knitnana: Mid-Week Shenanigans...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mid-Week Shenanigans...

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering how on earth it's already Wednesday (not complaining, as it means we're closer to the weekend, but still - things are going so blasted fast!).

So in addition to having fun today with Section 125 plan documentation, and preparing for annual independent audits, I have a couple of knitting things to show you...

Ok. These are Darning Eggs, two types:
They were my mom's and quite possibly her mom's (or an aunt's) before her, especially the egg-shaped one. They're quite worn, but then my mom was a teenager (the eldest of 8 children) during the Depression Era and a young wife in the WWII years, so these probably got a lot of use. Neither her family, nor my dad, had much money. Darning was something she knew how to do. I wish she'd passed that along to me, but I think I can learn, anyway.

And on the subject of darning, and in the interest of answering a couple of comments left for me today: I think the yarn colors are playing tricks on folks. My gauge is spot-on with both of those socks. But dark, dark colors tend to make things look smaller (which is why I wear a lot of black, navy, gray, and dark purple! teehee!) and lighter colors make them look larger. Both of the socks in the photo yesterday have a stitch count of 7.5 stitches to the inch on size 1.5 needles. I've compared both of the leftovers of these yarns and there's a definite difference in how they feel. How about the twist on them? The Claudia is not as tightly spun as the CTH. I just can't in good conscience toss these socks. For one thing, I LOVE the colors. And you know the Nana is all about the colors, right?

But it's more than that. It's that I was raised by that Depression Era teenager. When one spends what I do for sock yarn (which would have mortified my mom!) - I just can't toss the socks when a hole appears. They may just become "around the house" socks, but that'll be fine with me!
:)

I did start another pair of socks this week - have to have something totally mindless to knit at lunch and at traffic lights. Yes, I've started to do that again. Since I learned to read and knit, somehow it's easier to sit in the car and knit at the lights. I do not hold the needles in between lights either, so don't shoot me, okay?
*wink*
Trekking XXL in colorway 66 - shades of black and gray. I'm going to make very simple socks, but haven't decided if I'll make them the stockinette with picot edge or Wendy's Easy lace pattern that I've used before. I do so love my Trekking.

Finally, this is the other activity of my week: making items for the Alexandria Home Shows the first of next month...
Seven more Fiona cell phone cases are ready.

And boy am I ready for the weekend. It's been really chilly - the afternoons warm up, but the nights have been cold. I made a large tuna noodle casserole on Monday night and there's enough left for tomorrow night. I'm thinking of lentil soup and corn muffins this weekend...Tonight is to be our first hard freeze. And the weather this weekend looks to be chilly and damp and dreary - at least on Saturday. It's time to hunker down and enjoy this time of year, with soups and stews, good movies on the tv, classical opera on the stereo, knitting and sewing...

I am not really certain where summer went. I know it was here, because I remember closing the books every month.

I guess that's my answer. The summer, as always, went the way of work.

So now I'm heading to bed. And speaking of the bed, I ordered a flannel topsheet this week to combine with a plain one - a vintage flannel "blanket" from my mom's stash - to make a comforter cover. I inherited my great aunt's antique satin goosedown comforter (a twin size for my queen sized bed!). Over the years, the satin has developed minor tears...and the goose puff slips out and flies all over. I used to think I'd take the time to embroider the tears closed. That thought has finally been abandoned, as there just isn't enough time to do all I must. But I can't toss this and it's impossible to wash...Trying to salvage it, I decided to make a comforter cover in this:

Considering the red/burgundy curtains and green and roses rugs, I thought this would be a fun accent in the winter bedroom...(And I betcha that flannel won't slide off the bed the way the satin does!)

(It's on backorder...so the slippery sliding will continue into next month, unfortunately!)
lolol

7 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

I can give you instructions on mending socks... I used to make DH boot socks and had to mend them frequently. I will sit down this evening and write it up. You will be very happy with your flannel comforter cover, and yes, it will stay on the bed better - important as the temps drop steadily.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flannel comforter cover is going to be nice - you can't get rid of the old comforter! I've got my grandmother's feather pillows still.

Lentil soup and cornbread sounds lovely. Sadly, we're still having summer. Blech. 88 degrees. I'm ready for winter and winter knitting.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I just love the new sock and your new bedding! You've got great style, lady. :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I came earlier and left this great big whopping comment about all of the neat things in this post (the darning eggs! the great trekking colorway! the sheets!) and then blogger told me it wasn't available. Grrrr....

9:44 PM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

Glad you found your darning eggs - that flatter one with the metal edging is neat. The one I have is like your other one, but painted *pink*.. The grey sock yarn is lovely!..

12:28 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

My grandmother had darning eggs, but she got rid of them at some point, unfortunately for me. I'm glad birdsong can send you instructions.

The trekking yarn is very pretty. I love grey.

Great cat sheets!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

That blankie will be amazing :)

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!