knitnana: Laceweights & Brights...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Laceweights & Brights...

The weekend has flown by again!

We had tickets to the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra's matinee today and heard an outstanding pianist, Elizabeth Batchelder (a local artist, too!) play the Schumann Piano Concerto in A Minor - three curtain calls and standing ovations all around...she is such a treasure!

As I picked up my Tebaldi DFS tonight, I suddenly realized that this is really laceweight - and there's a lot of difference in laceweights as I'm finding...the weight of this one isn't marked, but I thought I'd give you a little perspective:

The topmost example above is Knitpicks Shadow, a merino laceweight, the middle example is my Tebaldi 100% silk Andrea, and the bottom-most is Colourmart's Cashmere/Silk blend that is 3/45 weight (yes, I know it looks like thread...feels like it, too, when you're knitting with it...)

So the middle one is what I'm using for Diamond Fantasy, and the bottom one is what I'm using for Magickal Earth Shawl (which at the moment is only in the planning stages). And my finger is in there for scale. Of sorts. And to prove that I truly have given up my acrylic nails...

I also promised you that I'd show you the sock yarn I'm planning to use next...Deb will recognize this, I suspect...it is indeed elann's Sock-it-to-Me from 3 years ago...which she was very frustrated with when she knit her's up...I'm still going to try my own pair. I love this colorway! It can't be any splittier than Trekking can be...can it?

If all else fails, I have 3 other brights I can use...

Pretty, huh? Think they're cheery enough?

Hope your weekend has been delightful...I got a lot done. And got to enjoy some of my favorite things, too - that makes it a lovely weekend all around!
(((hugs)))

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

It feels good to get a lot done on a weekend, huh? I love all the brights.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Ohhhh, nice yarn--especially Roxanne's stuff!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just finished a pair of cabled socks in Elann's Sock It To Me solids and had no problems with splits. Knit them on Knit Picks circs size 1.

11:24 PM  
Blogger kat said...

Do you wrap your yarn around your finger when you knit? I always wonder if those lace weights would start to cut after awhile they are so thin.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

It's not so splitty, it's just lifeless and dead feeling...no sproing or bounce like sock yarn *should* have. I did use mine for a little bit of crochet for my fugly blanket of doom and it was ok to crochet with but sock knitting? FEH!!!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Glad you had a good weekend. I have Zen Yarn Garden in that same color, I think.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara-Kay said...

You know, I think how splity a yarn is may be related to how much of a mismatch it is with a knitter's technique. Not saying someone knits "wrong", just saying their way doesn't work with some yarns.

I have observed that a yarn my DD hates with a passion/threw away!/Wildfoote, didn't split at all for me. She knits uber-tight, Continental. I'm a loose thrower.

Point? you may breeze right through with your lovely pink yarn. We await progress reports.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Pretty yarn! Lace weight can mean so many things these days. Cobweb weight still scares me! :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

Beautiful sock yarn! What a delight to be able to choose from such largess. :)

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!