knitnana: Several Firsts!!!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Several Firsts!!!

It's been an eventful evening. I came home and immediately cooked chicken to go with the Mexican "burritos" I'm making for lunches this week (who knows why these cravings hit us, but I rarely can stop myself when I'm on a bent for spicy food!). My need for nachos morphed to quesidillas and then to burritos...I'm glad I know how to cook them, and thank you, Birdsong for your nachos recipe - I will try it! (see the comments to the previous post if you'd like to see what she wrote...)

I decided it was time to put another pair of socks OTN, so pulled out some Claudia in her Ingrid's Blues colorway. I've had this for quite some time, along with a couple of other colorways, but have never knit Claudia's yarn (the colors are gorgeous!). I decided to try out the new ball winder, so opened up the skein, laced up the winder and before I knew what was happening....

I had Claudia Spaghetti. Please tell me this is a newbie ball winding problem? I hate to think this will happen with the other skein (I may suddenly develop SSS when I've never had it before...it took two hours to undo this mess).

But...

undo the mess I did, and managed to wind it, as well (yes, that's a 1/2 of a TP tube there in the middle to keep the ball from collapsing on itself...)

My Harmony needles arrived today! I was so excited...and I'm in love. I'd promised myself when they arrived I'd try out knitting socks on two circs...so there are two 16-inch size 1 needles up there in that photo. I also decided to get a set of my size 1 dpns, a size 2 short fixed circular so that if I had a problem I could pair it with my Susan Bates size 2 (and have two distinctly different needles to use in this process of learning to knit with two circulars), and size 4 needle tips with two 24-inch cables so I could decide if I really like the Harmony set. I've been pretty disappointed with my Denise set - I'm definitely NOT a plastic needle gal...

Now a couple more firsts:

For the first time using the two circulars method to knit a pair of socks, I'm also using Judy's Magic Cast-on for my toe-ups. I'm not in love with my technique yet - it's not Judy's fault - I think I didn't M1 correctly. I should probably have knitted thru the back loop. I'm really good at forgetting to do that...so there are teensy holes where I increased. Tell me what you think? Anything glaring there?

I like the method. And I'm proud of myself. Because I usually tend to stick with the tried-and-true. If you need help learning to do this cast on, I went here and watched Cat Bordhi's video. It really helped me to visualize things....

One totally non-knitting (and probably irrelevant) comment: I am SO pleased with the manner used to resolve Gideon's departure on Criminal Minds. I worried most of the week, waiting to see the final episode with my heart-throb, Mandy Patinkin, and hoping against hope that they didn't kill him off. I would have had a difficult time resolving his suicide (come on, isn't that what you thought was going to happen?).

It's so much nicer that he's just setting off into the sunset to put his head on straight and recapture his equilibrium, to find the joy in life again! Mandy, not that I really think you'd EVER read this, but here is my two cents: if indeed you left because you thought the show's writers were making it too violent, I think you were right. Much as I adore the other characters in the show, I'm not sure I'll continue to watch. It is too much.

And I admire someone who stands up for his beliefs. (But I do wish we'd had a little more warning you were leaving)

(Ok..I really don't think he's reading this, folks! Just wanted to put myself on record, tho')
lolol
(((hugs)))

10 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

Beautiful yarn! I haven't had the nerve to try the two circular method yet, but I'm comfortable with double points after a lot of practice. That hank, pre-untangling, looked like something my sweet late Moki would do to a skein of yarn {g}. And, yes, on M1, you either twist the strand onto the left needle or knit into the back so as to avoid a hole. Like you, I figured that Gideon would commit suicide on Criminal Minds and was glad to see that he was riding off into the sunset instead. I'll probably keep watching despite Mandy Patinkin's departure because I like the characters of Reid & Garcia, though the latter has way too small a part. Like you, I wish that Patinkin was staying on the show as I liked that character too.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I can't believe you didn't use the turkish cast on! It's so much easier than the magic.

I have a ball winder I think I've used 3 times in the 4 years I've had it...I prefer a nostepine for just the reason you discovered...lucky you didn't have to toss the "spagetti"!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

Your toe-up sock is look lovely! I'm actually doing a toe-up myself too.

I didn't watch Criminal Minds yet, so I skipped those two paragraphs. I will say that I'm devastated that Mandy has left the show. I absolutely adore him. I hope I enjoy the show as much as you did, though I probably won't get to it until Friday or the weekend.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

good for you for trying something new!! :)

as for the yarn tangle, I'm not sure what happened but if you'd like we can see if we can figure it out tonight

6:56 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Hooray for learning new things! I've had issues with Claudia's yarn tangling, too. I think it's me, though.

7:47 AM  
Blogger kat said...

oh i love that color yarn! good for you learning the two needle method. I just haven't been able to get the hang of it.

10:08 AM  
Blogger IndigoMuse said...

Haven't tried to circs but love magic loop so I might have to try it sometime. And aren't those new Harmony's gorgeous? I'm adding them to my Christmas list. Enjoy!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Denise Bein Kroll said...

Learning to use a winder took a few attempts for me... stay with it and it will get easier.

I missed the Criminal Minds because of knitting meet-up but I'm glad they didn't have Gideon/Mandy commit suicide either. Who knows, maybe it also leaves the door open for him to come back someday.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love the harmony needles! I ordered some of them too. I can't use them though, alas.

10:21 PM  
Blogger gottaknit said...

I am so going to mis Mandy Patinkin. I have loved him since the series he did before that was medical. Can't think of the name of it... I was thinking suicide also, but my husband said "no" and he was right. I do think it has become more violent and I am not crazy about that. I will be watching to see if I will continue to enjoy it. Love your yarn..

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!