knitnana: Pipe Dreams?
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, October 06, 2006

Pipe Dreams?

Kim has posted a challenge on her blog:

"I'm going to be talking about some of my own "pipe dreams" and I would really love to hear about some of yours! What would YOU do if money was no object? What would you become if you had a guarantee that it would pay all of your bills? If you could choose to become ANYTHING you wanted, no limitations or risks included, what would you be? Or maybe, are you lucky enough to already be living your pipe dream?"

I’ve been thinking a lot about the "what if’s" of living life on my own terms without worrying about finances for at least a couple of years.

I have a vision of myself living in the country in a home with enough land for gardens (mostly for vegetables, fruit, and herbs, but also flowers), having a German Shepherd Dog, rescue space for Siamese cats, and a large, large interior space similar to what I described here a year ago...(But I have Lupus, I cannot spend time in the sun or I risk a flare, and frankly with my physical limitations, I’m really overwhelmed taking care of a small apartment and balcony garden!)

So where is this rather irrational pipedream coming from? It’s probably a throwback to my youth. I always wanted to live in the country, have a husband who was as interested in a "back-to-the-land" lifestyle as I was, and have animals all around. I came of age in the 70s and we really did believe that this was the best lifestyle for successful families...okay, I’ll admit I was a flower child.

But an unpleasant divorce killed the idea of a husband and family. I was a single parent trying to survive in a highly competitive environment with limited skills. I was a feminist. Life got in the way of my dreams.

Ok…How about another pipe dream? One that’s more in tune with who I am today?

I’d love to live in a loft in a small city, near an art and cultural center and good libraries, with lots of coffee, tea, yarn, book, and fabric stores within walking distance. I’d love to ditch my reliance on a car and use public transportation, except for unusual circumstances.

The loft would have to be large enough to accommodate my yarn and fabric stash and the business end of Nana Sadie Rose, The Meezer and a smaller dog – perhaps a Boston Terrier - and of course, the MFMPPF! I’d want the kind of public spaces in the place to be large enough to entertain for large family gatherings. (The private spaces can be cozy and off-limits to the rest of the world!) NO carpets, just hardwood floors, and perhaps a single wall of rough brick. The entire space would be easy to clean, and open, and furnished with what I call minimalist antiques like a very long, rough-hewn, walnut trestle table in the dining room surrounded by continuous-arm and fan-back Windsor chairs in a black, hand-rubbed finish with a black step-back cupboard for white ironstone dishes. Simple overstuffed couches, chairs, and ottomans in the living room, with everything covered in white denim slipcovers you can toss in the wash.

A life that allows for plenty of pleasure – reading, knitting, sewing, good food, good friends, close family. Um...may I add in a housekeeper that comes in once a week? lolol!

It’s probably a pipe dream. I’m fairly resigned to living the rest of my life working where I am (and I’m not complaining, I like my job), knitting and sewing when I can, and caring for The Meezer & Co.
(((hugs)))

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

That's a nice dream...and all very possible...

My dream is to pay off our house so my DH can get a job closer to home and we can spend more time as a family. I would only have one paying job and have more time to knit and write. Ahh...dreams are nice. :)

Ruinwen
:)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Sallee!

Our dreams are slowly but surely coming to be reality and I can't wait. The place I always dreamed about living in and the type of people I feel akin to are all in one lovely place where we hope to head soon.
A lake, friendly people, artists and good food. And plenty of laughter and love thrown in for good measure ( a LYS that rocks too, can it get much better than that!)

Will keep you posted but for now, there is my dream life.

Thanks again for sharing yours. Sounds like youve got it pretty darn good....as does the Meezer.

Huggs, G

PS Ripple afghan...yikes, you are right, I didn't make the connection before.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Save me a room in that dream house! It sounds lovely. I too have the flower child dreams of self-reliance, with the reality check that comes with age and experience.

The really great thing is that, dreams aside, life is fine just as it is. :)

Okay, you won't believe this: my verification code in order to post is -- afrogrh. A FROG! How cool is that. MoonFrog :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Ooh, I do love this post! I could esp. see you in the loft, nurturing your creative side with breaks for man and cat:)

8:19 PM  
Blogger kat said...

oh i can see the place you describe & it sounds lovely!

10:28 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I love your dream, especially the elegant furnishings and the proximity to good libraries, bookstores, and yarn.

I'd like to be one of the librarians in in one of the good libraries. We have a book discussion group. Many of our members bring their knitting, and I furnish tea and scones. Sometimes we work on a charity project...Please join!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!