knitnana: I'm Still Here, I Promise!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm Still Here, I Promise!

Even tho' this particular news junkie is swooning over the political and financial news that's non-stop, and completely over-the-top these days (and yes, even I am on overload), there are some normal things going on in Knitnana's life - and some that are not normal at all!

Take this for example?
It's the Scrap Challenge that I succumbed to back when I seemed to think that October might be a slow month for me in the sewing realm. (Whatever gave me that idea? End of the cat show, beginning to think about Christmas orders, three home shows in November? What was I thinking?)

J Casa has organized this and that photo above? It's the contents of the package I received from her today. So now, I have 1-2 weeks to come up with something creative using these scraps. I have absolutely NO IDEA what that might be...give me a bit, I'm sure something will come to mind, but today's been pretty intense, so the brain is fried...

OR...maybe that's when I really need to go play with those scraps and something may hit me smack in the middle of the forehead when I'm not expecting it? Hmmm...

Okay, I'll finish the blog post first. Also in the mail today was the new Knitpicks catalog...
Can you see it underneath all the sock knitting going on? I have to tell you that whoever Knitpicks has doing their photography on the cover and first pages is doing a really good job of making me think of Victoria Magazine...Very, very artsy.

I'm a color fanatic (even if golds, oranges, rusts, and greens are not my colors at all, this cover is luscious. Especially with the yarns in vases with the new Harmony straight needles...

I'm thinking of ordering that wonderful Andean Chullo Hat kit on page 20. It's so completely out of character for me, it's not funny. But it's also the challenge...

I'm seemingly into challenges these days: scrap challenges, knitting challenges.

Challenging the conventional wisdom about Plantar Fasciitis. Oh, that one slipped in there, huh? Well, it appears that the hard orthotics are causing me enormous pain (I knew I was in pain, but when it's the feet? Pretty hard to say - THIS spot...it ALL hurts!). The "off the shelf" orthotics have the arch support hitting me about 1 inch above the true arch of my foot. I had noticed the bruising, but didn't make the connection. I saw my rheumatologist for my routine checkup yesterday and heard, "If those rubber/plastic shoes are cushy, and your feet feel better, I'd say, go get yourself some thick foam inserts and see if that doesn't feel better...two steroid shots is all you can have awhile, now anyway" So I did. And put them inside my Birkenstocks. Um. Only one day later? I'm still sore, but I'm sooooooooo much better.

The last thing my rheumy said before I left? "Everyone's feet are different, and treatment of Plantar Fasciitis is pretty individualized."

I like that so much better than hearing "You can never wear any shoe but a jogging shoe with these hard orthotics for the rest of your life; you can never go barefoot again!"

I have another pair of Birks on the way, by the way...and my disposition is suddenly much sunnier! (In spite of the financial news of the day...)
(((Hugs)))

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DD's rheumy is her champ in life. He's fought all kinds of battles for her, and "broken" all sorts of "rules". Sounds like yours is, too.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat scraps. Can you make a pin cushion with a different scrap for each wedge? Sorry about your feet. I had some plantar fascitis (can't spell it!) issues and it's mostly fixed itself two years later. Good luck!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I sighed over the Chullo hat too - - it's so intricate and colorful. Yes, this latest KnitPicks catalog was beautifully done. Did you see the mini purses on the back cover? I could never use one in real life (too small), but the different color palettes were striking.

Your scraps sound interesting & it'll be neat to see what you come up with.

Good luck with your tootsies!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caved and ordered the Chullo hat. It was just so cool, and I'm feeling like I need a colorwork challenge. (Like I really need another project on my needles.)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

It's so important to find the right doctor! I'm so glad that you've got a good one!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, yay! That's great news about your feet (and what the rheum dr said is so true; I'm very leery of "one size fits all" medical pronouncements) :) I, too, fell in love with stuff in that catalogue, including those little purses, for which I have developed an unholy craving, even though they are so not me. Maybe for Christmas for the girls? Hmmm...

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to knit a Chullo hat for awhile, never mind that I will never need it here.

I'd play with the scraps and let the ideas percolate.

All illnessess tend to be indivuated, even if the medical community thinks one thing should work for all. I hope you find what works best for you soon.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!