knitnana: Third Time's The Charm?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, January 08, 2010

Third Time's The Charm?

Like much of the country, we're experiencing incredibly cold temperatures, in fact I heard on the news tonight that this is the fourth coldest January since Roanoke started keeping records. It's positively frigid. You already know that I'm battling the electric company - the bill for last month arrived today and it's three times what I'm used to. While I realize that the usage has been the highest it's been since I moved here (in spite of changing to all compact fluorescents and keeping the temperature down and lights and such turned off!), two rate increases in a matter of 4 months is a bit hard to swallow. The second rate increase may get handed back to us eventually, but it's not a welcome sight right now, I can tell you. I do hope to be able to seal up a couple more windows (on the windward side) like I did the one behind my computer, but I don't have tons of time to spare this weekend, what with the cat show just two weeks away.

Ok. Moving right along. In knitting news, I have finally hit upon a pattern that is working with the Buffalo Gold Bailout yarn I got at Sock Summit in August...it's been a challenge, and this is the THIRD pattern I've tried:

Susie's Reading Mitts. I found it via Carole's and started them last night. And had to rip them out almost immediately because somehow I managed to miss about 6 rows of pattern...I guess I was tired. I think it's working well now, and I like how it's turning out.

Dear Daughter is having kind of a rough time right now, and I'm thinking these might be a nice little something for her. (Ok, a big something when you consider the price of this yarn, even with the "Bailout" program, so she'd better take good care of them!)

She and I and the boys all had dinner at the pizza restaurant tonight, and I could hardly stand that she had nothing on her hands...(and the boys' mittens? you ask...well, of course, being little boys, do you think they had them? Nope. What's a Nana to do?)

But right now? I'm wearing so many layers it's hard to walk!!! Oh...well it's now 18 degrees and the windchill is 8. It's supposed to drop ridiculously tonight and not get out of the low twenties tomorrow - this is not normal at all.

I suspect The Meezer will be under the covers with me again tonight. And I'm not complaining either.

You all try to stay warm, okay?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rough weather all around. We just left Minky in the oxygen cage at her vet's. God Bless Dr. Jason, who was willing to come out at 8:30 at night to give her medicines and oxygen. I'm so grateful that he a) listens to my assessments, and b) trusts me with giving an emergency injection at home.

10:02 PM  
Blogger sandra said...

I love fingerless gloves - I must add this pattern to my queue! Stay warm...

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

I found this pattern while surfing one day and found some of the angora she used for them in my stash! Will be doing them soon but first tonight some test knitting and class preparation knitting. I wore my Snow Cowl this morning and it was great to have on a frigid day! Stay warm, Sallee and have a good weekend.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

The mitts look lovely and will be like you are holding your daughter's hand to give her support through her rough times.

And yes, cats can make great bedfellows these days!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You stay warm too! Gosh the weather sounds horrible! I hope all the folks who haven't got blankets and warm kitties to snug in with are able to find somewhere to be warm, are they opening up shelters where you live?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I keep hearing about the cold all over the nation! We aren't getting it, and while I realize that this sounds silly sitting where you are, I really wish we'd get at least some; we could use it (and we'll pay this summer when there's no snowpack to melt!). But as for you, stay warm, stay inside, and keep the Meezer on your lap :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I loved those mitts when Carole showed them off... not that I need more mitt projects:) So good of you to be supportive and think of something special as well. As for the electric, my power company must be really hurting with the recession here in CA as they are offering lots of creative bill-paying arrangements... call and tell them you will pay what you can!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!