knitnana: We Made it to Friday! And Autumn is Just Around the Corner!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, September 18, 2009

We Made it to Friday! And Autumn is Just Around the Corner!

Temps dropped a bit here this week, and rain moved in, do I have to tell you what happened to me between Wednesday night and thru this morning? Yup. My hip acted up again - I've been hobbling around and even had to take extra pain meds and add in the heated car seats. But then this afternoon it got sunny and warmed up a bit and so there was improvement as a result of all that.

Autumn's approaching (YAY!), and while my thoughts turn to knitting sweaters (will I finally try one?), watching a bit of football (have I really and truly picked up that interest? I guess so...go Steelers! go VT!), and whipping up soups to go with fresh-made bread (not mine, the local bakers, silly!), still the weather around here becomes erratic, and I pay the price of that with muscle and joint pain that makes this season less pleasant.

(sigh)
I realize I'm not alone, and I don't want to pretend it's otherwise! But I think I'm going to put in a special order for my "next time around!" I don't mind the getting older part, if the mechanics don't get rusty in the process (this goes along with my previous request to come back as the most pampered of pushycats! and yes, I meant that spelling).

Today, we had visitors from the Ukraine - learning about the establishment of Center's for Independent Living in this country and the history of our disability movement. For all that the topic was a good one, the one thing that caught my attention was totally off-topic: one of the young women's hairstyles.

I've loved having long hair, but it does cause problems and since I'm not much into "fixing" my hair with hot rollers, hairspray, and fussing, I am constantly on the lookout for something that's pretty and simple. Anyway, I asked my colleague if she could decipher the young woman's 'do as it was beginning to boggle my mind. Her answer surprised me, and for a bit, I wrestled with the idea, studying the young woman from the back, and finally began to see that my colleague was right, this really wasn't so difficult - perhaps I really could do this myself:

(please pardon the bathroom curtain in the photo, this was the best of the bunch)

I really like it! (now please don't disillusion me and tell me you've all known how to do this for years, okay? Let me stay in the dark, as I'd never have come up with the simplicity of this on my own.)
*wink*

When the day was finally over - once the visitors left it really did seem to drag on - I ran a couple of errands and finally stopped at Barnes & Noble for a treat.

Birdsong told me to pick up this issue of Spin Off, and she'll be telling you why in her next blog post, so I won't blow that for her, but it's certainly a first for me, buying a spinning magazine! The Vogue Knitting has an article by Jared so you know I had to have it, but there are also a couple of hats, a pair of mitts, and, um...yes, a sweater (!) I liked.

And in that photo above is my Corrugator Scarf for the Red Scarf Project (and the Ravelry and Yahoo groups Knit Red for Women's Heart Disease, too - I always get a two-fer when I do my Red Scarf contribution...)

Hmmm...looking up at the photos in this post, I seem to be in a "Rosey State of Mind" tonight, huh?

8 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I just bought that Vogue the other day myself! Great minds ;) And I subscribe to Spin Off -- it's a great magazine (I'm thinking I might spin and knit knit the hat for the next reader's challenge...). I love your hair like that! It's lovely, and very flattering :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Quilt Works said...

I love the hair style too! I believe they have a little gizmo that makes the hair behave with one twist. I think it is call tony braid?

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have enough hair (ever) to do that, but is that the style where you make a loose pony tail, then tuck it through itself to make the roll? Love the look!

Pictures, please?

11:14 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I love the hair, but I love the scarf perhaps a bit more. (I love the scarf a lot, the hair doesn't need to feel offended at all.)

I wholeheartedly endorse cheering for VT, but having grown up near Cleveland, the Steelers are sworn football enemies. I'll still coach you on that sweater though!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Your hair looks great like that. Hope the weather improves and you feel better.

1:21 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Could you share the secret of that wonderful hairstyle? My longlong hair needs a method of being pinned up besides taking a clip and biting it.

I'm about to finish my second Red Scarf - I just love that project.

And, I subscribed to Spin Off, not only because I've taken up spindling, but because it has such great articles and patterns.

FM as autumn approaches : oh yeah. Many of us are reading your post and saying oh yeah. (Sigh)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I like your hair like that. It's fun isn't it? I've growing mine again too. I'm missing it longer.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

I love the new "do" Sallee, stylish and classic. I don't know how to do this one either, does that make you feel better!!!! :<) What does the Meezer think?

Hugs, G

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!