knitnana: When I Got Nothing - I Find a Meme!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, October 10, 2008

When I Got Nothing - I Find a Meme!

Book Meme
A meme from Booking Through Thursday. (which I don't normally participate in, but hey, why not?)

What was the last book you bought?
Mason Dixon Knitting: Outside the Lines
Name a book you have read MORE than once
There have been several over the years, but I think the ones I’ve enjoyed most were women-focused books – mostly novels, tho’ not all:
Diary of a Divorced Mother, by Marilyn M Willison
The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
The Women’s Room, by Marilyn French
The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley (written about the other day)
Drinking the Rain, by Alix Kates Shulman

There was another one, Lifelines, that I can’t seem to remember the author of. I’ll try to find the book tonight at home and edit this…written by a woman in the 1980s and about living through the loss of her husband to cancer (eta: the author was Lynne Caine and the book is out of print).

I seem to want to read stories of women like me overcoming struggle in their everyday lives, if I’m reading non-fiction for inspiration…
Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
Oh my yes. The Women’s Room and The Handmaid’s Tale, specifically, and lately? A Time to Fight: Reclaiming a Fair & Just America , by Virginia Senator Jim Webb.
How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
I usually read by subject. So whatever my current fascination is – ie: knitting, voluntary simplicity, vegetarian cooking, the current political environment…if non-fiction; then, women’s fiction (even historical romance/bodice-rippers, not just present-day “true-life” non-fiction. I also particularly enjoy Susan Wittig Albert’s China Bayles mysteries with a herbal theme…Just call me eclectic!
Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
It’s about 50/50. Either/Or. Depending on my mood.
What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot? either works for me....but I love witty writing in my fiction. Emilie Richards is one who can put together an interesting story (plot), but without her turn of phrase, it would be just another romantic fluff novel…
Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
Viviane in Mists of Avalon.
Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
Mists of Avalon.
;)
What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
Animal Vegetable Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver – I didn’t completely finish it before having to return it to the library right after the cat show…and it was late. Frankly, tho’ it was interesting, and the setting is not too far from where I live, I just was having a rough time working through it while handling the mechanics of my sewing business.
The last one I completed was Sister’s Choice by Emilie Richards – a fun frolic! And I finished it before the National Capital Cat Show in September. So other than flipping through MDK Outside the Lines, I'm not reading anything really right now.
Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Often. Why waste my time slogging through something I can't stay interested in for whatever reason.

I love books. I collect books. I love to hold books while I read, but lately, it's been easier to listen to books. So I've spent some lovely evenings knitting and "reading." Or sewing and "reading." I would never have thought of audio books as a possibility for me, but they've been wonderful!

And in recent years, I've realized that my collecting of books had to stop (except knitting books, which I consider a reference library necessary to my creative hobby). I have too many, and not enough bookshelf room for them. I hate that they're stuck away in boxes...so I've been using the library to feed my reading addiction. (Saves money, too!)
*wink*

4 Comments:

Blogger teabird said...

There's no such thing as too many books! I have Mists of Avalon on my "read soon" list (I know how you love that book!) and Handmaid's Tale changed how I view women's issues and politics. I can never take women's freedoms for granted after reading that book.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love all the books on your lists! I've been thinking a lot lately about The Handmaid's Tale, too... I really enjoyed Animal Vegetable Miracle, although I couldn't help thinking that most of us don't have a farm in our back pockets and flexible jobs for when we want to make the dive into eating locally! ;)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I loved getting to know more about your reading tastes... sometimes memes aren't all bad:) Have a happy weekend.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

My favorite Atwood is non-fiction --Negotiating with the Dead -- and I never made it through Animal Vegetable Miracle either (I got hung up on the privilege of the author and that finished me on the book).

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!