knitnana: FO!! And It's a Bloggable One!! Wow!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, December 07, 2009

FO!! And It's a Bloggable One!! Wow!

And this close to Christmas, what do you know?

I finished the Recycled Sari Silk Yoga cushion last night...and took both pieces downstairs, hoping that the lightbulb would go off before I finished sewing in the zipper and I'd think of something to use as cushioning inside the pillowcase. I had no proper pillow forms that would meet the size requirement, and I had thought of cannablizing a ready-made one, but realized that it the one I had was really too square and I'd have to remake the form! Not quite what I had in mind...and as I was looking at it, I thought, "well that's too poofy, anyway, I want a cushion not a pillow!

I took my time sewing in the zipper I found - a brilliant orange thing from years ago when I scavanged the bins of this one sewing store during one of the multiple times it went out of business (over the years it had 3 or 4 names, but always reopened after failing and filing for bankruptcy. When the finally closed this last time, it was, indeed for good, I guess).

At first I thought, "An orange zipper?" and then tossed it down against the knitting panels:
You realize it's perfect, right? Lots of orange in there...
So I got busy and I proceeded to do a horrid job of sewing the zipper in, and then an equally bad job of sewing the three side seams together. When I was done, it was definitely time for the lightbulb to go on. I stood up and scanned the sewing room...what could I use to stuff this cushion?

Eureka!

On the top of one 6-foot shelf of fabrics there stands a 15 yard bolt of batting that I ordered from a new supplier 3 years ago. It arrived and I'm really surprised you couldn't hear my "arrrrrrghhhhh" of agonized distress all the way to where you are. The entire bolt was substandard, but this group is a "sales final" kinda spot. I was stuck.

Over the years, I've tried to work around it, figuring where it will work and where not. Mostly it's sat on top of the shelf unit.

Well. I pulled it down, and cut multiple layers of it, folded it inside the case and viola! a couple of inches deep, not a poofy, sinking kind of cushion, but one that's soft and mostly flat. Perfect.

So...The moral of this story? Don't automatically assume you have to rush out and buy the materials for a new project...some of that stuff in your stash can marinate for years. And if, as my mom taught me, you are loathe to "weed out your stuff" your reward for clutter just might come as mine did. A nice yoga cushion for no outlay of cash. (Ok...I did buy that batting at some point, but it was useless. Had I thrown it out? What good would that have done?)

Recycled Sari Silk Yoga Cushion:


That sari silk you see periodically in people's stashes that they don't know what to do with it? Well, I had 4 skeins that sat for years. One of them was very different from the other three...but of course, as fate would have it, I needed just about 2 inches of the fourth to complete the cushion. So I had to use it...you can probably tell which side it's on...I used sized 8 straight bamboos. And a leftover 12-inch zipper, with make-do innards. This is one of the neatest projects I've made. It just makes me happy...and totally fits in with the Bohemian slant my posts here have been taking lately - what with my mom's crocheted vest and now this? lolol

And I'd no sooner set the cushion down to photo, than The Meezer jumped into the shot. She has taken over the cushion now. But yoga is tonight. I wonder who'll win?
:)
(eta: DropStitch Knitter is having a contest, and you really should stop by!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It's gorgeous! I love the whole project -- the idea, the use of stash, the results. Perfect :)

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re-purposed stuffing and a Meezer seal of approval - wonderful!

Think of the two inches as a "color accent stripe". As my meezers say when they fall asleep and roll off the table, "I meant to do that!"

1:16 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

love! from beginning to end, love!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Very pretty! How great to use things well that at first seemed unusable. I hope the Meezer allows you to use it at yoga. Just leave the leopard throw at home for her.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I love the wholeness of this project. It all relates to itself so well, and to your ethic.

8:10 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

The texture and color can't be beat!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look of sari silk, hate to knit with it! :-) Love your mining of the stash to make the perfect yoga cushion! It feels good to use up what you've got on hand!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!