knitnana: Almost Speechless Monday...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Almost Speechless Monday...

In light of the economic news today...I've been wondering just what to say. This weekend I was worrying about adding to my stash. Tonight? Well, that 401(k)nit plan that we merrily created a year or so ago? I think it's time to put it on hold, as more than yarn gets stashed...

Seems as if there's little available as a safe haven, but I tend toward local credit unions with high ratings. I'm a conservative gal.

And I'm not completely blown away by it all, tho' it was the sort of newsday that had me glued to CNBC this evening.

While at first, I concentrated on Plain Vanilla socks - yes, I did cast on that second sock after all - I also worked on Seaweed Socks, too. And finally as my brain kicked into what I was hearing, gathering a calm that had been fleeting at first, I realized the calm I was developing would work to my advantage if I picked up the Star of Evening shawl again...so I did about 1/2 a repeat of lace as I dropped my heart rate back down to normal. Lace is such a mantra of peace for me...I'd almost forgotten...

I had a conversation with a lawyer friend today, who got the news of the financial markets before I did. We both discussed what we thought of the economy as it stands...I'm a believer in the system. I don't think we're doomed.

But that doesn't mean I don't think we all shouldn't start focusing on what's important to each of us right now - shoring up your position, whatever that might be...Probably the most crucial (and most difficult with prices going up more every day) is to do your best to reduce your debt as much as you can.

I've enjoyed reading Crazy Aunt Purl's experiences this year as she committed herself to reduce buying to essentials. I think her experiences are enlightening for anyone who's never tried to realize just what "enough" might be for them...

But as I said, I did manage to return to knitting my Star of Evening shawl, and that made someone a bit upset:
She had a chart in her lap, instead of ME!

(It's occurred to me that maybe some of you haven't recognized the shawl behind The Meezer in her chair...it's the Triangle Shawl from Jackie E-S of HeartStrings Fiber Arts and was the very first lace shawl I made. I had no idea that using Lion Wool Ease would be a bad choice for that first shawl - it never blocked. (sigh)

But it's warm. And The Meezer likes it. Here it is in the modeled shot from August 2005 (wow, hasn't MY hair changed?):
TriangleLaceShawlModeled

I hope everyone sleeps well tonight...worrying about what's going to happen in the markets tomorrow won't change it a bit!
((((hugs))))

8 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Like you, I'm an optimist. And we can't do much to change the economy. But we can hold the idiots in charge responsible. Right?

6:44 AM  
Blogger margene said...

It feels like we've been here before (Enron?), but living small is always a good idea.
The shawl is beautiful!!

7:21 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm terrified for the country, but (as Carole said) we can try to hold the jackasses in charge responsible. VERY responsible.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I have to second Carole. Your Heartstring shawl is beautiful; I hadn't seen that before.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lecturing my clients for years about mortgaging their homes to the hilt. It just seemed insane. And for no good reasons either.

The Ones In Charge have their share of blame to shoulder but greed comes in small packages too.

That shawl is pretty!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

We've cut back a lot as well. I think many people are doing that these days with the economy being what it is.

Gorgeous shawl!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

This is the part where I'm glad that we really don't have much in the stock market, especially in a short-term sense. Just retirement funds, and those have some time to recover. So I'll sleep all right tonight -- we'll see how I feel after November 4th!!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I adore your Triangle Shawl. I made one for myself a couple of years ago and it's one of my favorites. :)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!