knitnana: Detour on the Road to Another Shawl!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Detour on the Road to Another Shawl!

I was merrily knitting along last night when I came to the end of the first repeat of the body of Star of Evening. And I read the instructions for how many times to knit the 24 rows of pattern depending on the size shawl I wanted to make. Well. I thought, Hmm...how many yards of this Meezer yarn do I have, anyway?

And pulled out the un-caked skein to look at the tag. There was no problem with the yardage. But. I read the label a bit more carefully for the "first" time (I say that because I've had this yarn at least 2 years...I'm sure I looked at it before, or should have looked at it before, right? sigh).

It read: "SUPERWASH Merino."

My heart skipped a beat (this isn't a good thing, mind you, it scares me - I've survived a heart attack).

Superwash? Really? Surely I knew when I ordered over 1000 yards of this yarn that I was planning to make a lace shawl (of some pattern or another) with it! How could I have missed that this was superwash?

Some of you may be wondering why I worried? Well. Superwash merino, I thought, can't be blocked. LACE, to truly look delicate and light and airy, is BLOCKED.

Emails passed back and forth between me and several folks: Opal who knits some of the most amazing shawls I've ever seen; Jocelyn who test-knits for Anne; Jane (tho' I know that Jane mostly knits acrylics, she holds my hand when I panic); Roxie who hand-dyed The Meezer colorway, and assures me that superwash can be blocked; Ruinwen, knitting teacher extraordinaire, and Reiki master; Judy who shares my compulsion for multiple projects of both lace and socks.

By afternoon, I'd made a decision: I would damp block the Star of Evening to this point. But...I had early on succumbed to order laceweight merino from Kim in the Seascapes colorway (perfect for a Star of Evening, I think!), and the wondrous Meezer colorway will become another sock-weight Clapotis which looks extra fabulous UN-blocked! (Kate even begged me - via Ravelry group - NOT to block my previous one, and I haven't!)

BUT...Judy and I were curious - just what would happen if you block superwash sock yarn? So, across the continent from each other, with different patterns, and superwash yarns, we're conducting an experiment and taking notes - You, dear readers, will be the beneficiaries of our combined experiences!

My first sample is The Meezer yarn - fingering weight superwash merino from Zen Yarn Garden, knit on size 3 Addi Lace needles...
please excuse the waterspots on my ironing board - it's "damp blocked" on the needles (as I didn't want to cast off and create a swatch (which Judy has said she will do!).

I'll fill you in on my success (or not!) tomorrow when it's dry.

13 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I think it will block okay. I did the Forest Canopy out of the Happy Feet and it has some nylon in it and it did just fine. The swatch is very pretty though!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your "swatch" is gorgeous.

I swatched not once, but twice. Once with some leftover STR, and once with some fingering weight alpaca (couldn't find any non-Superwash merino in my odds and ends). I will report on my blog how the blocking goes.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm pretty sure it will block just fine.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

It looks fantastic! I'm so glad the yarn didn't strrreetch like some superwash yarns do. I'm crossing my fingers for ya! :-)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara-Kay said...

I knit a shawl from some baby weight superwash. I was concerned, as you were. However, it blocked beautifully. I'll be surprised if yours doesn't, too.

9:08 AM  
Blogger RoxanneZYG said...

I'm waiting with bated breath too :) I am sure it'll be fine! I've blocked superwash socks and voila, they come out fine :) I love the wet yarn photo too...something about wet yarn...but that's just me because I dye it so much...I almost prefer the yarn wet for the colour...LOL

9:34 AM  
Blogger IndigoMuse said...

Sending good blocking karma your way...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you! I think the swatch looks amazing! :) And...your sweet words made me blush. :)

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a few companies and indie dyers who dye laceweight superwash, so I don't think blocking will be an issue. Dream in Color laceweight and Cherry Tree Hill laceweight are two that I know of off the top of my head that are superwash.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, fun! As sorry as I am that I didn't have a better answer for you on whether superwash would block (if "I think it should, but...." counts as an answer), I'm glad that you'll have definitive facts for us when this experiment is over!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Wow, it looks like it will block very well! I love the Meezer look:)

7:22 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Whatever the results, The Meezer is sure a lovely color!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

i hope the blocking works out ok Sallee. Im no expert but Im guessing it still will, with such a delicate knit. Fingers-crossed!!!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!