knitnana: Unbloggable Knitting
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Unbloggable Knitting

It's that boring time of year for a knitting blog: the Christmas gifts are in process and you know it's entirely possible that the recipient could happen to see what you're working on if you post about it.
(sigh)
Suffice to say, I'm making progress. Yesterday I had Christmas with my daughter's family (yes, they left today for parts south), and then I also had to do my client's books, too, over this weekend, so it left very little time for knitting. But the last gift is OTN and moving along. Oh, and I also made a WW friendly pizza tonight, which you can see over on Nana Sadie's Place, but be prepared...it got a touch overdone!

It's been super cold again. We got an icy mix overnight, but by mid-morning it had turned over to just a cold rain...and by this evening the sun was peeking through. Can you believe they're saying it will be 60 tomorrow? That's the sort of craziness we have around these parts.
;)
Still, I've been trying to come up with something to keep the chilly air from seeping in around these windows, especially at my desk and my sewing machine. I keep the thermostat quite low, especially now that the electric company has won approval for it's second rate increase just this fall! And since I rent, I can't have good thermal windows installed...

Today, I decided to try something my mom taught me 30 years ago: lining the window with heavy plastic, taped along the moulding. Overtop, of course, are the thermal drapes that I haven't been terribly happy with, since you get what you pay for, and these were of the more inexpensive persuasion!. But it shouldn't surprise me that the air come down UNDER the bottom of the drape right onto my legs. I think the plastic and tape are working to minimize that, at least.

Obviously, it's not a solution for any window you want to have open to the light. But I keep both of these windows covered so that my ocular migraines don't hit when I'm working. It will probably be the end of the week before I can put the plastic on the window behind the sewing table. Monday is yoga, Tuesday is the Red Hats' Christmas dinner. Perhaps on Wednesday night - which is just when the temps are supposed to edge back down again!

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, I hope that works! I've also heard that there's a shrink-wrap sort of plastic you can put on the windows for the winter that makes a big difference. You still can't open them, but you get more light, so that might be good for your light-bearing windows :)

12:17 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

We've used the shrink wrap plastic on windows to good effect. Goes on very quickly, shout a hair dryer at it and it tightens up so you can barely notice it. Some years we manage to reuse the plastic, too.

Stay warm!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hey, anything to keep energy costs down and the heat up!!! I remember doing that growing up too and have done it here. We now have storm windows. Even so we still have one room that you can feel the breeze!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I need to do something like that in here, if I can figure out a way to put it behind the mini-blinds so I can still watch the bird feeders..

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Problem with the thermal drapes is that to get any effect from them you have to keep them totally closed - no window light for you!

Unbloggable knitting - it used to be just "unmentionables". The language morphs with the time. :-)

4:13 PM  
Blogger VPI Dyes said...

In my apartment I put up some heavy thermal black-out curtains that I bought on sale at JC Penny awhile back to replace the awful vertical blinds that come with the apartment. That alone lowered our heating/cooling bill by $10 a month! Meanwhile the cheap-o "thermal curtains" I bought at Kmart for the bedroom are AWFUL! Yes, you DO get what you pay for!

Since you're a whiz with a sewing machine, maybe you could make your own? They sell black-out curtian fabric at Jo-Anns Fabrics and there are some super coupon deals going on right now. When I was there last weekend all of the curtain stuff was 50% off!

Stay warm!!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!