knitnana: Goodies!
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Goodies!

It's been a bit like Christmas around Chez Knitnana this week. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was helping to kick-start the economy all on my own (are you participating?)...

First I did mention I think that I'd ordered a couple of lace books?

Lacis is an excellent alternative source (to Amazon) for knitting (and other needlework) books and more esoteric supplies, as well. I've found them wonderful to deal with...

The books are two I've had on my wishlist for some time. At present, I've only had a short time to review Evelyn Clark's Knitting Lace Triangles but I'm fascinated, and of course, ready to cast on immediately - forget that there's already one shawl OTN and another planned and purchased for!! lolol

I'm going to be good however. The book is fabulous in helping you use 4 lace patterns and transition rows to create your own triangular shawl (which we all know is my favorite style, right?) It offers charts to help you decide on size, how much yarn to estimate for each of the patterns, and so on. I know I'm going to have fun with it, even if I just decide to create one of the shawls EC has already offered inside the covers and don't create my own version. But who knows? I might get brave!

I didn't realize, till I read the Special Thanks at the back of the book that Ms. Clark is associated (somewhat at least) with the Voluntary Simplicity folks in the Pacific Northwest...all those folks who wrote eloquently on their experiences and philosophies during the 1990s and early 2000s. She mentions Jacque Blix, whom I immediately recognized from her book co-authored with her husband, David Heitmeiler, Getting A Life. I had no idea that Ms. Blix was also a knitter! Sometimes, the connections we find over time just boggle the mind, you know? It's just one more example of that 6-degrees of separation phenomenon!

The Margaret Stove book is a reference that I've coveted since reading about it on Franklin's blog some time ago. When I saw that Lacis had it as well, I justified the purchase as a bit of "savings" with regard to the shipping charges! *wink* I'll be perusing it over the next few weeks, and will attempt to offer something about it - eventually! :)

Then...today?

My latest Knitpicks order. The new longer (40 inch, and 47 inch) fixed circulars in my favorite sock needle size 1s so I can perhaps learn the Magic Loop method, additional cables (in 24, 47, and 60 inch lengths) for my Harmony interchangeables set, Harmony dpns in size 10.5 for hats, a needle sizer (Oh, KP, PLEASE consider putting the sizes ON the needles?) and a yarn guide for two-color knitting...oh! And that's three skeins of the new Gloss laceweight in Aegean. While I apologize for the darkness in the photo, I'd hoped the real color would be a touch lighter so that I'd think this a true ocean-hued yarn for Seascape Shawl by Evelyn Clark - but this yarn is definitely a dark teal. Only a tad bit darker in the photo that in reality...

Perhaps the Aegean is that shade? I've never been there. But I think this shawl calls for a lighter shade of blue/green.
(sigh)
Not sure what I'll do with the Gloss - it's a stunning shade, and yes, Jane has already suggested I stash it and wait till another pattern comes along...no problem, except that I've already got so much stashed for that reason!!
lol

There's more. But I think I'll save a bit for later, okay? A fabulous gift deserves it's own day's blog post, doncha think? So...come back tomorrow for "Goodies, Part Deux!"

EDITED TO ADD The voting on The Meezer continues through the weekend - by all means, if you haven't voted and would like to support my darling girl's cause, we'd both be delighted to have you included...just click the "Meezer" link in the post below - only one vote per computer...but if you happen to vote from work and from home, who's to know? Thank you all so much for your support!
(((hugs)))

5 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

"Knitting Lace Triangles" certainly looks like a fascinating book; something even experienced lace knitters can learn from. I fear it would flummox a newbie like me.

Oh, and I agree with you about the KP fixed circulars. I'm not always in possession of a needle gauge or the package.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I'm really interested in that Margaret Stove book too. I keep meaning to pick it up and I keep forgetting to. Ah well. One of these days. :)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow I must be out of the loop; I've never seen those books before. *drool* We missed you at MD S&W. :( I voted for Meezer today 'cuz she is such a sweetheart and she helps take care of you! :)

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen "Knitting Lace Triangles" before, but it looks very cool.

I already have lace on my needles.

I want more! :-)

I always carry my KP needle sizer around because I really love the little magnifying stitch counter with the "cross hairs" on it. Makes it so much easier for these aging eyes to see those little sock stitches.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I voted for the Meez ages ago, can I vote again? :)

Unless you want to do 2 socks on one circ magic loop (a technique I loathe btw - each row is an interminable slog, hehe) a 32" circ is plenty long for one sock magic loop. That's what I use - plus if the cables are too long, I find it annoying to pull so much cable thru every row! Your mileage may vary tho.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!