knitnana: Knitnana vs. Nana Sadie Rose
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Knitnana vs. Nana Sadie Rose

Sometimes I feel as if I have a distinct split personality, and this is never more acute than after a big show. (Especially the National Capital Cat Show, which is REALLY big...)

Knitnana gets pushed aside for weeks (sometimes months) before a major show...knitting is sporadic, taking the form of dreaming about what I want to knit, and ordering materials and patterns, but seldom for casting on much more than something simple and that won't take major chunks of time or concentration (lace goes on the backburner, usually).

Nana Sadie Rose gets center stage, and my enjoyment from creating the bags for my business events becomes a chore instead of it's usual delight, especially in the last couple of weeks before the event.

And it's not just my hobbies that have to take a back seat, either, it's my friends, and my housemates (the cats), the routines of normal life (like cleaning and laundry!)...everything is ignored till the bags are done and the show is over (of course, then I come back with orders for more bags! Yippee!).

After the National Capital Cat Show I have a tradition - okay, it's only 2 years old, but it's a tradition, nonetheless. I take a couple of weeks to be. Just be. And breathe.

I have to go to work and I still have my business client to take care of. But Nana Sadie Rose takes a break. The trusty Bernina goes into the shop for annual maintenance.

The first few days are zombie-land around here. It's such a huge investment of energy to do a show - we push and pull, tote and hoist, roll suitcases full of fabric in and out, loading things in and out of the reliable Forester that carries us wherever we go. And then 2 days of meet and greet, chat and hug, standing on concrete floors! Whew!

So I come home, unload, and leave most things sitting where they land, for at least a couple of days. Then slowly (and this time it's been most of the week!), unpacking begins. Tablecloths, backdrops, and clothing go into the laundry, fabric comes out of the suitcases and back onto the shelves. Spreadsheets are updated with sales and ordering information. And there are usually a couple of orders hanging from before the event that have to be finished up, packaged, and mailed.

It's not a complete break, after all! :)

But last night, this was the activity - having made it through two solid weeks of no downtime at all (as the show eats up 2 vacation days and a weekend, with workdays on either side of it) a few days of feeling like a total zombie, but still having to get to work...finally - a Friday night.

Dinner was take-out from our new Ukrops. Yesterday was somewhat chilly (upper 60s/low 70s) and rainy (WHOOHOO - we finally got a whole day of it, we were soooooo dry!), so I wanted comfort food - and yes, it wasn't really healthy fare - meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but I also had vegies & fresh fruit). I love Ukrops "ready to eat" and salad bar sections, but there's a Starbucks, and sushi bar, too...

Then...there was this...

That's Anne's Fine Cabled Mitt (the LEFT hand, as the right one is finished) - oh...go check out the new Knitty as she has a beautiful chunky weight lace afghan pattern there that is soooooo going on my queue!

And who is that on that CD? None other than Criminal Mind's Mandy Patinkin singing Oscar & Steve.

What? You didn't know Mandy sang? Oh. Well. Prepare yourself. His voice is the one Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rogers would have written for, if they could have...don't blast this music at full volume, okay? His voice is meant to be listened to, not overwhelmed by...(it does that all on it's own, without the volume's assistance...)

(sigh)
Friday was just about the perfect evening, in my estimation...

So now Saturday has dawned. I have a to-do list a mile long. I will do what I can, and rest a lot. Because Nana Sadie Rose just about wiped Knitnana up off the floor with a dishrag (knitted, of course!) last weekend... lolol!

As you can see, The Meezer is a bit miffed that anything comes between her and...

the truly important things in her life...

C'mon, Mom...play with me?

9 Comments:

Blogger Pam! said...

Enjoy you time off and relax back into Knitnana mode. (not that Knitnana isn't busy. LOL)
Glad to hear the show was good! Make sure you get some extra rest and indulge in more nights like last night!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I hope it's a lazy enjoyable Saturday for you! I didn't know Patinkin could sing! I just went and listened and I like the CD done in Yiddish!!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you get all the rest and relaxation you can this weekend - Enjoy!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Patinkin sings? Wow!

Enjoy relaxing in your KnitNana mode and with the Meezer this weekend. It sounds like you totally deserve it. I got exhausted just reading about the whirlwind of activity that surrounded Nana Sadie Rose.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Remember what the P-Man says...chillax!!

I saw Mandy on Broadway in Evita twice when I was in middle school/high school (don't remember the year exactly)and have the original soundtrack CD set. His voice is awesome!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

You certainly deserve to kick back after all that hard work! I hope you spend the rest of the weekend resting up as well...

10:13 PM  
Blogger Shelob said...

Another Mandy P. Fan! Yeah! Oh, yes. I knew the man sings. Between "The Princess Bride" and "Chicago Hope" he spent his time doing opera! Gorgeous tenor. Wow.

--Shelob

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Mandy Patinkin can sing! I saw him in "Evita" in London, I think, before it came to New York and have been totally smitten ever since.

I hope your weekend was wonderful and relaxing.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sometimes hard to separate your various identities, and other times, to combine them. (Coming from someone who once lived with someone with multiple personality disorder!)
I hope the show was successful and worth all the effort.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!