knitnana: Cocky Doesn't Pay...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cocky Doesn't Pay...

You know how you think, after you've done something enough times, that you "KNOW" what you're doing, so you proceed merrily along, oblivious?

Well...
This is now the fourth (yes, FOURTH) attempt at knitting the heel of this sock from my Personal Sock Club, the March 09 edition.

Last week, during a training, I knit the heel bed and picked up the gussets. And realized too late that I'd managed to forget to turn the heel. Pull out the needles, and - RIP. Stick the needles back in and proceed to turn the heel.

These are the new Hiya Hiya stainless steel needles which don't come in my preferred size of 1.5. These are 1.25s. So I added two stitches per needle to make the sock fit my foot. Um. Have to account for that when you count off to turn the heel.

I didn't. I used my standard formula. The heel was cockeyed.

RIP.

Over the weekend, I knitted merrily away again, picking up the sides and beginning to knit the gussets, but you know I was also sewing, and also working on Valkyrie Seraphim. So I didn't get all that far.

Today, I picked back up on the gussets, knitting away, and suddenly thought - I haven't tried this sock on, I guess I should see how deeply I need to take in the gussets - and of course, you realize that on trying the sock on it was TOO SHORT for my foot!

Yes, I frogged again. And right after I started to knit the heel bed, about 10 rows in, something whispered in my ear..."try on the sock."

I hadn't knit the foot far enough down to my ankle. So once again I RIP, then I knit a few more rows on the foot, and tried it on again, and this time, I am in the right place and have started the heel bed again!

Hm. Thought I was good at knitting socks. Learned my lesson. Socks are whipping my "you know what" right now.

(Come to think on it? Today at work was a lot like the sock experience this time around - getting cocky and thinking you know what you're doing? It just plain doesn't pay. There's ALWAYS something that will throw a monkey wrench into your plans, whip your "you know what," and teach you some manners - don't get cocky!)

After I took the sock photo for this blog post I thought, hmm...haven't shown you all a pic of The Meezer lately, and looked around but couldn't see her anywhere. I actually said out loud, "Well, I guess I'll post without her, I wonder where she is?"

Pulled the card out of the camera to plug into the ScanDisk, and suddenly thought what's that warm on my behind? I'll give you three guesses who is sitting behind me in this office chair? First two don't count...
I'm right here, Mom

And I think I've lost my ever lovin' mind.

Wednesday has just got to be better!
*wink*

11 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It's gotta be! (If only because it's one day closer to the weekend.) I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person who forgets to turn her heels before picking up stitches for the gusset...

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Wildfoote sock yarn? If so, I have the same colorway!

I feel your pain on all the ripping. I started my current socks 3 (or was it 4?) times. It's so frustrating!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

awww! meezer is so sweet! scheyer has taken to sleeping on my computer chair, but he hates to share.

i hope your heel woes end for you soon!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Bummer about having to reknit the sock! Love that picture of the kitty, you know.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Yep, life be like that sometimes. Hope things get better for you and the sock. :)

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do have a way of showing up suddenly, eh? Minky is here on my lap at the computer now. It's her spot, and even though someone declawed her, she can and does defend her right to be here.

You got all the bad stuff for the week over with in one day. Now, smooth sailing ahead!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes. :-/ I did that with the second of my garter rib socks, plumb forgot to turn the heel.

Only, er, I didnt' rip it out. *LOL* I was too lazy!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Pat K said...

Sometimes you just can't win. But watch, these will probably end up being some of your favorite socks!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Bummer about the sock, but now you're on the right track. I forgot to turn the heel once on a top-down sock. It looked so weird it took me a few moments to figure out what I had done (or NOT done as the case was).

The Meezer just wants to keep you warm. What a nice kitty.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I do know exactly what you mean... hope the sock is now properly submissive! Some days are just like that. Sounds like the Meezer has taken to blogging almost as much as you have:)

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! It's DST fault, I'm sure.

So...5th time's a charm?

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!