knitnana: My Week In Short...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Week In Short...

It's Thursday. Whew. It's been a busy busy week! Work has been challenging (which beats having to prop up my eyelids with toothpicks, as I have done in my lifetime, so I'm NOT complaining...I remember one temp job lo' those many years ago...where I literally entered 3 3-line journal entries into the computer once a month - snore! Yes, that was all there was to that job...and people wonder why I went through a spell of migraines there? I am SO glad I do not have that job any more - didn't have it after 3 months, in fact because I was about to go stark raving mad!).

But I digress....

I made some pretty kitty Meras for the Craft Cat Show in Charlotte NC next month:
The one on the right you've seen before but the other two are brand new. Cute, huh?

During lunchtimes, I finally managed to get the sock heel turned and the gussets done. I can't decide if the cuff will be plain vanilla with picot edging or my mock cable rib. Maybe the rib. I'll decide tomorrow when I pick it up again. This colorway is going to go nicely with jeans, so I am excited to have them done...

And - Ta Da! - Valkyrie Seraphim came off the needles tonight! All ends are woven in. I won't block her before Saturday - I absolutely must soak her well, and rinse her in white vinegar water, as my hands turned black from the dye every night when I knit on her. But she is gorgeous. The pattern is delightful...I can't believe she's done! With a little luck there'll be a photo shoot over the weekend! Whoo hoo!!!

(and now, which shawl next?)

Tonight, on Jocelyn's recommendation I picked up Knitting The Threads of Time. I'm almost finished reading an excellent memoir by Alix Kates Shulman To Love What Is, the story of her husband's serious fall from their loft bedroom and the brain injury he (and she!) have recovered from. A difficult book, but an honest and amazing story of love between two people who'd loved each other as teens and came back to find each other again after separate lives and marriages. Sometimes the second times around are better, and sometimes life sets us reeling anyway, as if too much happiness isn't allowed. Well this book details the manner in which Shulman and her husband muddle through to come out the other side, damaged, changed, but still happy. A stunningly beautiful book, in my mind. If you know of someone with brain injury, this might be the book to help you understand a bit more. And it's certainly the book for the primary caregiver to read.

Still, I wanted very much to read my friend's recommended knitting book, and it wasn't available at the library here (or at B&N), so had to order it. At the same time, I'd heard, on our local Public Radio evening jazz show a bit of Andre Previn at the piano. It so reminded me of my brother's piano jazz...and this month is 6 years since his death.

I found the CD online and asked them to get that in for me, as well, and went to pick both up today. These will be my weekend pleasures!
Don't mind me, I'm just trying to kickstart the economy all on my own....So the weekend will be: Good music to listen to along with working on the vet's books again, and sewing a few more bags. And a good book to get me to the sleepy stage at night!

Then, too, this weekend will be for deciding on the next project. Will it be a shawl? Which one? Part of me is thinking the Sampler Shawl from Folk Shawls in the wonderfully soft undyed cotton from Green Mountain Spinnery...Wouldn't that make a nice summery wrap?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful weekend in the works! I can't wait to see the shawl after its blocked. :)

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOh, that middle, meezer bag is to die for! I guess the proper expression would be "Wow!" (since that is one word meezers say well).

9:50 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Well, in my opinion, any shawl from Folk Shawls is a good shawl, but that combination sounds particularly gorgeous! Your new cd sounds absolutely lovely; I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. And I love your description of the book you just read; it sounds like an amazing read. (Meanwhile, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't overrecommend the other book! :) ) Enjoy your weekend -- it sounds like you've got a good one planned!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would make a nice summery wrap. Can't wait to see Valkyrie Seraphim in all her blocked glory.

Knitting the Threads of time did sound good from Jocelyn's review. Let me know how you like it.

I am So. Tired. In fact, I think I'm calling it a an early day. Hate DST. But yes, better busy than sitting around doing nothing and attempting to look busy.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. Looking forward to seeing your new shawl!

I too hate it when there isn't enough to do at work. Time just drags then.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I know what you mean about that tough trade off between snore work and work that wrings you out -- oh do I know! And look at all the great energy going into your creative work. I love the bags & can't wait to see the shawl. I've been lusting after that colorway for a long time...

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!