knitnana: A Break in the "Madness"
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, September 02, 2007

A Break in the "Madness"

I'm not sure when I've been as wacky in the head! It's a really good thing the National Capital Cat Show is next weekend, and that I have to stop sewing no later than Tuesday...I've made so many bags, done almost nothing but sew (except when NOT in my house due to my full-time job and other commitments), eat, and sleep. There are going to be new photos up on Nana Sadie Rose shortly that showcase just a few of the new bags I've been making (along with a few old favorites).

But tonight I have to take a break. I'm overtaxed physically, and so anything possible that would relax my stressed-out body (and mind!) was mandatory. I was so lucky that this lovely came in the mail before I left work on Friday:

Yes, that's Rowan 42. I know there are probably a few of you (or many, even) who are a bit amazed at me...I am myself. But the Earth Stripe Wrap jumped out and grabbed me from Tan's blog a couple of weeks ago, and when I went to Rowan's site and paged through the pattern photos, I almost swooned...okay, more than once I've talked about feeling as if I were misplaced, and really belonged walking along the moors and through the heath of the British Isles...perhaps really I'm reincarnated from Cathy? I've certainly been attracted, in my life, to more than one Heathcliff...

This book has several patterns I'd consider knitting, not just the cover wrap (in my own choice of colors, tho'):
1. Helsinki Hat Scarf (I think in gray)
2. Eurasia (okay, it's a cardigan, and I think I'll only knit it if I eventually come to a point in my life where I'm literally walking the moors, or perhaps, I finally become a little old lady who's cold all the time! lol!)
3. Snug Hat & Cawdor (both lovely hats)
4. Bressay Hap Shawl

and for my house:
5. Patchwork Blanket (done entirely in Scottish Tweed DK - oh be still my heart!)

Oh, btw, the photography in this book is stunning - and I'm sure most of you Rowan devotees could have told me it would be! (Anyone remember Victoria Magazine? THAT's what I am reminded of as I page thru this, and I have almost every issue of Victoria ever printed...)

BUT...not to be outdone, there is this...and perhaps this will actually be the first thing I make:

Bridges. That's lace. And yes, it's a vest, which is a close relative to a sweater (no sleeves...) - but this is such a slimming vest, long and lean, and vertical lace! Oh. Yes. This one.

OH. And. Belgrade. (Yes, it IS a sweater! But WHAT a sweater! And again, those lovely slimming vertical lines...)

I'm not yet going to subscribe to Rowan. But you know, this is (to me) well worth the money for the book - and most of you will know they're not cheap. But if nothing else right now, it's been the eye candy that calms my feverish frenzy during the prep for the cat show. I can actually look at this and see beyond next weekend. To winter. When maybe there'll be an occasional night that I can sit and knit (and not touch the sewing machine).

Don't get me wrong. I still love to sew. I still love Nana Sadie Rose. But. I think we're ready for a break in the "madness..."

I know I'm sick of sewing, Mommie. Maybe I should resign as sewing assistant?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, You deserve a rest and Meezer, too! Just an FYI Victoria magazine is suppose to be coming back. I believe November 2007 is to be the first new issue. I am so glad and interested to see what the issues will be like- any changes, etc. Love the Rowan this issue also. CM

7:50 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Yes, take a break. I'm glad our feverish frenzy will be done soon.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Rowan magazine. I've always been a bit intimidated by them when they have *strange* designs. I kinda hope they're coming a bit more centered with their fashion sense...at least for a bit.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Its always good to switch up and take a break for a while...and you deserve a rest! Thanks for sharing the patterns in Rowan. :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

A vest is a wonderful place to start on the path to knitting a sweater. I've lost track of how many I've knit, crocheted & quilted over the years. {{{HUGS}}}

11:04 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Poor, tired Meezer... I do fondly remember Victoria magazine and can certainly see you walking the moors wrapped in cape and shawl. There is a lovely cabled cape in the current Vogue Knitting, in pale grey cashmere that you would probably love as well.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I never even heard of Victoria magazine :(

I can't wait to see you knit one of those sweaters!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

A vest sounds much less intimidating then a sweater and the one you picked out is really cute! I hope you enjoyed your very deserved break. :-)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Tomorrow! Tomorrow you can stop sewing!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Hang in there! You'll have a wonderful time at the show.

Those are some lovely patterns; and it's always good to dream about future knits (and walking across the heath).

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!