knitnana: The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same!

Wow, today was pretty - sunny and breezy and in the mid-70s without humidity! This is the sort of weather I wish I could have all the time, because there's nothing to complain about - even the joints are happy.

But I do have some changes to report, in brief, at least for most of them. I'll start with the decision NOT to do the Atlanta International Cat Show in November. A hard one to make, let me tell you, but considering all involved, and especially with the news I got from the orthopedic doc last week, it just seems like the wisest one to make.

What did the orthopedic guy say, you ask? Well, I've finally gotten a diagosis on my back and it's not happy: severe degenerative disc disease. It's a witch to get old, is all I can say!

I start PT tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to it, hoping that it, combined with some dietary changes and new ways of working at the computer, the sewing machine and the cutting table will make such a vast difference that I won't have to consider surgery for some time (that's what he hopes, too, apparently). I liked this doctor, recommended by my boss, and he talks sense. (You know how some of them are so up in the clouds and short with you? He wasn't, and that, in my book is HUGE)

It took me a bit to find a physical therapist who could work with my schedule and was also covered by my insurance, but I did. And I'm considering joining Weight Watchers again (I did this years ago and was only moderately successful, but I didn't have the motivation I have now! heh heh).

The other changes are far more minor, I think. I'm hoping to spend some time making up the neat cat fabrics I've discovered in the past couple of weeks, as well as some others in stash, then do some sprucing up of my etsy shop, as well as the website - those are long overdue for some changes!

Then remember my commitment to do something each day towards organizing, cleaning, and decluttering my space? I gave myself permission not to do anything last night (tho' I did a little anyway - those putzy-ing little things that are hard to list, because once you do them you forget them? That's what I did! I forgot what they were!)

But today, after a wonderful brunch with Sis-in-law at IHOP (sort of a last swansong, you know?) and shopping for a few necessities for my closet project, I worked on the linen closets at the top of my staircase:
Here's the #1 closet - the one that truly stores everyday linen - in it's BEFORE status. When I moved out of the last apartment, I washed everything in the linen closet there and bagged it to protect it from the cigarette smoke emanating from the apartment below me...then stuffed those bags into this closet when I moved in here and did little else - a couple of bags had been opened and stuff "stuffed" on the shelves...but now?

Ta-Da! I even picked up a little bitty basket to toss my dried white roses into to scent the little space...I'm really pleased with how it turned out - and look! There's even room for a suitcase, do you recognize it? *wink* I may move the appliances out of there and put other suitcases in the bottom - keeping like together, you know? But for now, it will do...

Then this is linen closet #2 - it's at right angles to the other one, and houses the essential cat stuff (including an currently unused litter box) as well as the large economy-sizes of paper products...There's room for much, still, so I think those electronics and a few others that don't really have a home will fit here.

On the next to the top shelf you'll see a plastic bin: it holds vintage linens as does the box under it, which is archival and houses the antique linens - a finer point, but the antique ones have acid-free tissue separating them. I try hard to take them out and refold them every 6 months or so, washing them and ironing them every couple of years - or when I use them, which is really pretty rare these days, my lifestyle has changed dramatically since I started collecting.

But I wanted to share with you one of my prized possessions:

My grandmother, who taught me embroidery and fostered my life-long love of all forms of needlework, was a prizewinning needlewoman. This cutwork cloth was one of many she made and the ribbons went with each cloth to the daughter or granddaughter who was gifted with those cloths. This particular one won the Cornish, NH Grange Fair - First place in the Luncheon Tablecloth category in 1975.

I wouldn't have this cloth if it weren't for my brother's first wife. My grandmother died before she could make one for me, but my first sis-in-law, now departed, gifted it back to our family when she insisted I take it. "She was your grandmother, and this should remain in your family." It was a generous thing to do.

So. Working on the future, in a way, circles back to my past. I've done some weeding out of things in those closets, and also started working a bit on the boxes of junk that followed me here. I'm becoming merciless on the junk. It's gone. There'll eventually be a yardsale, but for now it's toss toss toss - as much as possible.

Now in the staying the same category? I've just joined in with Seasons of Lace and while I've not figured out what lace project to do first this season, I can promise you it will be a small one. I'm a bit late to the party, and will have to rearrange my sewing schedule to accomodate the PT, so if I'm going to get it done by December 21, I've got to make it manageable...I'm thinking perhaps something smaller by Anne or perhaps something of Miriam, hmmm....or perhaps even something from Evelyn Clark?

Well, have to see, but obviously, this is a new start all the way around!
(((hugs)))

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your game plan sounds wonderful. Glad you will be addressing work postures with your PT. (You know that stands for "physical terrorist", eh?)

Weight loss made a big difference with my lower back pain due to degenerative joint disease. Thanks for reminding me it is worth it to keep the weight off!

6:05 AM  
Blogger squiggi said...

Good luck with your PT. I hope it makes you feel better.
I know all about Weight Watchers. Did I tell you that I'm a leader for them??
If you have any questions, or just want to talk. PM me.
I think I'm inspired from your organizing, or maybe it's just the change in the weather.....
Tami

10:42 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Glad to hear you found some professionals who can help, and that you know the problem now. You have made a great start on organization, and are inspiring to me, though spinning and knitting and weaving all clamor right now, over cleaning and sorting, LOL.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Tan said...

That's wonderful that you have the heirloom tablecloth. My grandmother quilted ferociously all her life so that she would have a quilt for every grandchild when they got married. When she died, she left a stockpile of quilts, each carefully labelled for the correct grandchildren who had not gotten married yet.

11:26 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Be well, Sallee. Sounds as though you've taken the bull by the horns, which is always positive!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

Ah, I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but glad you have a positive plan to improve things. I will be rooting for you.

And congratulations on the linen closets. I find it so satisfying to get those in order - which I religiously do every decade or so!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!