knitnana: Interweave Knits Fall Issue
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Interweave Knits Fall Issue

OK. I'm not blasting anything here! There are cute things in this issue IF: you're a willowy young thing, you're a young thing, or you're knitting for a baby or guy

In case no one had ever noticed...I am a "woman of a certain age," and I'm VERY picky. And I rarely knit anything other than shawls - there isn't a shawl in the issue (except for one or two in the ads, and I didn't care for those). There's a heavy stocking that I wouldn't knit, but there's a listing of toe-up (my fave) sock patterns on page 60. The Cable article looks good (and I might knit the cabled hat!), and there's the Fair Isle Composed Mitts that might be worth my trying (IF I decide I ever want to do Fair Isle), and since I have no men or babies to knit for...
(You know, I looked at the IK Felt! issue last night and passed IT by as well, because I do NOT felt much...)

I don't like most of the sweaters for the following reasons - a. I don't wear sweaters b/c it's always "way too hot in here, doncha'll think?" - that's the delight of a shawl, hot? take it off, cold? pull it on - b. I've never knit a sweater and don't have the time (or inclination) to start now and c. The sweaters are all styled for the younger gals, to my mind.

And if you think this "over-50" gal is going to wear a SWEATER DRESS? Yeah something like maybe when H-E-DoubleHockeySticks freezes over...THAT is young - and it's CUTE but it's not for me...

There is ONE sweater that MIGHT someday make my "to-do" list and that's the Minimalist Cardigan - BUT...only if I can knit it down to hip-length. My sense of fashion just looks at that sweater length and automatically says "What, you ran out of yarn??"

I know. I KNOW. I'm behind the times. So sue me - I'm over 50. I remember classics. THAT sweater ALMOST makes it...it just - falls SHORT! *wink*

I LOVE the sweater on the back cover b/c the styling is classic. Debi's right - it's a stick-figure wearing it and I'm a long, long way from a stick figure. But I LOVE the classic styling of that sweater (and there are a couple others in the ADs that are classic, too)...I'm not saying that there's nothing worthwhile in the magazine.

But there's not a lot in the magazine for ME...there is for all you younger knitters! (and you smaller ones...)
lolol
What do you expect from a fashion magazine? And that's what IK is. Don't argue - we're all entitled to our opinions...There is gorgeous FASHION knitting between it's covers!

Here's what I think - IK IS A WONDERFUL MAGAZINE...and thankfully my queue on Ravelry is so full, I can get eye candy from this issue and not feel guilty that there's an extremely short list of stuff I might someday knit from here.

OH I really did like the cable hat! And I suspect I'll knit it and WEAR it!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger KarenAK said...

Love your blog, have read it for quite some time, but never commented before. I agree about IK, and only buy it when there are shawl patterns!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara-Kay said...

Well, I'm in my early 60's, and I'm very excited about Interweave Knits. For years, my response to patterns was...well, it sounded like you were quoting me. Nothing was big enough. Now I've lost over 65 lbs., have at least 65 to go, and most knitting patterns fit me! Happy dance, happy dance!

Also, even though I live in sub-tropical Louisiana, I'm finding out that without all that padding I'm cold. Sweaters are indeed welcome. Who knew?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Well heck, I'm 37 and I refuse to wear the teeny cropped styles that are "in" right now - they're about 10 years (or more) too young for me.

Hip and fashion forward is good, but something like IK needs to kind of layer the hip and fashion forwardness to include something for *every* generation, imo.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I really like the Tangled Yoke Cardigan...it is so lovely with the simple cable at the top...

I stopped getting a bunch of knitting mags because they didn't have a smattering of different types of projects...but I'm sticking with IK...cause they have some great stepping stones for new ideas.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

There is a really good Blue Moon Fiber Arts ad on p. 107

7:16 PM  
Blogger Pat K said...

I agree. I love some of the patterns, but they would never work on me. Now, I'm sure my young skinny daughters might feel differently if I knit something for them...

11:17 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Darn, I haven't even gotten the issue in the mail yet and I am disappointed... I have often felt that way about Vogue Knitting, but not IK. I do think their marketers must be looking at the ages of the knit-blogging public and designing with them in mind. Maybe if we all started checking it out at the library instead of paying for it, they would take notice.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

I'm in my 30's and you still wouldn't catch me in a sweater dress or in most of the hip new styles that are floating around the mags. So we'll see how I like the new issue as I'm still waiting for it.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Amen, Amen, Amen....in other words, I agree with your thoughts completely. Plus, I really dislike the new "look" of the interior pages (and I imagine I am in the minority on that one) I know change is good, change is often necessary...sigh. But I haven't been much impressed by IK lately.

Oh well...but I did want to thank you for voicing the thoughts so well! And by the way, love the kitty commentaries ;D

Hugs, Cary at Serenity Farms

10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't thrilled with most of the patterns in Fall 2007 IK. I keep thumbing back through, thinking maybe I looked too fast the time before. What's with the big cowly turtley necks? Maybe because it's over 100 degrees F in the Washington DC metro area, I just can't get excited about Fall fashion yet. Anyhoo, I hope I like the winter issue better.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!