knitnana: Ten on Tuesday
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

This week's Ten on Tuesday question is "Ten Things You Wish You Knew How to Do"
(now usually, if I want to know, I learn it, but sometimes? It's just a matter of having the time, inclination, or money to learn, so here is my wish-list of sorts:)

1. Photography - good photography! (as you can see, I'm mediocre at best)
2. Spindling. I know. Taking a class at Sock Summit wasn't that helpful, and someday I'll take another and finally learn, perhaps from Toni at The Fold, because I liked her teaching style when she demo'd at SS09. But for now? It's a matter of time, mostly. And not really wanting to expend what I know will be outrageous sums of money once I finally learn and then have another fiber habit to support!
3. Weaving. A small loom would fit in my small space (not a floor loom -sigh- but a table loom would work) and I already have tons of fiber, I even think it might use up odds and ends, tho' I'm not sure of that...
4. Ballroom Dancing. (okay, here, it's not just money, or time. It's having a partner who's willing, and barring that? It's not gonna happen)
5. I've always wanted to learn to play the harpischord. Well, that's more money than time at this point. They're not cheap, and neither are lessons. Not to mention the space requirements of a harpsichord!
6. Quilting: like Jude. Someday, maybe I'll have the time, tho' perhaps not the money to build up the exquisite stash that she must have. I'm saving scraps and neat stuff now...One of my winter projects is to put them in some sort of order. (One can only hope I get a snow day or two to make a dent in it!)
7. Herbalism - as in growing them, harvesting them, putting them into tinctures and potions, and using them appropriately. Once upon a time, I wanted to attend Rosemary Gladstar's herbal school in Vermont. Or Susun Weed's (you don't have to run the add-on, there). But since I'm very grateful for the home I'm in, and I don't have garden space outside and not enough interior light to grow anything inside, that's probably a "not unless I move" wish.
8. Along with #7, I also have always wished I could raise sheep and have a farm (even just a few acres)...I enjoyed gardening when I lived at my mom's (my daughter jokingly refers to my tomato forest when the subject comes up) in the early 90's, but I think probably the time in my life for that experience is long gone. However, I still swoon over white and black woolies dotting green landscapes when I travel north to the Shenandoah Valley and see the sheep farms there.
9. Becoming a yoga teacher. I cycle through this wish every few years...It's doable, expensive, but doable. If I really, really want to. Classes work well for me, tho...
10. My all time wish I could learn to do? Or rather, just something I'd love to do, and I know there's a learning curve in everything, is opening my own shop - an environmentally sound junk shop. What do I mean by that? Reduce, reuse, recycle. Used books and music, vintage clothing (especially wools that can be repurposed), vintage/collectible "stuff" - you know, china and glass and all the dustcatchers anyone can imagine - a shop with overstuffed chairs, and tables, with coffee and tea constantly available, and little bits of enjoyables to taste, music in the background (all kinds, depending on the time of day and my state of mind, or what's come into the shop) windchimes that catch the breeze, and a place to knit, and read, and chat...on a neat little street (I think of Grandin Village, but there's already something similar there, so perhaps someplace else - even another town, tho' don't hold your breath...)

Oddly enough, there are variations of all those things that I could do, and probably will. I've got a lot of time and space to fill ahead of me (I hope!) and with a little luck, some budgeting, and willingness to try new things? Yup. Most of them will be tried (ok, maybe not the sheep farm).

On the subject of yoga?

I forgot to share this other new project with you on Sunday. It's recycled sari silk that was gifted to me a few years ago at one of our holiday parties with the Roanoke Valley Knitters & Spinners group. I've been wanting a smallish pillow to sit upon at yoga class (have been using a folded blanket which works, but...). I'm hoping the two skeins will be enough, but there is a third one if not. It will be a sort of crazy-quilt styled pillow cover, there's no doubt about that! And any scraps left over will be added to the crazy quilt stash - it's too pretty to toss out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summary: you appreciate the finer things of life. Your wide range of interests never fails to amaze me.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

What a great list and pretty close to my list (not listed) too although I'm trading your harpsichord for a harp. ☺

10:06 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It will be no surprise to you to know that we share some of the things on that list (although for me it's the bagpipes instead of the harpsichord!) :) Yes on quilting, weaving, and becoming a yoga teacher. Someday... :) And I absolutely LOVE your yoga pillow! What a fabulous way to use that yarn :)

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to you mentioning Jude before, I now have one of her pieces (heart face) and am thrilled with it...thank you for that!
Janet

6:54 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Ditto on the sheep. I know farming is really hard work, but I can't help but wish it. Maybe just one or two as "pets"?

And the yoga pillow is inspired. You will feel good just looking at it - I can imagine how that will enhance your whole experience!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!