knitnana: Surprise! ( Big Sigh)
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Surprise! ( Big Sigh)

Way back a year ago...I knit my only pair of Claudia Handpaint socks. They were the Ingrid's Blues colorway, which I liked a lot, and to begin with I had problems just getting the yarn into a ball...(I believe I called it Claudia Spaghetti, but I finally did get it wound up).

I knit a lovely pair of socks, in only a month...which was a huge improvement over another pair I'm going to talk about...the Cherry Tree Hill Green Mountain Madness Feather & Fan socks. Those were started TWO years ago, and finished a mere 6 months later...yes, to say I have progressed in speed, is a bit of an understatement.

I have worn the CTH socks more, because the colors go more with my clothing, and I've had them longer...

So tonight, when I took off my Claudia socks...I was totally unprepared for this:
That is one huge honkin' hole. I'm really glad I ran into a tutorial not long ago for darning socks. I am going to need them. I'm also glad I saved the leftover yarn...
But here is a comparison of the underfoot of both of those socks. The left one is the CTH. It's 6 months older (and a lot more "time on the hoof") than the sock on the right, the Claudia sock.

Not sure what the base yarn is on Claudia...It's my understanding that CTH uses Louet Gems. But I knew when I knit up the Ingrid's Blues that the yarn was far softer than I like for a sock...I guess I should have decided there and then to use the gorgeous yarn (the colors are phenominal) in something else. A Chevron Scarf perhaps...
(sigh)
So here is another knitting rite of passage...My FIRST sock hole, after only a year of sporadic wear. How many of you sock knitters darn your socks?

I will darn them. If only because it's an art form I'd like to add to my repetoire. No. I like the socks, too...Hmm...wonder where my mom's darning egg is?
*wink*

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to learn how to darn. I tend to like to knit at a fairly loose gauge for socks, I prefer soft fabric, and I've noticed a hole or two threatening in some of my handpainted yarn (a pair from Tempest and a pair from Fleece Artist) socks that are barely worn. Massive pilling, too.

I think what I'm going to do from now on is go down a needle size for the heel and toe so I get a tighter gauge. I've heard that helps them last a little longer.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

OUCH!! Poor sock heel.. Wish we shared a backyard fence because I know exactly where Mom's darning egg is located (I just haven't used it yet) {g}

3:49 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Claudia's base is Louet Gems too. Looks to me like your gauge is tighter on the CTH than the Claudia's. I'm eager to see your darning adventure tho :)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I don't darn them, I chuck them.

6:48 AM  
Blogger IndigoMuse said...

Good luck with darning :)

My theory is that though some companies use the same base yarn, they might use different wash agents which seem to make the yarn harsher. I've compared Claudias to Koigu and they certainly don't feel the same to me. I wonder if they use sythrapol (sp?) to wash the fiber once dyed? That's some harsh stuff on natural fibers. Just my theory that has yet to be proved...

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far [knocks rather wildly on wood] no holes, but OTOH, I barely wear any of my handknit socks except for the ones that are so felted that holes are probably impossible.

I'm hoping that after the election that the hyperbole dies down but I'm afraid that's when the reality of our financial situation is going to be apparent.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Yikes!

I don't darn; I chuck.

I've only had that happen to one pair of socks, and I'm pretty sure it was my own fault for not knitting them at a tight enough gauge.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I hold them over the trash can and say "Oh Darn"! ;o))

Darning is an art though that shouldn't disappear, but I just enjoy knitting a replacement pair and let it go at that. But I do understand the love of a perfectly colored pair of socks.

If I am knitting socks without some nylon content I will hold cotton quilting thread with the yarn in the heel and toe and it keeps them from stretching out as much.

Sorry I have not been keeping up lately, but it's now less than 2 weeks before the big flight and I have tons to do!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That is a rite of passage. I need to learn how to darn myself (thanks for the link to the tutorial), and honestly, I keep staring at those darning eggs and wondering what they heck they're for, so perhaps it's time... Good luck!!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your holey socks. I've knit one pair of socks from Claudia yarn and will never use it again. I don't have holes, but the color has almost completely faded on the underside of the foot (I hand wash all of my socks, so that's not the problem). I'm very disappointed in the yarn.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!