knitnana: Twenty Ten! What an Odd Sound That Has!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, January 01, 2010

Twenty Ten! What an Odd Sound That Has!

But I'm excited to see the new decade! Can't help but feel that things have been so yucky that we can only get better...

I promised an update on my fall: I'm okay, we think, tho' the doc and I decided not to do Xrays right now. I have full range of motion in the hip and lower back, and am walking, but, wow, am I sore and bruised. I feel very lucky that I didn't break that hip, as it was surely the first thought I had after I realized I'd hit ice - it happened so fast, I barely knew my feet were in the air before the hard landing on the ice. The weird thing? I was meeting someone, a good friend, who came along after I'd moved my car and gotten into the restaurant. I had already gotten the manager to look at the ice (he almost fell on it, too!) and then my friend phoned. She was in the parking lot and had fallen on the ice - yes, I'm not kidding, the VERY same spot!! We thought it totally bizarre. She said, "I wondered why you hadn't parked in that really good spot!" She's okay, too, thankfully. The restaurant corporate office has contacted us both, so I think everything is going to be fine...once we get over the soreness. And if need be, I'll get Xrays, but we just decided to hold off on the radiation for now...the doc's idea, not mine. But then, when I thought about it, I concurred - I've had a bunch of that stuff lately, you know?
(sigh)

Okay, with all that said, I have a few plans I promised to divulge here:

I think it's probably pretty obvious that my mindset of "use it up" will carry into this decade, and in more ways than just knitting. But I had so much fun knitting from stash for the Personal Sock Club last year, I decided to do it again.

Everything's set - but this year I'm only planning on 6 pairs of socks, instead of the 12 from last year. That should free up a little time for the other plans I have...

I signed up for the Personal Blanket Club, too, you see. My plan is to finish the Log Cabin Blanket that's been languishing forever, and to begin a leftover sock yarn blanket. I haven't decided on a pattern for that one yet, but I will.

In my desire to follow that "make-do" philosophy of mine, I also planned to make the Fiesta Shawl that Birdsong made this year. Unlike Birdsong, I'm not going to ask anyone to send me scraps of their sock yarn, because, frankly? I'm pretty sure I have plenty! *wink*

The sock yarn blanket will be made from my wool blend sock yarns. The Fiesta Shawl? For that special pattern, I'm going to use just my leftover handdyed wools.

Ok. There's more, can you believe it?

Last year, I participated in the Basket of Shame brainstorm that Rainy came up with. It got a little overwhelming for her, but it was such a success for those of us who participated (and there's a Ravelry group, too) that we all decided to continue it because it was great motivation! So I've listed 4 things to pull off the UGH! or hibernation lists to try to finish up (in one way or another) this year:
1. The Log Cabin Quilt (I love it when I can satisfy two goals with one project!)
2. Helsinki (I'm almost at the half-way point, and I want to wear this!)
3. Diamond Fantasy Shawl (I know, I know, I just can't seem to get it out of the Basket of Shame, it was there in 2009!)
4. Beach Glass Shawl - I think, but am not sure, that I messed this up. Which means it's going to take time to look at it and decide if I can fix it. All fails? I'll frog it...(boy that will be an easy solution to getting an item out of the BOS, eh?)

I'm also toying with using my leftover and accumulated single skeins of Peace Fleece to make a larger and multicolored Textured Shawl, but we'll see about that...

In general, the ideas are: Knit as much as possible from stash and keep my funds for critical *wishes* ...

Oh. You mean you'd like to know what my wishes might be? Well, I'm going to start saving up for a Nook as I'm delighted with it's ability to change font size right there on that one screen!

Then, I'll definitely be buying Wendy's Toe Up Socks For Everybody when it comes out in the spring. And, of course, once Signature has size 1.5 16-inch circulars available, there'll be two of those winging their way to me. Otherwise, just on general principle, I'm hoping to create a stash of cash to purchase those special knitting related somethings as soon as they show up - you know, the things we don't know about yet? Because it's important to me to control the use of those credit cards, now that they're mostly dug out from Sock Summit!
;)

And then I'm also planning on that first sweater - you know Cheryl Oberle's Three Sisters? In the wonderful Knitpicks City Tweed I was swatching not so long ago...

Oh, yeah. And one more thing?
I know you noticed that book that came in the mail this week (in an earlier photo?) Well...I'm going to try that spinning thing again. We'll see, no promises.

There are some plans over on Nana Sadie's Place that aren't knitting related, too. Whew. I'm going to be busy.

But not too busy for one final, very important plan:

To spend some quality time with this little gal every day.

Happy 2010! We made it, and I can just feel it - it's going to be great!
((((Hugs))))

8 Comments:

Blogger squiggi said...

Oh NO!
I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Grownups just don't bounce like we used to. Glad to hear all is pretty much well, though.

We must have some kind of psychic thing going. I've started knitting up my leftover sock yarn too! Mine are tesselating fish. I like it because I can just knit a fish or two. It's probably going to take me 10 years to get a blanket, but, oh well.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also begun a Nook savings! I'm excited about nook because: 1) it's battery can be changed without sending it back to the company; 2) it can access free books from the library; and 3) you can load PDF's on it without sending them off. Kindle makes you do that.

There's a Ravelry group - Ebook Readers.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Happy 2010 to you, Sallee!

And my gracious, I haven't kept up (houseful of guests from the 23rd and one left even now, if you count daughter as guest) - I am so sorry to hear you had a fall. I'm glad that it seems to not mean broken bones, and I hope those bruises heal fast.

I admire your knitting resolutions. I will be rooting you on (and maybe even be a bit inspired to pull something out of hibernation, too).

12:10 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

i'm so glad nothing too serious occurred from your fall. how scary!

you got so much accomplished in 2009, you should be proud! i can't wait to see what you get done in 2010!

*hugs*

11:31 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Quite an ambitious and auspicious (and unintentionally alliterative) start to the new year!

Yeah, I'm with you: twenty-ten sounds weird.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Woo hoo -- spinning!!! :-)

Great goals, and Happy New Year!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, those are wonderful plans for the year! I'm very excited to hear how the top-whorl spinning goes, and whether it ends up being any more fun than the bottom-whorl. I also love your leftover yarn ideas; I've had my eye on a mitered blanket made of leftover sock yarn squares for a while and just haven't committed yet (although my reorganization of the stash the other day and subsequent realization of how much sock yarn I have might push me over the edge). And, of course, I just decided that a Nook might be a right idea -- you are clearly a wise woman!

(BTW, just discovered that bloglines is updating blogs VERY belatedly; sorry I'm behind the times here!)

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Carrie K said...

I still have to master spinning.....but it's definitely going to be year of the destash! 'cause there's no cash for stash enhancement. Which is probably a very good thing. ;)

How're you now after that fall? Bruised and sore????! Not acceptable.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!