft socks is not too much to ask. ;)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!